PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter Noise

Garofalo79
01-20-2014, 10:15 AM
About a year and half ago I bought an Aquatop Canister Filter for my 55g. When I first set it up, I could barely hear it and wasn't even sure it was on. It was on however and working great as far as filtration goes. It is still working fine, at some point though it started making humming noises. It's not very loud and I don't think it is an indication that anything is wrong. It's just not ultra-silent as it was when I first got it. My buddy's Eheim canister is still very silent even after a few years of use.

Has anyone else experienced this with Aquatop or another canister? Do I just need to give the canister and the tubes a good cleaning (bio-media in tank water)?

Thanks.

discussmith
01-20-2014, 01:14 PM
It is always a good idea to thoroughly clean a canister filter on a schedule. This however will most likely not solve your problem. Please do not take offense but these cheaper filters are not as well made when it comes to the motor windings and the mounts. As time goes on temperature has caused a small movement in the windings and a slight vibration has begun causing the hum. Hopefully it has gone as far as it can and will not get worse.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Sometimes it an easy fix, just replace the impellar and o-ring seal. But for this filter, I have read the motors just don't hold up like the Fluvals or Rena canisters.

Garofalo79
01-21-2014, 10:21 AM
No offense taken- I knew I was buying a budget filter and sometimes you get what you pay for. I'll give it a deep cleaning and see what effect it has. May explore other options if nothing improves. Thanks for the input.