PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Chemical Spill and RO Filtration? Just curious....

ericatdallas
01-10-2014, 03:38 PM
4-methylcyclohexane methanol is the chemical...

anyone know if an RO or RO/DI system is sufficient for this?

I don't live in W. Virginia, but I figured it would be a good thing to know if I ever have something similar happen in my area. That way, I don't have to make a mad rush to the grocery store for water.

ericatdallas
01-10-2014, 03:47 PM
<Sigh> Well, maybe someone has other inputs, but I managed to find something....

low molecular weight, water soluble, non-polar compounds are poorly filtered (i.e. ethanol, methanol).

myofibroblast
01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
How terrible. I haven't heard about this on the news, but I hope FEMA sets up clean water distribution centers for the residents!

I didn't realize there is a large coal-mining/processing industry in Florida that you would have to prepare for this.

RE: RO. I don't use RO but if I remember correctly, RO is not effective in filtering hydrocarbons. Why not just contact the membrane manufacturer and find out?

RE: DI. Deionization does not affect hydrocarbons.

If the city is warning its citizens that the contamination may cause irritation (eyes, gi tract, skin, etc.) then I would be hesitant to use it on pets, fish or not fish, especially when the home filtration methods are dubious at best. Pretend you're on vacation, no water changes.

SMB2
01-10-2014, 05:17 PM
What about activated carbon?

yogi
01-10-2014, 11:38 PM
I don't know if carbon or r/o will help. But this link says that 100's are already sick from the spill.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/10/22258897-hundreds-report-symptoms-after-west-virginia-chemical-spill?lite

dirtyplants
01-11-2014, 12:49 AM
I would think that these chemicals are much too small for carbon.

ericatdallas
01-11-2014, 02:20 AM
I did a quick search and it says carbon will absorb methanol (not sure if variant matters). I'm also not sure if it works well enough that I would be comfortable giving this to my kids.

rbarn
01-11-2014, 10:54 AM
GAC carbon will strip just about any chemical out of water given proper dwell time. This is the expensive carbon found in Chloramine filters.