PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy beefheart?

we4wieners
01-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Can I just hit up my local grocery store?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Probably not, most likely a butcher store. But you are best getting fresh, not frozen.

we4wieners
01-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Probably not, most likely a butcher store. But you are best getting fresh, not frozen.
OK, thanks. My local grocery store has a pretty good butcher section. I may call to see. I've thumbed through the homemade food sticky and found some great recipes. My wife is gonna kick my @22. Better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, right?

DLock3d
01-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Definitely call around first. You'll probably waste a lot of time and gas if you don't. I don't know if you guys have Fiesta's up there but that's usually a sure fire place to get some.

Skip
01-16-2014, 02:47 PM
dan, means.. go to ETHNIC grocery store.. ie: where the hispanics go.. FIESTA in Texas. has BH for about $1/lb and its been cleaned and sliced.. so you are already paying for 1lb of pure muscle.. none of the 12lb bh you have to trim down :)

we4wieners
01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Have a Hispanic bodega next to my firehouse. Check in tonight.

blueluv
01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Also try Albertsons , if you have one in your area. Albertsons special orders mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewmaster15
01-16-2014, 04:16 PM
My "stop and shop" out here in CT will order it ...

Smaller markets often will sell or bring in Veal heart...which is smaller and makes a very good beef heart mix...call around and you'll find it.
-al

rdiscus
01-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Also try Albertsons , if you have one in your area. Albertsons special orders mine.

That's good to know ... I'll talk to them

Skip
01-16-2014, 04:38 PM
ask to see if they will clean it for you also!

blueluv
01-16-2014, 04:44 PM
ask to see if they will clean it for you also!

Yes, they'll also ground it up for me. I'm not sure if all Albertsons will do it. I think they clean and ground it for me , because I've bought bh from them for a couple years now.

Bill63SG
01-16-2014, 06:35 PM
+1 to a Mexican place.My place has it pre-packaged,cleaned.Worth it for time saved,and little waste that way.

treemanone2003
02-27-2014, 12:25 AM
dan, means.. go to ETHNIC grocery store.. ie: where the hispanics go.. FIESTA in Texas. has BH for about $1/lb and its been cleaned and sliced.. so you are already paying for 1lb of pure muscle.. none of the 12lb bh you have to trim down :)

I've only just begun to cruise these homemade threads here contemplating making my own food and I never thought about visiting local South American shops. I'd say without thinking, there's gotta be 6 within walking distance from my place. Other side of the city has a lot of Brazilian and Jamaican influence there.

But since I know many hunters, let me ask the question about other heart/meat such as deer, pig, water fowl, etc. Good bad or no thoughts ?

brewmaster15
02-27-2014, 08:26 AM
I've only just begun to cruise these homemade threads here contemplating making my own food and I never thought about visiting local South American shops. I'd say without thinking, there's gotta be 6 within walking distance from my place. Other side of the city has a lot of Brazilian and Jamaican influence there.

But since I know many hunters, let me ask the question about other heart/meat such as deer, pig, water fowl, etc. Good bad or no thoughts ?

George,
Deer heart is fine and some do use pig heart... Some use turkey heart as well. Here in CT, check the local Italian supermarkets...they usually sell Veal heart which is great ...if you don't see it, ask to order it and most can get it. If you drive into New Haven.. Ferraro's always has beef heart sliced and semi cleaned.

Most Stop and Shops have it or can order it.

Just be sure to clean all visible fat and de-vein it...remove all connective tissue as these are not digested well/at all.

hth,
al

treemanone2003
02-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks Al !! The gf is checking into that as I type and already has 2 local butchers that are willing to get prices for us. The volume of recipes here is amazing and I never thought it could be that easy. As for now I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a package from Daly City, Ca !! ;).

BODYDUB
02-28-2014, 12:12 PM
I wonder if we should sticky a thread on where to find beefheart.

ADMIN/MODS??????