PDA

View Full Version : I don't have a QT tank

Udeservit
01-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Well I do have a 5 gal, horribly maintained tank with a Betta in my daughters room, hence the poorly maintained, and a 30 gal Cichlid Tank with 4 fish. But Th main concern for this post is all the reading I've been doing about quarantine and I was hoping to fine a few more discus for my 75 gal. Now Im afraid to add anything else to the happy tank.
There HAS to be a way to make sure or give a preventative medication in the take home bag for any new additions?

Any OUT OF THE box methods you use? And I'm serious :)

Rudustin
01-18-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm afraid not! QT is essential in the introduction of new fish to any tank. If you introduce fish from any source without QT you will meet with disaster at some point. There is no quick solution and pre medicating is a terrible idea because medications should be used as a last resort on healthy fish and for that matter should be used only as a final resort on sick fish. If your discus are not ill at the moment in your 75 gallon tank and you are considering adding more you will definitely need a quarantine tank and leave the fish in there for almost four to six weeks because once the discus or any other fish is in quarantine you will have to add to the quarantine tank one of your fish from the 75 gallon to make sure that neither set of fish are affected. That process takes anywhere from four to six weeks. I have in the past before I knew anything about discus attempted this procedure of just plopping them into my main tank and I killed so many fish that way!!! Go to Pet Smart or Craigs list and search for at least a twenty or 30 gallon tank, make sure it is cycled and use just a sponge or HOB filter and stay smart and keep a happy tank by quarantining.

SortSay2003
01-18-2014, 09:36 PM
That's very Sound advice from Rudus. Listen to the man and save yourself headache and money. Even IF you get the fish from the same source, you still need to QT. Each batch is different.

OC Discus
01-18-2014, 10:27 PM
The 30 g cichlid tank could be converted pretty easily. Just empty everything out and give it a good cleaning. Bang!

Well I do have a 5 gal, horribly maintained tank with a Betta in my daughters room, hence the poorly maintained, and a 30 gal Cichlid Tank with 4 fish. But Th main concern for this post is all the reading I've been doing about quarantine and I was hoping to fine a few more discus for my 75 gal. Now Im afraid to add anything else to the happy tank.
There HAS to be a way to make sure or give a preventative medication in the take home bag for any new additions?

Any OUT OF THE box methods you use? And I'm serious :)

Elliots
01-19-2014, 12:58 AM
If you cannot QT your fish DO NOT TREAT THEM WITHOUT SYMPTOMS. If you are lucky nothing will happen. If you do not QT, have meds on hand to treat immediately. I suggest meds for Ich, fungus/fin rot, parasites internal and external. I would certainly include Metro among your meds. BE READY! I also suggest Kens Fish if he ships to Canada, no tax and no shipping with a minimum order. There are always things to buy there like food to get you over the minimum.

SortSay2003
01-19-2014, 01:03 AM
If you cannot QT your fish DO NOT TREAT THEM WITHOUT SYMPTOMS. If you are lucky nothing will happen. If you do not QT, have meds on hand to treat immediately. I suggest meds for Ich, fungus/fin rot, parasites internal and external. I would certainly include Metro among your meds. BE READY! I also suggest Kens Fish if he ships to Canada, no tax and no shipping with a minimum order. There are always things to buy there like food to get you over the minimum.

Yikes! All of a sudden, a QT tank sounds less expensive than all that stuff:)...lol

I agree with above; Ken's Fish is a great place to shop.

Udeservit
01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
ok

Tazalanche
01-19-2014, 03:22 PM
The cost of a 20-30 gallon tank, heater, air pump, few feet of air hose and a sponge filter is a lot less $$$ than replacing all of your fish (or medicating 75 gallons of water) because a new addition was infected when introduced.

Udeservit
01-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Could i not use the cichlid tank as is, without the cichlids of course as a QT. Why would i have to empty it all out?

And yes, a QT tank does sound a whole lot less expensive after your comments, You peeps have prob helped a discus first timer by helping out and commenting.

I feel sad to get rid of my cichlids just so i can introduce a few more discus to my tank. :( Theres no way Hubby would be ok with 4 tanks in the house, just NO WAY lol...

Bobbyrazz
01-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Could i not use the cichlid tank as is, without the cichlids of course as a QT. Why would i have to empty it all out?

And yes, a QT tank does sound a whole lot less expensive after your comments, You peeps have prob helped a discus first timer by helping out and commenting.

I feel sad to get rid of my cichlids just so i can introduce a few more discus to my tank. :( Theres no way Hubby would be ok with 4 tanks in the house, just NO WAY lol...

The way to do it is to slowly introduce the idea...until he thinks it's his idea and then all you have to do is agree with him ;) or just get another tank and set it up then it's too late for him to argue lol

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Udeservit
01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Thats somewhat what i did with the 75 gal, haha I'm still laughing about it. He went away on a business trip and when he came home there was a great big tank in the living room!!!

Just researched Kens fish and it doesn't look to me like he sells fish? I could only find supplies

Tazalanche
01-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Just researched Kens fish and it doesn't look to me like he sells fish? I could only find suppliesThat is correct. Kensfish.com was mentioned for purchasing medication, food and supplies. I'm averaging $100 in purchases per month from kensfish.com. Great prices.

Elliots
01-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Kens Fish is the name of the Company. They have great prices and no tax or shipping with a minimum purchase. I know I am repeating my previous post. No, they do not sell fish nor do they sell Kens!

OC Discus
01-19-2014, 11:54 PM
The suggestion of cleaning out the tank was to ensure no disease or parasite is in the tank before the discus are put in. As a "hospital" tank, you want to be sure it is clean. Old gravel and old filter media could harbor something harmful to your new fish.