PDA

View Full Version : NADA 2014 - Who's making plans????

Larry Bugg
01-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Have you started making plans to attend yet???

I have already registered for the Show and have a hotel room reserved for 4 nights. Where do you stand? Less than 6 months away and I'm starting to get excited. John is telling us all about the Austin area and things we can do outside the hotel/show to have a great vacation but for me all the excitement is at the hotel.

In 2010 I was pretty new to keeping discus. When I get excited about something I like to find a way to get involved. It just makes it that much more fun. I read on Simply about the 2010 NADA Show that was being held in June and thought what better way to get to know others in the hobby and maybe get a chance to meet some of the "Discus Gods". I knew that being a novice I would probably be on the outside looking in but that was ok. Boy was I wrong. My first night there I found myself in John's pick up truck with John (President at that time), Willie Loh (past President) and one of my discus heroes Dick Au. We went to John's house to see his fish room. Thought I was in discus heaven!! I quickly found out that the "Discus Gods" were just ordinary people like you and me and they didn't care if I had no experience or a lifetime of experience. I was one of them and made to feel very welcome. The speaker sessions were great but the best part of the weekend was hanging out in small groups listening, sharing and learning. Most of the people there were posters from Simply so I already knew who most of them were once I put names to screen names.

So, where are you with your plans? Have you considered it? I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it will be a experience you won't forget.

Did you attend the 2010 or 2012 Show? Share a couple of things that really made the trip worthwhile for you.................

Discus-n00b
01-02-2014, 05:49 PM
My first show was the 2012 show. Got my hotel room, and just did my Banquet/Registration for this years show. Right now I'm booked for 3 nights, not sure if I need anymore. We'll see. As of right now I'm tempted to make the drive from the Carolinas, as I'll be carrying my photography gear (which includes two cases and tripods and such)+ suitcase and really don't want to deal with possible lost luggage/bag fees and what not at the airports. Plus it gives me an excuse to take the car and put some miles on the open road. ;) 16.5 hour drive each way not including stops or traffic, may have to break it up. If anyone else from the general area has the same idea as me and wants to convoy let me know! Again its one of those things I'm gonna have to play by ear the next couple of months.

I agree Larry, good time for all doesn't matter if you are a big name seasoned vet or new to the hobby! I just enjoyed putting faces to the screen names and talking to them face to face. A lot of times you will develop a view of someone through forum posts where sarcasm or tone won't come through as well but when you meet them in person it changes that whole view and its like a friend you've known for years.

John_Nicholson
01-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Why do I feel that last part might be directed my way.....LOL.

I have not booked anything yet but I bet I show up.....

-john

Larry Bugg
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM
If anyone else from the general area has the same idea as me and wants to convoy let me know! Again its one of those things I'm gonna have to play by ear the next couple of months.

Chad and I have talked about driving out but haven't made any decisions on transportation yet. It will depend on whether or not my wife can go and time constraints. If she doesn't go then I will definitely be driving. When it gets closer we will have to talk about it.

sdrexler078
01-02-2014, 06:17 PM
This will be my first show. I'm super excited and already have hotel reservations just need to get them for the show. And I've already marked it on the calendar to take off work

Skip
01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
it will be fun!!

Atlanta was amazing!!

lots of people that just want to talk and look at discus!!

Discus-n00b
01-02-2014, 06:39 PM

LOL I was just saying in general John, no one specific in mind.

Larry Bugg
01-02-2014, 06:58 PM

I have not booked anything yet but I bet I show up.....

-john

If the shoe fits................... or should I say dress

nwehrman
01-02-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm so excited! Absolutely can not wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

John_Nicholson
01-09-2014, 12:58 PM
I went ahead and made my room reservations. I would hate for the OMNI to run out of rooms before I got mine.

-john

Discus-n00b
01-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Might be a bit tough to find a room to sleep in when a man dressed in well...a dress goes knocking on doors. ;)

John_Nicholson
01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
LOL....I am sure someone would let me in....Don't know if they would let my wife and kids in though....they can be pretty scary at times...

-john

Melissa
01-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Just moved to Dallas area this year. Don't have any fish yet, but I'll be there :)

John_Nicholson
01-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Just moved to Dallas area this year. Don't have any fish yet, but I'll be there :)

Sounds great. You will have a blast and there will be several of us from the FW area in attendance.

-john

rsawest@yahoo.com
01-19-2014, 01:53 PM
I'll be there representing the Frostbite Falls contingent. I've got the hotel room reservations made, just waiting for a decent air fare... I'm excited to see all the discus nuts again!

