PDA

View Full Version : My first Wild Discus

kkdiscus
01-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Hi,

I am from Malaysia. Glad to be able to join the discus community here!

Got hook to Discus recently, and bought quite a mix of different strains for my 4 feet tank. Was amazed by the Wild Discus I saw here, and found one in the aquarium shop few days ago. It was a consigned sales by the owner (I met the owner on the day he brought the fish to the aquarium shop, and according to him the fish is around 2 years old), with a mix of other fish but just ONE discus. He bought the fish from Singapore two years back, 3 died and left just one.

Today I went to check the fish (can't get it off my mind), and yes it is still there. Just one piece, and I saw it got bullied by the RED PARROT inside the tank.

It is quite beat up, and I decided to bring it home. Paid around USD40 for it, size is around 4". Hope it will get well soon!

http://shashinki.com/fish/KKK_6175.JPG

(Wild discus is not popular in Malaysia...quite hard to get...)

rdiscus
01-22-2014, 02:51 AM
Oh my they keep blood parrot with discus?
Glad you save the discus...

kkdiscus
01-22-2014, 05:20 AM
May I know what strain is that?

timmy82
01-22-2014, 06:30 AM
KKKOH Pat will know for sure or Snook21 they the wild discus experts. Glad you saved it lots of clean water and she should come good.

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Poor thing and quite a decent looking discus. I do not really have enough experience with all the basic wild types to even try and guess. I can provide a link to a collection of wild types which may narrow down its collection point. For now I would try to restore its health. If it is eating that is a step in the right direction.
Pat

kkdiscus
01-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Oh my they keep blood parrot with discus?
Glad you save the discus...

The blood parrot is about the same size as the discus, but is more fierce and was chasing the Discus while I was there. There are many other big fish in the tank, and I think the discus is the smallest among them.

Am glad that I brought it home. :)

kkdiscus
01-22-2014, 07:41 AM
KKKOH Pat will know for sure or Snook21 they the wild discus experts. Glad you saved it lots of clean water and she should come good.

Just changed 30% of my water, hope the wild will get more active and less scared soon. (the fins still closed down) :)

kkdiscus
01-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Poor thing and quite a decent looking discus. I do not really have enough experience with all the basic wild types to even try and guess. I can provide a link to a collection of wild types which may narrow down its collection point. For now I would try to restore its health. If it is eating that is a step in the right direction.
Pat

Thanks Pat.

I use Tetrabits only, hope it will fit her appetite...

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks Pat.

I use Tetrabits only, hope it will fit her appetite...

I would suggest a more varied diet for discus; wild or domestic. Perhaps you can find out more about it from the place you bought it from. Especially what and if it was eating.

kkdiscus
01-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I would suggest a more varied diet for discus; wild or domestic. Perhaps you can find out more about it from the place you bought it from. Especially what and if it was eating.

I am worried about feeding live worms to the fish...as it might carry parasites. I will try search for some dry / dead red worms. :)

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Is the fish eating?

OC Discus
01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Good buy at $40. Nice shape and color

GeauxDiscus
01-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Good buy at $40. Nice shape and color

+1

Is that a tefe?

Pardal
01-22-2014, 11:41 PM
+1

Is that a tefe?

No is not a tefe, or what is traditionally consider tefe which is a variant of the green Discus with red spots and a wash out appearance on the side sometimes a tefe can be also consider royal and will have more green striations beautiful . I am not an expert either , but in my opinion it looks like a nice brown. Just have to consider that wild fish got their name for their phenotype and/or from their collection site.
with that being said Who knows were it was collected it could be even a brown that was collected near tefe.

Pardal
01-22-2014, 11:48 PM
You can check in the Internet for all the wild discus types and history alike . or Check books like The Atlas of Discus of the World by Dr. Herbert Axelrod , Dr. Warren E Burgess, and Bernd Degen , some newer sources like the German Magazine Aqualog and many many others sources.

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Go half way down the page on this link http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gallerie/Cichliden/INDEX.HTM for pictures of many wild discus.

kkdiscus
01-23-2014, 02:04 AM
Is the fish eating?

Yes, little bit of the Tetrabits.

Yesterday was more active, today seems to be very shy and hide behind the other bigger discus now.

kkdiscus
01-23-2014, 02:05 AM
Go half way down the page on this link http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gallerie/Cichliden/INDEX.HTM for pictures of many wild discus.

Thanks for the link!

However, I still can't be sure the strain of mine. I can see at least 5 different wilds in that link that seems similar to mine...which makes it very confusing... :p

Ryan
01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
There are only a few types of discus. The "strains" listed are by collection point, usually a lake or river. I wouldn't get too caught up in knowing the exact location.

GeauxDiscus
01-23-2014, 11:42 PM
No is not a tefe, or what is traditionally consider tefe which is a variant of the green Discus with red spots and a wash out appearance on the side sometimes a tefe can be also consider royal and will have more green striations beautiful . I am not an expert either , but in my opinion it looks like a nice brown. Just have to consider that wild fish got their name for their phenotype and/or from their collection site.
with that being said Who knows were it was collected it could be even a brown that was collected near tefe.

Interesting. Thanks.

plecocicho
01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Bronze body colour, bluegreen anal and only few blue green striation with barelly seen red dots are typical of green discus (Symphysodon aequafasciatus). This is not an alpha animal, but a typical green, which lacks red dots on his body and hence the typical bluegreen shine that those with many red dots have. Just look at the Pats greens for comparison.This explains also low price for otherwise beautifull animal, more dots more money.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
It seems rather red for a wild green Ferdo, but that could be the cause of red enhancing foods.

kkdiscus
01-24-2014, 11:53 AM
The eyes seems to be very big as compared to my other discus strains. Is this normal for wild or is it stunt?

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2014, 11:56 AM
This is normal for wilds.

plecocicho
01-24-2014, 06:06 PM
It must be the light and/or diet. But yu can also see three spots on a body, first after the third bar.

kkdiscus
01-24-2014, 08:40 PM
This is normal for wilds.

Thanks Pat!

I bought some frozen red worm yesterday, she took a bit pieces. Hope she will take more soon...

wild-blue-discus
03-07-2014, 07:16 AM
dam that is a fantastic looking discus....$40.00??? i'm in the wrong country $3-400 here

dirtyplants
03-07-2014, 01:46 PM
If Tefe I would like to see bottom fin(Anal) blue/green with red dots and the ventral fins red or blue. My guess would be, Symphysodon aequifasciatus "Jatapu Red Ica Type"

amonta1995
03-10-2014, 10:17 PM
If it isnt eating frozen or freeze dried food try live worms or shrimp until it gets used to eating in the tank and make sure to clean the worms first!

kkdiscus
03-10-2014, 10:31 PM
If it isnt eating frozen or freeze dried food try live worms or shrimp until it gets used to eating in the tank and make sure to clean the worms first!

Sadly, I have lost the fish... :(

dirtyplants
03-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Oh no, what happened? Did it seem ill?

aquadon2222
03-11-2014, 12:38 AM
I just got my first batch of wilds - 3 awesome 6" Alenquers straight from Amazonia! The biggest one has tattered fins and tail that I assume were caused by being such big fish in a small bag, but I'd like to know if his fins and tail will heal? He's a majestic fish and although he could be the Alpha fish in the tank, is a big sweetheart who eats with the rest of the gang. Will his fins heal?

kkdiscus
03-11-2014, 02:50 AM
Oh no, what happened? Did it seem ill?

My own fault. Chlorine poison from tap water... :(

Second Hand Pat
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
I just got my first batch of wilds - 3 awesome 6" Alenquers straight from Amazonia! The biggest one has tattered fins and tail that I assume were caused by being such big fish in a small bag, but I'd like to know if his fins and tail will heal? He's a majestic fish and although he could be the Alpha fish in the tank, is a big sweetheart who eats with the rest of the gang. Will his fins heal?

aquadon2222, it is best to start your own thread regarding your issue vs hijacking this thread...just a polite reminder on forum etiquette.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
03-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your fish KK :(
Pat

BODYDUB
03-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Sorry for your loss..........

Nick Klimkowski
03-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Sorry to here you lost him kk. But that is part of the hobby you learn from your mistake.

aquadon2222
03-12-2014, 09:10 PM
aquadon2222, it is best to start your own thread regarding your issue vs hijacking this thread...just a polite reminder on forum etiquette.
Pat

Ok, sorry.