PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating- now starting to look a bit thin

Willow123
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
hi people,
I have a big blue turq that i presumed got worms as he had stringy poo so i treated him in his own tank with kusuri wormer plus. two doses. his colours came back to normal and his poo was normal so after a week of normal poo and getting fatter i put him back in the main tank with his friends. He dominates everyone and is usually the king of the tank. Now even after 4 days he still isnt eating in his new . He lingers alot at the back but still chases the others around every now and then.
He seems to be mega scared of me now too as always hides when i come close to the tank instead of begging for food like the rest.
when food is put in he chases the other fish away from it but doesnt eat any himself. grrrrrrr
what do you think i should do?
I lost his girlfriend 2.5 months ago due to a bacterial infection at a guess (she went black) after i put them both back into the main tank to give them a break from breeding . i tried PP, furan 2, salt dips, etc but she eventually karked it. He hasnt been the same boisterous fish since she left. i treated him at the same time as her as they were in the same tank and were much happier together. He was fine throughout the treatments other than some stringy poo and still ate and protected his love from me and anyone else.

any tips people- what should i do?

I have at hand PP (only used that a couple of times and find it a little scary to use just incase i kill them)
i have 10 x 20ml of stomorgyl from the vets, havent used it yet (it has metro in it)
levamisole in liquid form

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

fish treated for worms was hiding at the back every now and again, once had stringy poo 4 weeks ago,now good. Not eating since been put back in the tank and hides quite a bit.Not being bullied as he is the bully himself

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
bars are showing maybe a little more since having to fight back his rank, eyes seem clear. maybe a little Darker

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
kusuri wormer plus for two doses (8 days), salt in tank the whole time.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
500 litre tank 7 discus in total,
5" for 6 of them about 10 months old, one is about 4" the big guy is about 6"
9 tetras and 6 corys

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
%50 3 times a week. sometimes more if i have the time

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
a year, silica sand on the bottom, maybe 1.5cm, drift wood, few plants

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
i age half of it and treat the tapwater before going in. no ph swing, same for both

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____30

- ph ___6__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __maybe a smidge into the 0.25__ due for a water change today

- nitrate reading ____0.5 due for a water change today

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _yep___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
nope,

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Willow123
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag61/leahloveslollypops/P1050165_zpsd8285672.jpg (http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leahloveslollypops/media/P1050165_zpsd8285672.jpg.html)

mmmm this is him, i wonder if this has worked?

dennin7418
01-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Do you have a current picture of this fish? The one shown is gorgeous...I'm assuming he/she may be looking a bit different now given the problems?

Willow123
01-23-2014, 03:57 PM
hello, i have been trying to get a shot but every time i go near the tank he hides round the back of a piece of drift wood. Will try to see if i can sneak up on him tonight. he doesnt look much different, just thinner and showing bars

Allwin
01-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Why salt? Since u have already done one treatment. Just give them clean clean water and leave them alone, my few cents.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
kusuri wormer plus for two doses (8 days), salt in tank the whole time.

Willow123
01-23-2014, 10:32 PM
i was told to put salt in to help the stress when they were being treated. or was it a complete waste of time?
I might be wrong.

He seems to be parading the tank alot more this morning his bars are more noticable and I managed to get a shot or two. The pics are terrible sorry. Taking pictures of tanks in the day is not my strong point. I noticed he was losing a bit of slime this morning too.just a wisp of slime that fell off when he moved.
I will do another big water change tonight to see if i can get the water as clean as possible.
His friends seem to get in the way on some of them sorry.
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag61/leahloveslollypops/S1420018_zps91f69ec1.jpg (http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leahloveslollypops/media/S1420018_zps91f69ec1.jpg.html)
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag61/leahloveslollypops/S1420017_zpsa99d8294.jpg (http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leahloveslollypops/media/S1420017_zpsa99d8294.jpg.html)
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag61/leahloveslollypops/S1420019_zpsde2c63ea.jpg (http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leahloveslollypops/media/S1420019_zpsde2c63ea.jpg.html)

Allwin
01-23-2014, 11:03 PM
I mostly use epsom salt(Magnesium Sulphate) while treating bloated discus or while treating wounds with aquarium salt(Nacl i guess) but not in regular use. Personally, since u already treated i would just use clean water without any salt and just leave them alone. Since it doesn't looks darker either the body/eyes. It should automatically recover in few weeks or sooner imo.

Allwin
01-23-2014, 11:10 PM
And also just make sure ur water chemistry is fine, clean water is always the key. Another thing u can do is by trying live bloodworms, if ur doing QT in a separate tank. But, i wouldn't try for now.

Willow123
01-24-2014, 04:38 AM
yes after todays water change he seems to have perked up. so fingers crossed he will stay that way. thanks for the tips. We cant get live bloodworms here in New Zealand which is a shame. We can get frozen though. We cant get blackworms either. We can get white worms though! so your discus are really lucky to get given such treats in other countries :)

Allwin
01-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Hope to see things getting better. Regarding live food, personally i prefer protein rich dry food/BH to be safe. Heard live blood worms can carry pathogens lots of time, so it depends. Some members in SD grew their own live food, that's pretty safe to use.

Willow123
01-26-2014, 01:40 AM
yes i make my own BH mixture, the discus LOVE IT. Today he is secreting more slime and is a def bit darker. jeez i hope he holds on!
would a PP bath not help?

Allwin
01-26-2014, 03:01 AM
Darker and more slime doesn't sounds right.Adding some current pictures can be helpful to get more attention.

Kal-El
01-26-2014, 10:06 AM
yes i make my own BH mixture, the discus LOVE IT. Today he is secreting more slime and is a def bit darker. jeez i hope he holds on!
would a PP bath not help?

Is their whit patch on him? usually losing a lot of slim could mean he/she has an external bacteria skin infection. Keep temp at 82 degree, high temp will only help bad bactera explode. Keep up with large daily WC and wipe down the inside of your tank. If he continues to lose a lot of slime and is dark my guess is what I mention.

Here's what I found online. See if your fish symptom is as mention.

Discus infected with bacterial skin infections show a wide range of symptoms and not all symptoms present themselves every time. The most common sign is a milky white coating appears on the skin of the discus and is often patchy. Discus suffering from bacterial skin infections will usually show at least a little interest in eating, though often they do not actually swallow any food. Discus with external bacterial infections will usually have an increased respiration rates and they will usually clump together in the corners of the tank. They often get darker, depending on the color strain of discus, and will often clamp their fins.]