Second Hand Pat
01-19-2014, 02:02 PM
I am, still need to make all the arrangements.

John_Nicholson
01-19-2014, 02:05 PM
I'll be there representing the Frostbite Falls contingent. I've got the hotel room reservations made, just waiting for a decent air fare... I'm excited to see all the discus nuts again!

Great to hear. Make sure and talk that useless Willie into attending.

-john

yim11
01-19-2014, 07:39 PM

-john

He has to be there for a DPC meeting.

John_Nicholson
01-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Yep...we are just waiting on you to join us.....

-john

yim11
01-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Yep...we are just waiting on you to join us.....

-john

Working as hard as I can on it...

Larry Bugg
01-19-2014, 09:53 PM
If Willie shows up then it will be a party of three. Woohooo,

musicmarn1
01-19-2014, 09:57 PM
ok im booking it - im going ! BUT question - i am setting up the 230, just hauled the used but still godly to me two 40g sumps over to my scrubbing area today got stuff from Andrew - Drew's discus going out sale (so grateful for your sage advice and stellar stuff Drew, really, thank you) to set up the 230 plus 80g stumpage. my plants are IN and this next week or two is setting all that up. THEN will be the school of dithers i love my rummy nose but might do something fun and different for myself, and THEN is buying some big *** discus that can go in the planted established for months tank in say four months from now :() SO should i start saving to buy fish there or will that not be an option since im Driving and will be able to do whatever it takes to drive those fish right back from TX to CO myself personally and keep temps and conditions good and my husband is coming though he doesn't know it yet.

John_Nicholson
01-19-2014, 10:03 PM
I brought fish back from the ACA in Denver many years ago. I used a big ice chest with about 6 - 8 inches of water in it. I got a power inverter and ran a small air pump and a small heater. Fish did great. Looking forward to meeting you.

-john

nwehrman
01-19-2014, 10:57 PM
:) going to be a party!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicmarn1
01-20-2014, 01:09 AM
perfect ! thank you

I brought fish back from the ACA in Denver many years ago. I used a big ice chest with about 6 - 8 inches of water in it. I got a power inverter and ran a small air pump and a small heater. Fish did great. Looking forward to meeting you.

-john

Chicago Discus
01-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Hello Larry,
Thanks for starting this thread, what a great opportunity we have here to meet all the Discus people around the country and around the world. This will be my second NADA show and all I can say is that if you like the Discus Hobby and want to succeed this is definitely the place to be. The knowledge thats at the show is worth much more than the cover price for a plane ticket and a hotel room. The Discus are second to none as far as quality goes and for new or old people to the hobby you get a better understanding what quality is. Photos and videos are one thing but to be up close and personal with the fish is another. You get the opportunity to mingle with Discus breeders and importers and get there take on the hobby. You will meet some of the coolest and strangest people you will ever lay eyes on ( Its quite a motley crew) but everyone has something to offer and share in there experience. It doesn't matter if you go alone or with someone the group will make you feel at home because we all have the same love and interest of these magnificent creatures. So if you guys have the time and means I would defiantly make the trip......My support.....Josie

Melissa
01-20-2014, 04:13 PM
This is going to be so awesome :D
I'm bringing my camera for sure. :D!!!!!!!!

Cambik
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Just know that I live 30 minutes from the hotel and even I am going to be staying at the hotel. There would be so much I would miss if I didn't. Not to mention We are there to make sure the show runs smooth as well.

Willie
02-01-2014, 06:21 PM

-john

That's hard to take, but I can't argue. If anyone knows about useless, it's John.

Willie

John_Nicholson
02-01-2014, 08:19 PM
LOL.

-john

musicmarn1
02-02-2014, 01:45 AM
I bringing lots of my water to get as much help as I can and a picture book of my setup. I always feel like I know NOTHING and I've spent months reading and caring for them yet truly I know nothing. So it's totally worth it to have healthier stock and easier (smoother/less stressful being my definition) care :o

OC Discus
02-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Larry,

How many rooms are left for NADA and what are the available dates? I'm thinking about trying to talk my wife into going. If not, and you are passing near Tupelo, MS maybe we can carpool.

Have you started making plans to attend yet???

I have already registered for the Show and have a hotel room reserved for 4 nights. Where do you stand? Less than 6 months away and I'm starting to get excited. John is telling us all about the Austin area and things we can do outside the hotel/show to have a great vacation but for me all the excitement is at the hotel.

