PDA

View Full Version : Long Separated Pair Reunites

j0onahra3
01-11-2014, 03:49 AM
I have one female and one male pigeon bloods that did fine with each other. The female would lay her eggs and the male would fertilize them right after.
After failing to raise their fry, they somehow ended up fighting and become complete enemies for some strange reason.
After I separated the two for a verryyyyyy long time, I finally reunited the two in hopes that they would pair up together once again.
During their separation, I added two other smaller discus in the tank with the female. One white butterfly male seemed to pair up with my female.
After reuniting my pigeon blood male back with my female pigeon blood, something seemed to spark and the pigeon blood male stole the pigeon blood female from the white butterfly male.
I felt bad, but at the same time I did feel relieved that reuniting the two ended as a success.
I was just about to give away my pigeon blood male, but as a last-minute decision, I decided to try and give them one last try.
He was placed in his own tank, and I really didn't want to use one whole tank just for one discus. He was also nipping at my BN plecos too.

But now here's my question.
I need to move my pigeon blood pair to a tank without any substrate and tape white paper all around the sides except one.
I know I need to do this because I realized that when I tried breeding my discus, the eggs would hatch, but the fry would stick to the gravel because they were a dark coloration.
What filter am I supposed to use in this new tank?
I'm thinking about connecting the tank to the tank I previously had them in, so that they would share the same water.
Would a sponge filter suffice?

And now, here's a picture of my big male pigeon blood.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-11-2014, 08:20 AM
What size breeding tank are you going to use (most use a 20 gal high tank)? It should be bare-bottom and a sponge filter is all you need. Do NOT use the same water from your other tank. Do your 50% to 75% daily water changes in the breeding tank to get your discus in top condition. You can use an AquaClear 30 on the back of the tank with a small sponge filter over the intake tube.

Look in the breeding section of the forum and you will see many threads on tank setup. Hope this helps.

j0onahra3
01-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks! I just moved my pair to their own separate 20 gallon tank.
The female was literally trying to lay eggs on the heater lol. I added in a cone so she can lay her eggs at ease :)