PDA

View Full Version : Repashy Superfood gel in BH mix

wild4discus
01-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Hi all.
I was planning on making BH/seafood mix this weekend and was wondering if anyone has used Repashy Superfood gel (premix) in their recipe? I'm avoiding using gelatin as a binder because it tends to dissolve in warm water and can clog filters. I was going to use agar agar as a binder, but I just saw this Repashy food gel on Ken's Fish. It is very nutrient dense and I thought to use this instead of agar agar to increase the nutritional value of my mix and use it as a binder so pieces of food don't float throughout my tank. Has anyone had experience using this product and does it hold together well? Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

sdrexler078
01-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Shrimp and bananas work for me they are sticky enough to bind it together and the food is gone before it has a chance to dissolve. But never used repashy brand before

wild4discus
01-20-2014, 05:04 PM
I was planning on using fresh raw shrimp in the mix, but just want to be sure the mix won't fall apart.

Cullymoto
01-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I use repashy meat pie in my mix. It's a dry powder one adds to boiling water. I didn't add near the water the recipe calls for and it works quite well as a binder.
Hope that helps.

wild4discus
01-20-2014, 05:50 PM
I use repashy meat pie in my mix. It's a dry powder one adds to boiling water. I didn't add near the water the recipe calls for and it works quite well as a binder.
Hope that helps.

Thank you. I am definitely going for it now. I am always looking for ways to give my discus a nutritional boost and varying their diet. Now I just have to decide between the meat pie, community, and breeding/conditioning formulas.

Bill63SG
01-20-2014, 05:54 PM
I was planning on using fresh raw shrimp in the mix, but just want to be sure the mix won't fall apart.

Use a 50/50 beefheart to shrimp and you will be alright.

dirtyplants
01-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Dry powder is perhaps agar agar, which you can buy from food stores. grind it up use boiling water mix with what ever, natural product, won't harm fish.

wild4discus
01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Dry powder is perhaps agar agar, which you can buy from food stores. grind it up use boiling water mix with what ever, natural product, won't harm fish.

Thanks. If the repashy gel premix doesn't work out, I'll go back to the original plan and use agar agar in the next batch.