PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia and Nitrate remover

jsong
01-22-2014, 12:04 AM
I have been provided the following bag of "nitra-zorb" made by API. It was advised that I replace my bags of carbon with this Nitra-Zorb as Discu's really do not lim carbon in the filtration system. Maybe that was what was stressing out the Discus's?

Can someone please advise on if I did the right thing by taking out the carbon? The water is also very crystal clear with Carbon vs. the new Nitra-Zorb.

One additional item I have is from Boyd Enterprises called "Chemi-Pure" This is another substitute for carbon bag within the 3 stage filter I am using. For the record, I am using marine land's C220 which is a 3 stage filter and I have a 36 gallon aquarium with 5 X 3 - 4.5inch disci's

Thank you.

SortSay2003
01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi,

I've read on here, and have heard and read elsewhere, that carbon might be linked to hole in the head (HITH) disease when it comes to discus.
The other thing I've noticed is that your tank will not be able to provide enough space when they grow bigger. General rule of thumb is 1-1.5gal per inch. Adult discus should get 10gal per fish, at least. Basically; space+food+water change= GROWTH. hth

Good luck and enjoy your experience:)

BODYDUB
01-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Many many discus keepers only use carbon to remove meds from thier tanks. I personally have not used carbon in my filter for the past 3yrs. You'll be fine. Also I woudn't add the nitra-zorb. It may remove unwanted chemicals from your water, but its a waste of money IMO as long as you keep your w/c's in check. One last thing, I'd get ready to move those fish to a 55G soon if you are trying to grow them out............

Hi,

I've read on here, and have heard and read elsewhere, that carbon might be linked to hole in the head (HITH) disease when it comes to discus.
The other thing I've noticed is that your tank will not be able to provide enough space when they grow bigger. General rule of thumb is 1-1.5gal per inch. Adult discus should get 10gal per fish, at least. Basically; space+food+water change= GROWTH. hth

Good luck and enjoy your experience:)

It's a theory about HITH and carbon, but I don't think there is any concrete evidence.

LFCYNWA
01-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Zeolite will get rid of the nitrates and ammonia very quickly. Seachem sell it, Matrix it's called.

CShanks
01-26-2014, 10:43 AM
The plants on the right do a great job removing amonnia. They are Hygrophila polysperma
and cabomba caroliniana.

AS76
02-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Zeolite will get rid of the nitrates and ammonia very quickly. Seachem sell it, Matrix it's called.

+1 for that. It works almost overnight and keeps working for ages. get a bag from the pool shop (its used as sand replacement in sand filters) you can regenerate it by soaking it in liquid chlorine every 6 months.

John_Nicholson
02-18-2014, 09:46 AM
What needs to happen is water changes............

-john

CobaltBerry
02-18-2014, 11:30 AM
... Maybe that was what was stressing out the Discus's? ...

If you're worried about stressing the Discus, having that many in a 36 gallon tank with 11 tetra and an angel fish (that I can see) isn't helping at all.

LFCYNWA
02-22-2014, 08:42 PM
+1 for that. It works almost overnight and keeps working for ages. get a bag from the pool shop (its used as sand replacement in sand filters) you can regenerate it by soaking it in liquid chlorine every 6 months.
YOUR VERY WELCOME!

astrochick00
02-22-2014, 10:02 PM
What needs to happen is water changes............

-john

I opened this thread to count how many posts it took for someone to say "water changes." Made me smile, John, thanks!!

BODYDUB
02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
I opened this thread to count how many posts it took for someone to say "water changes." Made me smile, John, thanks!!
Cough cough, post #3.................

Many many discus keepers only use carbon to remove meds from thier tanks. I personally have not used carbon in my filter for the past 3yrs. You'll be fine. Also I woudn't add the nitra-zorb. It may remove unwanted chemicals from your water, but its a waste of money IMO as long as you keep your w/c's in check. One last thing, I'd get ready to move those fish to a 55G soon if you are trying to grow them out............

It's a theory about HITH and carbon, but I don't think there is any concrete evidence.

astrochick00
02-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Cough cough, post #3.................
Duly noted. Please exchange the name "John" in my earlier post for "John."
Credit where credit is due. My mistake :)

BODYDUB
02-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Duly noted. Please exchange the name "John" in my earlier post for "John."
Credit where credit is due. My mistake :)
Lol...........