PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on best option for water

jgmagic2000
01-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Hello All,

First time posting and new Discus enthusiast! I need some advice on the best route I should take for my Discus water. My tap water is treated with chloramine, which when broken down results in 1.00pm ammonia. I use Prime to take care of this, but after my bio takes care of the ammonia (day or two) i'm usually left with 40 to 80 nitrates. My aquarium is a low tech planted, so perhaps the plants would help with the elimination of this with time. I considered running the water through a carbon block but that would still leave me with the ammonia to deal with. Is this ok for Discus or should i invest in an RO system. Only thing that worries me with RO is the constant need to add minerals back to the water, but I will if thats the only route for discus. I could also use bottled spring water (I work for a company that sells it), but it does have a bit higher sodium and such. Out of all these possibilities which is the best to have the best chance of success with Discus. I'm also up for other options if they exist. Thanks in advance.

rbarn
01-12-2014, 10:11 AM
They do make ammonia removing chemical media. You could treat your water with Prime in a storage container, then use a small canister filter filled with Zeo-carb, Zeolite or the like to strip the ammonia from the water before adding it to the tank.