PDA

View Full Version : Which fish is cleaner

LizStreithorst
01-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Are Angels more likely to give disease to Discus or are Discus more likely to give disease to Angels?

blueluv
01-12-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm no expert but IMO , each one is exposed to different pathogens and each one develop a resistance . IMO opinion it could go either way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

William Palumbo
01-12-2014, 05:31 PM
I have had it go both ways. Angels got Discus sick...Discus got Angels sick. They seem to fall prey to the same nasties, bit IME, Discus are stronger, and tho may look deathly, usually survive, where as Angels, once you notice they are sick...it's too late...Bill

John_Nicholson
01-12-2014, 05:58 PM
It can go both ways but I think angels can deal with disease better so they are more likely to be carriers.

-john

blueluv
01-12-2014, 06:08 PM
It can go both ways but I think angels can deal with disease better so they are more likely to be carriers.

-john

Aren't they carriers of tapeworms ?

LizStreithorst
01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Does nobody else have an opinion on this? I have a strong opinion but I'd like to hear the experience of others who keep both. Thanks Bill and John Nicholas.

John_Nicholson
01-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Any creature can carry tapeworms.

-john

Aren't they carriers of tapeworms ?

LizStreithorst
01-13-2014, 03:30 PM
'm not talking about the usual suspects. Any fish can carry the usual suspects. That stuff is easily dealt with.

Disgirl
01-13-2014, 03:45 PM
IMO Liz, angels are stronger and can pass stuff on to discus easier. When I have had really sick angels they can hang on much longer than discus who are really sick. But I admit I have never had both fish in the same tank, always in separate tanks, separate rooms.
Barb

LizStreithorst
01-15-2014, 07:18 PM
When I think about it logically I know that Nicholson is right on the mark with the resistance and carrier thing. I've seen it with my own eyes.

From my personal experience I will tell you that I've purchased both Discus and Angels from only 6 different sources in my 13 years of keeping these fish. I've been decimated by two different importers of Discus. I have never gotten any transference of any bad thing from Angels to Discus.

John_Nicholson
01-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Yes but you probably were not buying imported angels either. I would guess the issue is with imported rather then species.

-john

When I think about it logically I know that Nicholson is right on the mark with the resistance and carrier thing. I've seen it with my own eyes.

From my personal experience I will tell you that I've purchased both Discus and Angels from only 6 different sources in my 13 years of keeping these fish. I've been decimated by two different importers of Discus. I have never gotten any transference of any bad thing from Angels to Discus.

seanyuki
01-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Mama bear......Why risk putting angels & discus in the same tank.?......