PDA

View Full Version : one of the pair not into it

Argentum
01-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I have a red turk pair . They are in good health eating in a 20 G tank. 50% WC

One of them occasionally nips on the larger ones tummy. And I saw it today facing it snd raising its head and tilting to the side
but the larger one is not into it. How can I get them him/her the mood.

temp is 32 C pH is 6 out ot the tap no fluctuation. Hardnes is 3-6 GH

NAB
01-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Play some Barry White?

Argentum
01-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Play some Barry White?

Yeah right. :)
I wish that this can do it.
but seriously?

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2014, 10:56 AM
You could try a cooler WC or just be patience.

NAB
01-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Hehe. Sorry. I saw the opening and I went for it.

I believe some people shock them with a little cooler water. One of the pros will come in and chime in on it soon I'm sure.

Argentum
01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
You could try a cooler WC or just be patience.

I did this, but I am not sure I have done it correctly. What I did was a 25 or 50% WC with water 4 or 5 degrees F colder. And left the heater raise it gradually to the set temp.

How should it be done properly?

John_Nicholson
01-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Well the first thing is you have them way to hot. Drop the temp to about 28. At high temperatures the fertility of the male will decrease. It will take a while with proper care for him to return to normal. Remember you do not have to convince healthy animals to breed. If they are healthy and in the proper environment the most nature thing in the world is for them to reproduce.

-john

DiscusOnly
01-17-2014, 11:39 AM
How do you know it's a pair?

Argentum
01-17-2014, 11:49 AM
How do you know it's a pair?

I am not 100% sure but they act like a pair

Larry Bugg
01-17-2014, 11:59 AM
I am not 100% sure but they act like a pair

Opps, two females are very likely to act like a pair sometimes and even two males occasionally.

John_Nicholson
01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Be sure to check post #7. Even if they are a pair at that temperature the male will not be fertile or interested.

-john

Argentum
01-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Be sure to check post #7. Even if they are a pair at that temperature the male will not be fertile or interested.

-john

Thank you. I already turned the thermostat down

John_Nicholson
01-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Thank you. I already turned the thermostat down

OK. It will take a while for the males sperm count to increase. Patience is the key now.

-john

JmDiscuss
01-17-2014, 12:31 PM
I have the same issue, only my one does the head down thing, and I thought she was ripe with eggs, So your saying about 82 degs water temp is what it should be at? then add around 24% water change at lower temp, is more then 5 degs to much?

Argentum
01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I will leave them for a week now before trying the cold WC trick.
But I also need someone to clarify how is it done properly.

JmDiscuss
01-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Argentum, does one of them look like they are full of eggs?

Larry Bugg
01-17-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure anyone can tell you right or wrong. Probably a lot of variations are done. IMO a 24% change won't do much good unless you used really cold water. With this small of a change you wouldn't drop the total temp of the tank by very much and it would quickly move back to 82. I will do a 50% to 100% change using colder water. What temp. Just depends on what the temp of my storage water happens to be, lol. I've done a 100% change with 78 degree and I've done a 100% change with 72 degrees. The idea is to mimic the rainy season in the Amazon. When it rains there the water temp will drop quickly. Some people will then lower the temp on their heater to keep the temp around 78 but I don't.

JmDiscuss
01-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks Homesteader, that makes sence, i was just worried about the old saying when doing water changes about keeping the water temp close to the same temp.. also I have been thinking alot about rainy season and how it efects PH, you think the PH would go up?

John_Nicholson
01-17-2014, 01:23 PM
"old saying when doing water changes about keeping the water temp close to the same temp: Not really an old saying. it has come around and been championed by internet experts world wide.......

If your temp is anywhere in the neighborhood it will be fine.

-john

John_Nicholson
01-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Argentum, does one of them look like they are full of eggs?

Probably not going to be of mush help. I often have females lay 200 - 500 eggs and you really will not notice much of a difference in the females from before they lay till after.

-john

Argentum
01-17-2014, 01:50 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkUxs72laa0QUOTE=JmDiscuss;1059462]Argentum, does one of them look like they are full of eggs?[/QUOTE]

Nothing noticeable

here is a link to a 2 min video. Is this pair behaviour?

Argentum
01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkUxs72laa0

this is a videk of how they act. This is my first discus ever sk I cant confirm but similar to whay
t I have read.

nothinv significant on the tummy

nc0gnet0
01-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Not really what I would call classic breeding behavior, although it could very well be a male that is ready and a female that is not. As John already pointed out, your temperature is way to hot, not just for breeding, but for general care as well. There really is no need to EVER have your temperature that hot.

As for the cold water trick, if timed with an incomming cold front/storm/drop in barometric pressure, it will be 100x more effective.

-Rick

Argentum
01-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Not really what I would call classic breeding behavior, although it could very well be a male that is ready and a female that is not. As John already pointed out, your temperature is way to hot, not jsut for breeding, but for general care as well. There really is no need to EVER have your temperature that hot.

As for the cold water trick, if timed with an incomming cold front/storm/drop in barometric pressure, it will be 100x more effective.

-Rick

Thx.
And do you usually turn on the heater after a cold water change or leave it cold for a few days?

nc0gnet0
01-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Thx.
And do you usually turn on the heater after a cold water change or leave it cold for a few days?

I leave the heater alone and let it warm the tank water back up after the change.