PDA

View Full Version : Ro water

4discusdude
01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Hello, I wondering how long can you storage the ro water before mix with tap?

brddthomas
01-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Good question. Hopefully, someone will answer. I have been trying to keep Discus for 3 years and every few months I start losing them. I have been using only tap water and using prime. I recently purchased an RO unit to start doing my water changes. I have learned one thing. Keeping Discus is expensive. :)

ewelch
01-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Not experienced with discus yet but I keep RODI water for my reef tank in a 150 gallon storage tank . I usually have to refill it once a month . The water is fine during that time . I do keep a pump in it to keep it circulated and make sure to keep the container covered (top on )

Sergey
01-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I've a barrel with RO water that's been sitting for 9 months in the basement. I can feel a very minimal bacterial slime on the walls, but nothing beyond that. I've been topping off evaporated water in tanks with it, no issues.

Sergey.

nc0gnet0
01-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Hello, I wondering how long can you storage the ro water before mix with tap?

There is no one answer to your question, the answer lies with a lot of mitigating circumstances that will very on many factors. if I were to keep it for any lenght of time (over a week) I would add some chlorine to it then dechlorinate when I wanted to use it.

rbarn
01-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Yeah, it's not so much the water will go bad, but how much bacteria will start growing in it, this can depend on how ofter you clean your storage tank, temp, light and a host of other things.

Sergey
01-13-2014, 01:20 PM
There is no one answer to your question, the answer lies with a lot of mitigating circumstances that will very on many factors. if I were to keep it for any lenght of time (over a week) I would add some chlorine to it then dechlorinate when I wanted to use it.

Won't chlorine dissipate in a day or two?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-13-2014, 01:29 PM
I store RO water for a couple days if I have to and do not see anything wrong with it when in use. I also clean my storage barrels once a month just to make sure nothing growing in them.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Won't chlorine dissipate in a day or two?

Chlorine should dissaspate in 12 hours to 24 hours. Some even say as little as 4 hours without the use of Prime or Safe.