In 2010 I was pretty new to keeping discus. When I get excited about something I like to find a way to get involved. It just makes it that much more fun. I read on Simply about the 2010 NADA Show that was being held in June and thought what better way to get to know others in the hobby and maybe get a chance to meet some of the "Discus Gods". I knew that being a novice I would probably be on the outside looking in but that was ok. Boy was I wrong. My first night there I found myself in John's pick up truck with John (President at that time), Willie Loh (past President) and one of my discus heroes Dick Au. We went to John's house to see his fish room. Thought I was in discus heaven!! I quickly found out that the "Discus Gods" were just ordinary people like you and me and they didn't care if I had no experience or a lifetime of experience. I was one of them and made to feel very welcome. The speaker sessions were great but the best part of the weekend was hanging out in small groups listening, sharing and learning. Most of the people there were posters from Simply so I already knew who most of them were once I put names to screen names.

So, where are you with your plans? Have you considered it? I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it will be a experience you won't forget.

Did you attend the 2010 or 2012 Show? Share a couple of things that really made the trip worthwhile for you.................

John_Nicholson
02-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Here is the website with all the info.

http://nadaaustin2014.com/

-john

OC Discus
02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks!

Larry Bugg
02-15-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm getting STOKED!! Hard to believe it is only 4 months away. It will be here before we know it.

zachrabbit15
03-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Whoo made my reservation. Might be a silly question but is there Discus for sale at the show?

Chicago Discus
03-03-2014, 09:57 PM
I will be selling Discus ........Josie

zachrabbit15
03-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Is it just the show fish up for sale I guess would be a better question?.

Chicago Discus
03-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Is it just the show fish up for sale I guess would be a better question?.

No I reserved tanks at the show just to sell :) others will do the same ........Josie

GeauxDiscus
03-03-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm stoked. Can't wait to meet everyone. :)

yim11
03-04-2014, 02:00 AM
It's going to be a GREAT time! Looks like we are going to have LOTS of great show fish, of course the amazing speakers, the hotel is first class all the way, but the biggest part is all the incredible people. I think anyone that went to Dallas or Atlanta can confirm that meeting and talking to all the folks at the show is worth the trip alone. :)

It's a wonderful chance to meet the folks you talk to on the forums, the sellers you buy from, the buyers you sell to, and all the great folks that love this hobby!

Hope to see you there!
-jim

BODYDUB
04-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Is there a thread or list with how many tickets are already purchased or the number of people going???

John_Nicholson
04-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Not really. I have heard through the grapevine that we have already met our room night quota for the hotel. It has never happened this fast so I expect a large turnout. For some unknown reason people almost always wait until right before the show to register with NADA. I wish they would not but it just seems to be how it happens everytime....LOL.

-john

nc0gnet0
04-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Not really. I have heard through the grapevine that we have already met our room night quota for the hotel. It has never happened this fast so I expect a large turnout. For some unknown reason people almost always wait until right before the show to register with NADA. I wish they would not but it just seems to be how it happens everytime....LOL.

-john

That's because of people like me that are still trying to figure out a way to swing another night (ie more time away from work).

Larry Bugg
04-26-2014, 12:05 PM
That's because of people like me that are still trying to figure out a way to swing another night (ie more time away from work).

But you know you are coming to the Show. You don't need to know how many nights you are staying to go ahead and make your Show registration.

nc0gnet0
04-26-2014, 02:05 PM
But you know you are coming to the Show. You don't need to know how many nights you are staying to go ahead and make your Show registration.

I know but it's to be a bday gift to me from the gf.

musicmarn1
04-27-2014, 09:22 AM
:laugh::laugh:Ok funniest moment so far I got an email.........

Hello Dog,
This is your receipt to the NADA show.
Thanks and see you there, Jerry

I always knew I was more canine than human! Now its confirmed!

John_Nicholson
04-27-2014, 09:58 AM
LOL...We do like to have a good time.

-john

ronald sherman
04-27-2014, 10:41 PM
I'VE never went back on a promise but there is going too be a very special guest there excorted john, actually a very close relative just couldn't hold back yess JACK NICHOLSON, himself boy ahould they be a blast shame fund's or low or I wouldn't miss it

Larry Bugg
04-28-2014, 09:34 AM
I'VE never went back on a promise but there is going too be a very special guest there excorted john, actually a very close relative just couldn't hold back yess JACK NICHOLSON, himself boy ahould they be a blast shame fund's or low or I wouldn't miss it

What???

John_Nicholson
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
X2

-john

What???

GeauxDiscus
04-28-2014, 09:48 PM

I'll have what he's having.

yim11
04-28-2014, 10:07 PM
I'll have what he's having.

LOL usually we save the strong drinking for the show but I see no reason against starting early!

Cheers!

:spit: