PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS PROBLEM PLEASE!

Tormentor
01-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Not sure what this is, I have seen it in most of discus, it looks like a worms to me, but I don't know what kind though if so. Help me identify this thing coming out of them when'd they poop and the possible medication to get rid of it. Thanks
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/Pijuty/image_zpse136af0e.jpg (http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/Pijuty/media/image_zpse136af0e.jpg.html)
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/Pijuty/image_zpsbb180d97.jpg (http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/Pijuty/media/image_zpsbb180d97.jpg.html)
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/Pijuty/image_zpsce19e8ef.jpg (http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/Pijuty/media/image_zpsce19e8ef.jpg.html)
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/Pijuty/image_zpsc75e45da.jpg (http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/Pijuty/media/image_zpsc75e45da.jpg.html)

Allwin
01-19-2014, 11:12 PM
So, what are you feeding them?

Tormentor
01-19-2014, 11:21 PM
So, what are you feeding them?
Well I feed them hikari blood worms and discus food, Australian freeze dried Black worms and recently some live black worms, but I stopped feeding them the live black worms after I noticed this string looking thing coming out of them

Rudustin
01-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Hi, Go to the box upper above the words Advanced search. Type in tape worm. There is a thread from Josie of Chicago Discus. There are photos of something similar coming out of her discus and it looks like your pics. Just compare the photos on that thread to what your discus and if it looks similar go to the disease section and find out what to do about it. I'm still new enough not to make an evaluation but it looks like the same thing as Josie's pics do.

Rudustin
01-19-2014, 11:31 PM
I hope I am wrong!

Tormentor
01-19-2014, 11:41 PM
I hope I am wrong!
Thanks Rufus, I'll look it up. Btw did you go to Gabes place?

Chicago Discus
01-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Looks like diet related to me, I would start feeding more of a variety of foods. Although I have heard of people just feeding a worm diet I believe that Discus need more of a well rounded diet. Try some other kinds of foods and feed less worms. Not a tape worm though looks more like diet related to me........Josie

Tormentor
01-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Looks like diet related to me, I would start feeding more of a variety of foods. Although I have heard of people just feeding a worm diet I believe that Discus need more of a well rounded diet. Try some other kinds of foods and feed less worms. Not a tape worm though looks more like diet related to me........Josie
Yes I thought so too, since those thing coming out don't look like the tape worm tread you started a while back, what food do you suggest though. Any sponsor here selling any? Any website? Btw what did you use for tape worms to treat your juries back them?

Rudustin
01-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks Rufus, I'll look it up. Btw did you go to Gabes place?
Hooray I'm wrong!!! So glad. No haven't had time to give him a call or go over to Gabe as yet. I'm overstocked anyway. I have sub adults that are growing way to fast! LOL! I would listen to Josie. No me! Ha!

Chicago Discus
01-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Try a good small pellet or granule like Sera discus, I don't feed flake foods directing in the tank I do use it I'm my beef heart mix. try some veggies like cucumber or zucchini. It will take them time to start eating the new foods you offer but be patient they will start eating it. As far as treating for tape worms unless you have a reason to treat the discus I would stay away from medication :)......Josie

Tormentor
01-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Hooray I'm wrong!!! So glad. No haven't had time to give him a call or go over to Gabe as yet. I'm overstocked anyway. I have sub adults that are growing way to fast! LOL! I would listen to Josie. No me! Ha!
Lol yes I feel a little better, but still I'm gonna get prazi pro just in case, and wait and see what happens. Btw she mention the food do you know of any food that is good, or any website?

Tormentor
01-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Try a good small pellet or granule like Sera discus, I don't feed flake foods directing in the tank I do use it I'm my beef heart mix. try some veggies like cucumber or zucchini. It will take them time to start eating the new foods you offer but be patient they will start eating it. As far as treating for tape worms unless you have a reason to treat the discus I would stay away from medication :)......Josie
Thanks Josie, I will get some more different foods for them. Thanks

Rudustin
01-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Yes, good to be prepared. I feed mainly freeze dried black worms with spinach, spectrum pellets, Han's cobalt flakes and frozen Hikari blood worms but not much of them. I leave the frozen blood worms as a treat or when my house keeper needs to feed them when I am away. I also feed Han's meat mix which has a whole bunch of stuff including some vegetables in the mix. I vary the foods so they don't get to used to one or the other.
Lol yes I feel a little better, but still I'm gonna get prazi pro just in case, and wait and see what happens. Btw she mention the food do you know of any food that is good, or any website?

Tormentor
01-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Yes, good to be prepared. I feed mainly freeze dried black worms with spinach, spectrum pellets, Han's cobalt flakes and frozen Hikari blood worms but not much of them. I leave the frozen blood worms as a treat or when my house keeper needs to feed them when I am away. I also feed Han's meat mix which has a whole bunch of stuff including some vegetables in the mix. I vary the foods so they don't get to used to one or the other.
Rufus, where can I get this Hans mixture from?

Allwin
01-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Josie replied already, looks like semi digested blood worms(may be bit overfeeding) . Not a tape worm. Are they eating fine and reacting normal?

Rudustin
01-20-2014, 12:09 AM
You can go to Discus Hans website and order it. Just go to the sponsor page on this forum or at the top of the forum page you will see his site mentioned. He usually has it and if not he will tell you when he has a new supply. I mix it with liquid garlic and the fish love it. It does sometime if fed to often will make the water a little cloudy so you have to experiment with how much. My discus love his meat mix. They love to eat in general but the meat mix is their favorite along with the Freeze dried black worm from Al here at he forum. You can also order the cobalt flakes from Hans also. It is his own brand and his website also carries the flakes as well.

Discusdude7
01-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Rufus, where can I get this Hans mixture from?

Discus Hans.
Email him at
discus-hans@comcast.net and ask him to buy his beefheart. I believe it is 15 bucks a pound (don't quote me on that).

Discusdude7
01-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Discus Hans.
Email him at
discus-hans@comcast.net and ask him to buy his beefheart. I believe it is 15 bucks a pound (don't quote me on that).

Rufus beat me to it!

Tormentor
01-20-2014, 12:12 AM
You can go to Discus Hans website and order it. Just go to the sponsor page on this forum or at the top of the forum page you will see his site mentioned. He usually has it and if not he will tell you when he has a new supply. I mix it with liquid garlic and the fish love it. It does sometime if fed to often will make the water a little cloudy so you have to experiment with how much. My discus love his meat mix. They love to eat in general but the meat mix is their favorite along with the Freeze dried black worm from Al here at he forum. You can also order the cobalt flakes from Hans also. It is his own brand and his website also carries the flakes as well.
Thank, brother, really appreciate it.

Rudustin
01-20-2014, 12:19 AM
tormentor, you are most welcome. Anytime. I'm still learning and everyday I find out something new about keeping discus. I think over feeding could be the issue. I won't feed my adults but two times a day. My juveniles and my sub adults get fed four or five times a day but only in small amounts and I won't feed them until they have finished what I have already fed them. You know how it is, they come to the front of the tank begging for food and sometimes I just have to ignore them so I don't over feed. Hard to do! Take care. Rufus

robinsanyal
01-26-2014, 04:45 PM
happens with mine too.. its the result of the blood worm's outer shell.. try to feed them a biy of varied diet and then see if everything comes back to normal..