PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tank Question

jeffv2pr
01-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Jeffrey. I'm a person who loves my African Cichlids but a while ago My girlfriend wanted a fish that's way more vibrant than my poor African Cichlids, lol so I decided to take the plunge into the "difficult" discus world for her and my daughter. Now I don't have any Discus in it yet, everything is pretty much up to par (i've been reading everything here, all the stickies etc...) now my only issue is lowering the GH of my tank, I can imagine how many time this has been asked, i just can not find anything. I live up here in the East Coast (New Jersey) so our water is very hard. I just wanted to ask if there is an alternative way to lower the hardness without having to purchase a R/O unit? If not I will just save up more to purchase one but for the moment I feel the tank is ready, I just need to lower my Hardness. Any input would be much appreciated. I've read about the Peat Moss, R/O unit, rain water, Peat Pillows?... I was also thinking about purchasing a Discus Buffer but would love some advice. Thank You in Advanced.

John_Nicholson
01-20-2014, 01:48 PM
As long as you are not trying to breed them there is no reason to worry about your hardness. They will be fine.

-john

DiscusLoverJeff
01-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Welcome to SD Jeff. You will find this forum has many combined years of experience here.

jeffv2pr
01-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Ok so just leave everything as is? I don't plan on breeding the discus I purchase, I just want my GF to be happy with these beautiful fish.

wild4discus
01-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Stable and consistent water conditions are most important to discus health.

Ryan
01-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi Jeffrey,

Visit this sticky thread from the Beginner section: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Scroll down to the part about pH Stability.

Domestic fish have been tank-bred for so many generations that they tolerate a wide variety of conditions. Keeping your parameters stable is the key.

jeffv2pr
01-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Thank You Very Much.... what are good sites to order discus from?

rdiscus
01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
They're all on here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors)