PDA

View Full Version : Please advice - just got discus for my 100 gallon planted

mmdiscus1
01-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Hi guys,
I finally got my fish today, after reading almost a year your posts and getting knowledge on the subject.
I am very excited and nervous at the same time, want to domit right. Sorry, i started another thread here about lights off or on, that one could be closed, as i want to discus and ask my questions here.

Here are pics of new fish in this thread here in planted tank section. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=111638

Tank params:
100 gallon, MTS, 160cm x 45x 65cm, closed glasstop.
31 degrees celcius(per advice of members will decrease to 30-29 tomorrow)
Ph 7.4' kh 8 , gh 16, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate about 15ppm from tap and in tank, tds 450
Eheim 2217 canister filtration, 2x200 watt heaters.
Bubble wand 90cm on the back glass on timer- on during night, and on/off during daylight for better oxygenation
Two T5 tubes- 2x36w, timer 8 hours a day
Tank mates- 4 corys (sterbai and panda).

I have total 4 discus for now, couldnt buy more yet because here they cost 100$ a fish, i had to special order them LFS doesnt sell them, and no breeders.

As i could measure i have three of about 5" or more, and one 4". Fish arent shy and appeoach front glass and gaze in tank, nice shape and looks.

My questions:
1) i just bought them today, turned off lights today. When should i start WC and what my routne should be, i am comfortable with large WC, i siphon out with Python, and pour back direclty from tap and three stage filter carbon block.

2) i tried to feed today but they didnt eat, should i try tomorrow even if they dont eat, or i should leave them alone for a while?

3) what strain is my discus? And are they considered adults ?

4) Is my temperature ok, and what else you suggest i do to better start with them.

Thanks for your help guys, you are really treasure for newbies like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmdiscus1
01-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Posting pics here as well:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/uqaheha6.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/ry7utyme.jpg

rdiscus
01-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Why do you many threads for same thing?

mmdiscus1
01-21-2014, 11:26 PM
You dont let rename threads, my last one was unfortunately named wrong- only one question about lights and i got the answer there, so this title here is better suited. This is not related to that. Btw, could you answer my questions?

mmdiscus1
01-21-2014, 11:44 PM
I brought them in the evening, now its morning, and they are still not eating. I am giving them food they just stare at it no eating. I am worried. Please advice guys... Should i make a WC to make them happy?

mmdiscus1
01-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Some more pics from today, they swim all around the tank, getting used to it i guess..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/are5y2yb.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/a9ypa5yg.jpg

mmdiscus1
01-22-2014, 12:40 AM
How sad, no replies :(. Oh well, from what i read here, WC is never too much for discus:) so i just did about 30% WC. Hope they will start eating soon

Aeon
01-22-2014, 12:51 AM
Most fish can take up to 24 hours before they are interested in eating. And can live a week without eating without any harmful effects. Are you feeding them what they've been eating at the suppliers?

sholvey
01-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Just be patient with them and not force too much food. Because, if they are not eating, this can fowl out your water. What are you feeding them? They look pretty healthy and it will not affect them if they don't eat right away. They can go several weeks without eating. When they are hungry they will eat. Also, I don't see this in your fish due to how healthy they look. But, when discus show that they don't have an appetite, they could have an internal parasite. Again, I don't think this is the case for your fish, but it is good to know. Finally, you are correct, stay up on the water changes.

mmdiscus1
01-22-2014, 01:49 AM
Thank you guys, thats a relief. The left overs were instantly cleaned up by corys:) yes, i am feeding what supplier gave. Today hopefully she will give me her BH frozen and receipt. Should i make more WC in the evening? And is it Ok that when i do WC my temperature in tap drops two degree celcius, for corys its been ok but not sure for discus.

Aeon
01-22-2014, 02:59 AM
It should be ok for a small temp change as long as it stays within the acceptable range, though try not to let it swing bigger than that. Also I think that even though your corys are eating up all the left overs, you're still adding that much beefheart to the tank , and no matter who eats it your nitrates will increase because of it. I suggest putting just tiny amounts till you see they're willing to eat

mmdiscus1
01-22-2014, 03:56 AM
It should be ok for a small temp change as long as it stays within the acceptable range, though try not to let it swing bigger than that. Also I think that even though your corys are eating up all the left overs, you're still adding that much beefheart to the tank , and no matter who eats it your nitrates will increase because of it. I suggest putting just tiny amounts till you see they're willing to eat

Will do Aarron, thanx

mmdiscus1
01-22-2014, 04:14 AM
Good new guys, i fed them some dry food, this time they tried to eat it. They even tried to pick up pieces from the bottom, and scared off corys that tried to eat it.:) so i guess they are getting used.

mmdiscus1
01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Today i fed them bloodworms, they all ate, especially smaller ones. Turns out i had to treat bloodworms before feeding, mine came from a guy here who catches them on a lake, cleans and freezes, no chemical treatment just in tap water. Looks like i will throw i all away, hope discus dont get sick from it:(

Btw, is it ok if i only feed them BH mixes with tetra dry food? I read here about carols recipe, looks simple:) i want to try that and some other recipes here. Input??

Willow123
01-22-2014, 10:12 PM
what were the fish eating before they came to live with you?
I make my own BH mixture too, its def cheaper in the long run. mine smells like pate when i make it! mine love whatever combo i put in it too.

mmdiscus1
01-23-2014, 02:11 PM
what were the fish eating before they came to live with you?
I make my own BH mixture too, its def cheaper in the long run. mine smells like pate when i make it! mine love whatever combo i put in it too.

I asked the breeder who sold it to my supplier, he said he fed them Bh, treated bloodworms, tetra dry food.
Btw, i also learned their strain - they are from red turquoise he said, close blood ties with wilds. Breeder told me they are about one year old.

Made second WC in last two days since i got them, %50 WC. Planning to so it like this everyday, or once in two days.

I dont know how to do less WC, because everytime i try to feed them more than half passes by their noses, and ends up on the bottom or leaves, so i try to keep it clean.

How do you guys feed them? Do they eat all, half? You end up having lots of uneaten food on the bottom? I feed a smal tiny pinch of dry food, wait until they eat it(they dont very well) and then add more, from each batch i give only small amount is eaten.. Its been two days since i got them, maybe they are still adapting?

mmdiscus1
01-23-2014, 03:36 PM
One more observation- they all four, like hanging out in front of my vertical canister return spray bar, water from spray bar right into their faces. Four of them just sit there for several minutes, then make a tour in a tank and then return there again, this happens several times an hour. Is it normal?

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Morning guys, so i just fed them dry food, tetra discus and other mix. Two smaller ones of reddish hue, a little more than four inches, they eat it- first days they used to spit it out kinda, but other too of blueish hue they dont eat it, they just swim by. Discus also sometimes splash water on top, when eating sometimes when not, is it normal?

Experienced members please answer my questions:(

ericatdallas
01-24-2014, 04:05 AM
I dont know how to do less WC, because everytime i try to feed them more than half passes by their noses, and ends up on the bottom or leaves, so i try to keep it clean.

They will eat from the bottom, just give them 30 minutes or so. If they're not used to you, just walk away and you might find they'll eat then.

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 05:10 AM
Yes, they actually do eat from bottom, but not all. Bigger ones still dont eat much, those with blueshish color, smaller red ones eat whatever i give them, just got sera discus granules and they ate it. Posting some pics now.

My favorite, likes to pose:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/y4azama9.jpg

He likes to pick up some food too.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/u7a4e5e2.jpg

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 05:11 AM
Guys, could it be hard for them to pick up food, since my gravel is similar in color to dry food?
Ps: btw, my red one after five ten minutes is still digging gravel looking for leftovers, but others not.

sholvey
01-24-2014, 07:23 AM
No, gravel color will not affect the way they pick up food.

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 08:00 AM
No, gravel color will not affect the way they pick up food.

Thats a relief. Actually, i saw how they direct air towards gravel, and stuff floats into water column, and they pick up the food.

ericatdallas
01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
So, all fish are different. Just like people, I think there is some learned behavior as well. With that being said, lighting might be an issue. I've had some Discus that don't care but others are shy around bright lights but will eat a lot when there are dimmer lights. With a planted tank that might be another consideration.

My discus now will group in a corner when my wife walks up but will spread out as she walks away (even when I'm still standing there). However, half of them will eat when I stand there while the other half will only eat when I walk away.

Just making the point that "it depends" when you ask about any living creature.

Miamiheat
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
from observation you can tell a lot from your fish: you see the black vertical stress bars they have: if they are fully black all the time its not good, but its normal when you just put them in a new tank or if you scared them for some reason. As they get used to your tank they should relax and you should see the bars fading. Also if they clamp their dorsal fins something is wrong. If they swim all relaxed with full fins extended and no stress bars its a positive sign.

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Yes thats true, i noticed similar behaviours as well. My lightning doesnt seem to bother them any more, i am back on my daily nine hours regimen. Just made BH, and put it to freeze hope they like it. I made it from garlic, carrot, spinach, banana, one beef heart. Sending you picture, tok me two hours to make hope they like it:):) put to freezer, will feed them in about hor or so, will let u guys know how it went.

My first beef heart mix:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/guvadyve.jpg

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
from observation you can tell a lot from your fish: you see the black vertical stress bars they have: if they are fully black all the time its not good, but its normal when you just put them in a new tank or if you scared them for some reason. As they get used to your tank they should relax and you should see the bars fading. Also if they clamp their dorsal fins something is wrong. If they swim all relaxed with full fins extended and no stress bars its a positive sign.

Thank you! I wasj jst goin to write about that. I looked at pics when i first bought them, they had black bars, but now they have no bars:) i read it was strss bar effect. Sometimes they will have them black back, when my little one bullies them, but when i get by the tank balck bars dissapear in front of my eyes, thats amazing!!

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Ok guys, i have a bullying problem. One smaller red one is bullying all others, it started yesterday, but right niw its at a point where watching tank is stressfull., because he constantly chases others, even bigger than him/her. When he approaches other fish their stress bars get dark and he tries to nip them at their bodies or head. They only get a chance to rest when he gets tired chasing them, whats your suggestions? Buying more fish isnt an option because, they have the same species only, i would like to get different variations in the future, plus it is a hundred bucks a fish.

sholvey
01-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Not uncommon they are probably establishing pecking order. I believe you said that there is 4 discus in your tank. That is on the low side of discus numbers. There is not much to do other than adding a few more discus to try to divert the bullying IMO. The blue diamond in my avatar bullies a flachen SS I have all day. It doesn't seem to bother him, as his color is good and he eats well. I know that it is hard to watch, but maybe it will slow down once order has been established.

mmdiscus1
01-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Bullying is mich better than yesterday, i saw both red ones are pecking blueish ones, total four fish, and one red pecks other red, so while red are dominant on blue ones red also peck on blues, blues always neutral and they are the bigger ones. Nevermind, i think as you said i need to give them more time to sort things out.

Meanwhile i have another frustrating problem- none of the fish will eat beef heart i made; only the most dominant of all three will take couple bites at the bottom. Red ones eat granules, they are smaller ones; but both blue turquoise they are over 5 inch they wont eat at all, maybe only one piece of granule sometimes. The biggest fish sometimes bites valnisnerias, he already tore apart them from the middle up, i think they dont like tall vals getting stuck up their butts:)

sholvey
01-25-2014, 11:35 AM
I think you are giving too much of an option to start. I am sure it was mentioned, and if not, you need to stick with one food source. Once they eat that regularly then start to mix it up. I think you are trying too hard believe me, they will eat when they are hungry. You need to be patient. For example I got a shipment of discus yesterday and didn't feed at all. this morning I put some food in didn't eat too much. I will try again later. I will not start adding BH until the take the flake consistently. need to stay consistent off the start.

mmdiscus1
01-25-2014, 11:54 AM
I think you are giving too much of an option to start. I am sure it was mentioned, and if not, you need to stick with one food source. Once they eat that regularly then start to mix it up. I think you are trying too hard believe me, they will eat when they are hungry. You need to be patient. For example I got a shipment of discus yesterday and didn't feed at all. this morning I put some food in didn't eat too much. I will try again later. I will not start adding BH until the take the flake consistently. need to stay consistent off the start.

Ok sholvey, you are definetely more experienced than i am, so i better listen to you since no other experienced person tells me what else to do. So you suggest, correct me if i am wrong- i should keep my bh mix freezed in a fridgefor now and feed them only tetra and sera granules that i have, the ones they eat. Correct? When should i start bh? And since i have two that are 4.5 inches, they still need to grow a bit, and two that are about 5.5 inch- how many times a day i should feed? Thanks!

mmdiscus1
01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
They are still not eating well, i raised temperature to 31 degrees as breeder suggested it would help if there were any flagellates or problems with intestines, as hig temps stops growth of flgellates.. He actually said raise to 33 for a week, and if they still dont eat medicate them.. But my tetra heater can only go upto 31. Today gave them dry food in the morning, as usually two of them eats, oths dont eat.. Didnt feed thm for th rest of thday.. Tomorrow first thing will feed BH, hopefully they will be hungrier and eat it.

dirtyplants
01-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Watch their behavior, where they swim, bottom, middle , top, do they still hang out near the top by the return?
Discus will often hunt for food on the bottom, by blowing the sediment around, we have red, green, blue sensors in our retinas I am not sure if discus have a uv retina but they diffidently see objects in a different chemical range then us. They can pick out food for the most part from other things. Have you tried Al's FDBWs? Many fish go for them right off the bat.

mmdiscus1
01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Watch their behavior, where they swim, bottom, middle , top, do they still hang out near the top by the return?
Discus will often hunt for food on the bottom, by blowing the sediment around, we have red, green, blue sensors in our retinas I am not sure if discus have a uv retina but they diffidently see objects in a different chemical range then us. They can pick out food for the most part from other things. Have you tried Al's FDBWs? Many fish go for them right off the bat.

They swim everywhere, mostly top and middle, in front most of the time, they dont hide. Theynlike hanging out by return and play with bubbles from bubble band.

Yes, one of them likes hunting for food on the bottom, by blowing into sediment, right after he eats dry food from the top.

What is ais fdbw? I dont live in usa.

dirtyplants
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
At the top of the forum page you will see two banners one has a worm dancing around, click on it. Also there is another banner that says black worms are here. Click on that one also both are good suppliers perhaps one can ship to where you are located.
I am concerned that they are in the bubble stream. Most discus avoid the return flow. Watch their breathing carefully and watch for any change in behavior or color.

mmdiscus1
01-28-2014, 07:14 AM
At the top of the forum page you will see two banners one has a worm dancing around, click on it. Also there is another banner that says black worms are here. Click on that one also both are good suppliers perhaps one can ship to where you are located.
I am concerned that they are in the bubble stream. Most discus avoid the return flow. Watch their breathing carefully and watch for any change in behavior or color.

I dont live in the states.

They are not in bubble stream, they sometimes hang out near return and there is also bubble stream from the bottom. But this while thing lasts about ten fifteen seconds, and they move on. Color is ok, breathing looks ok too. Do they have one pair of nosedrills like we human do? Or they have more holes? Looks like mine have 6 tiny holes there, in pairs.

mmdiscus1
02-01-2014, 04:13 AM
Same issue guys, they never eat. Only one eats well, flakes from top bottom, he even started eating my beef heart mix. But others three dont eat at all, i never see. What shall i do. They are all active and swimming.

MKD
02-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Give them some more time, once one starts eating bh the other will follow. Make sure to be consistent or cut back the amount feeding before bh.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

mmdiscus1
02-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Give them some more time, once one starts eating bh the other will follow. Make sure to be consistent or cut back the amount feeding before bh.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

Thats what i am planning to do. Fed this morning, nothing more. Will skip tomorrow. The day after tomorrow morning will feed bh. Its been 11 days, and they are still not eating, i am worried.

mmdiscus1
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Ok, so one eats my bh mix:) thats good news. The other only dry food.. Other two eat nothing. Its been ten days since i have them, i do 50% WC every other day.. What shall i do? Treat them? Water params ok, amonia/nitrite 0, nitrate about 30ppm, temp 30celcius. Plants are doing ok, but there are nematodes, i see them every now and then, white half inch hair thin, swim in a snake manner, hope they are not harmful to fish, i read they are not.

sholvey
02-03-2014, 01:48 PM
The nematodes are not harmful, but it shows your water quality isn't where it needs to be. You should keep the nitrates down to 5-10ppm. This is done with more water changes. You also have plants that take care of the nitrate levels. I imagine the nitrate levels would be a lot higher if there wasn't any plants. I feel you need to change out 50%+ daily.

mmdiscus1
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
The nematodes are not harmful, but it shows your water quality isn't where it needs to be. You should keep the nitrates down to 5-10ppm. This is done with more water changes. You also have plants that take care of the nitrate levels. I imagine the nitrate levels would be a lot higher if there wasn't any plants. I feel you need to change out 50%+ daily.

Sholvey, right out of tap is above 20ppm, api liquid test hard to read, more like 30-40ppm. The more i do WC the more nitrates get in, but u still do WC everyother day. Plants are striving, corys are very active and eat well, its only discus that dont eat. If water quality would be poor, i imagine corys would feel it too, they were there before discus. Water has no bad smell or anything, i dont overfeed, where do they get from,,, and wach time i WC i make sure i siphon gravel really good, and in between plants (although its nit good for plants, but discus is my priority now, plants will adjust).

Is there a for sure way to get rid of nematodes? Its not a nice scene when i see one or two near water surface, i see them swimming on top sometimes, not on wall or at the bottom..

mmdiscus1
02-03-2014, 03:54 PM
I also have no idea how to make those two to eat, they never ate since i got then tend ays ago.

dirtyplants
02-03-2014, 04:08 PM
IF your nitrates are as high as you say from tap 20ppm here in the states that is not acceptable, you need to check if that is an acceptable level where you live. Even from the tap at 20ppm that is lower then your tank. Worms swimming around indicate poor water quality, clean substrate, change water and clean out all filter systems. I think if you get those nitrates down your fish may start eating again.

mmdiscus1
02-03-2014, 04:22 PM
I am not in states, and here it is acceptable:)
I might put numbers wrong, tank isnt higher than my tap, its the same or lower... Its hard to read api charts,, the reason its not much lower than tap, is because of the frequent WC i do for discus, and plants dont have time to make their magic. Canister was cleaned a few days ago, i do clean it once a month or once in two months the most.

I will have purigen from USA delivered ti me in a month, hope that helps with nitrates, untill then idk what to do.

dirtyplants
02-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Did you place in a QT tank?
Where are you from?

mmdiscus1
02-04-2014, 02:18 AM
Did you place in a QT tank?
Where are you from?

Discus are in main display tank, i am from central asia.

mmdiscus1
02-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Two other discus still dont eat, i see they sometimes look at food, but dont eatit.. Do you think its time to try metro on them? In case of internal flagellites or something?

mmdiscus1
02-18-2014, 05:10 AM
Good news guys! Third one started tasting food:) he/she gets it into mouth and spits, kinda lieke when new discus is getting used to food. This one never ate before. Si now i have three discus who eats, one still doesnt- the largest. Its been over a month btw. Thanks to everyone who helped me with advices

musicmarn1
02-19-2014, 11:49 AM
sucks going through the stress of new fish ! but so happy you have 3 eating finally :)

mmdiscus1
02-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Today, first day of my treatment, with the recomendstions of the breeder from whom i got, i decided to treat three fish that doesnt eat, placed thme in a seperate 75liter tank, wc daily there 30%, water temp raised to 31.5degree celcius. Will be treatng for a week for flagillates and such. This is my treatment info:
Feb 21 - 750mg metro, 200mg furazolidon. (Per 75liters)
Feb 22- 30% wc, dose only metro
Feb23- 30% wc, metro and furozalidon
... For a week, i will feed small portions in between... If by the end of the week no improvement, i will treat same way another week.

mmdiscus1
03-24-2014, 10:34 AM
One week of metro didnt help.. I have furan2 and prazipro on hand, maybe i should use those? Any advice on how?