PDA

View Full Version : Plants and Substrate

cloudz
01-16-2014, 03:47 AM
Hi guys, my current set up is 10 cardinal tetras and 4 rams(2 electric blues and 2 germans). I haven't added my discus yet, but I would like to set my tank up with a couple plants. So far I have one amazon sword. I would like to change my current substrate to one that is black. Mine is white and blue and looks quite awkward. I read that people slowly take portions out, but I was wondering if I can just add the black substrate on top? Is it okay to just "sprinkle" the black substrate on until it completely covers all the blue and white substrate?

Elliots
01-16-2014, 01:34 PM
If you add the black substrate and get Discus the Discus will turn dark. If you are talking about substrate for plants under your gravel that is OK

DiscusLoverJeff
01-16-2014, 02:27 PM
If you get Eco-Complete (black substrate), that is better for plants than just gravel. Removing the old is best to do before a water change, then you can pick up the debre left behind. A heavy water change will remove any ammonia stirred up from the gravel.

cloudz
01-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Yeah I was thinking about buying the ecocomplete. Can I just put that over my existing gravel? I don't really want to remove the old one and put the new one in. Will the discus have a darker shade because they adapt to the black ? I was thinking there color would look better from the contrasting gravel. Would their color change be permanent.

kareen
01-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Thay have a brown ecocomplaete if you don't like the black

OC Discus
01-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Deeper substrates are breeding ground for disease and parasites. Thinner is better.

flutterbug
02-09-2014, 10:14 AM
I had Eco complete in my old aquarium and when I was setting up my Discus tank I went with Pool Filter Sand. Do a little searching on the subject and you will see the general consensus is Pool Filter Sand for Discus. My plants are doing very well so far, some of them even seem to be doing much better than they did in the Eco -Complete. I definitely wouldn't recommend putting it over your old gravel, you will probably regret it and then you will never be able to separate the two and have to start all over again. As you move stuff around and plant you will inevitably pull the old stuff to the surface. Also I think you will see it around the edges. I am a perfectionist though, and that would just drive me crazy, if you aren't as picky it might be ok for you. If you end up completely changing the substrate, I personally would set up a separate tank with your current filters, or just put them in a bucket if you can do it fast enough. I think you'd be taking a huge chance with your fishes health removing it while they are in there. You might have an Ammonia spike or pockets of deadly gas release into the tank. I have heard of this happening.

flutterbug
02-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Another benefit to PFS (pool filter sand) is it is way cheaper. I did my 120 gallon with 2 1/2 bags (not sure of price per bag but a local place near me was $13), while Eco cost me $80 to do my 55 gallon, so I figure it would be close to double to do my 120 gallon. Here is a cool calculation tool you can use.
http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/gravel-rectangular-solid

OC Discus
02-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Put a heater and air stone in a bucket at least if you don't have a quarantine tank while you remove the substrate, then change all the water. Sterilizing the tank with bleach would be even better.

I had Eco complete in my old aquarium and when I was setting up my Discus tank I went with Pool Filter Sand. Do a little searching on the subject and you will see the general consensus is Pool Filter Sand for Discus. My plants are doing very well so far, some of them even seem to be doing much better than they did in the Eco -Complete. I definitely wouldn't recommend putting it over your old gravel, you will probably regret it and then you will never be able to separate the two and have to start all over again. As you move stuff around and plant you will inevitably pull the old stuff to the surface. Also I think you will see it around the edges. I am a perfectionist though, and that would just drive me crazy, if you aren't as picky it might be ok for you. If you end up completely changing the substrate, I personally would set up a separate tank with your current filters, or just put them in a bucket if you can do it fast enough. I think you'd be taking a huge chance with your fishes health removing it while they are in there. You might have an Ammonia spike or pockets of deadly gas release into the tank. I have heard of this happening.