PDA

View Full Version : ...The Winners of The 2012 Challenger Contest are....

brewmaster15
01-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi all,
Well its time to put this to rest now....and award the prizes to the most deserving Challenger. I have to say it was a tough call.A little History on why I was the one to decide. Quite literally, there was no other fair option. We had initially intended for contestants to have their fish judged by well known and respected Discus Judges, but at the contest end, we simply lacked the photos and consistency to do that. This plus the need to consider participation and other factors again made it necessary for us to be "flexible". I offered a solution where if all the contestants agreed to have me decide...I would look at all the factors and do so as fairly as possible. This was with the stipulation that my decision was final and there would be no complaints after the fact.

All agreed that I would judge and award the cash prizes. We could not agree that the forum would award one of the cash prizes so instead , so I then added the additional prize group for the Hobbyists to make their Peoples Choice Award. (Prizes donated by Barb of Delightful Designs Discus Cones, Aquaticsuppliers.com and SimplyDiscus.com)

That brings us to this moment in Time. In order for me to do this judging fairly I have literally read every thread and post by the contestants and taken many notes. I have review their participation and updates. Made note of their discussions and information that they shared. I have looked at the end product of what they produced. It was not an easy task. All of these contestants made a very strong commitment to the forum and carried these fish for a long time... They gave this membership the ability to travel with them on a Journey that most will never take. On behalf of the Forum I thank them all.

First Some Honorable Mentions here...

Josh, This was this contestants first time raising Discus like this, and he learned alot along way. He openly shared that with everyone. If I had a prize for "Most Improved" Hobbyist , I would award it to you!

Josie, If I had an award for "Discus Videographer of the Year" I would award it to you. Your videos were always well done, completely creative and with music! Always Entertaining. Your use of video as a secondary source of sharing is second to none.

Ryan, Your Photos blew us away. You have a nack for tacking amazing photos! No one in this contest came close to the degree that you shared the most minut details of your fish thru pictures. If I could award you a prize for that alone I would. I also commend you on entering and raising 2 batches of great fish in this contest.

And so we are left with the contest winners...

I am honored to Award Tony, aka MKD , the second place award... to be known as the AWESOME JOB AWARD.. Cash Prize $277.00
for his Albino Spotted Turq pairs Fry..
Commendations on your Fish Tony and on the way you documented your journey with information. Congratulations!!! This award was made possible by Hobbyists on SimplyDiscus and their donations.

and finally

The Grand Prize goes to Rick, aka nc0gnet0 for his "Batch 3", for your Snakeskin. Truthfully, Rick, you demonstrated immense dedication to the contest by entering and raising so many groups....but whats amazing is that you did them all so well. You also shared information and discussed topics relevent to the group of fish. Your participation was excellent and the Fish speak for themselves. Additionally you demonstrated beautifully the potential of Discus Genetics. Congratulations and Thank YOU!

I award you the Grand Prize "NADA" Award of $500.00 . This award was was made possible by the Generosity of the North American Discus Association.

Additionally Congratulations on winning the Peoples Choice as well with one of your other entries!

It was a long Road... and all of the contestants did an awesome Job. The contest had its challenges for all, but the end product was a truly amazing contest where some very good information was shared and Beautiful Discus were raised.

Congratulations to all the contestants!!

SimplyDiscus Staff....

Palmetto deuce
01-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Just want to say thanks from a newbie to all the particpants , board administrators, and prize donors. I am one who has benefited in so many ways from this huge effort. job well done to all.

Skip
01-23-2014, 10:51 AM
CONGRATS!!

Ya'll are all WINNERS TO ME!!!

http://s2.thejournal.ie/media/2013/08/applause_thumb2.gif

Second Hand Pat
01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Congrats to Rick and Tony for a job well done and all the contestants are winners. A year plus of hard work and dedication showed itself in quality of the fish. A job well done by all.

nc0gnet0
01-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks Al, and to all those that followed all of us contestants over the course of our long journey. I would like to take the contest money so generously donated by NADA and pay it forward, donating it back to NADA earmarked towards encouraging more people to get actively involved in breeding discus. To this end I would like to see the money used to sponsor the "Best Homebred" category at the show.

Thanks again everyone
Rick

John_Nicholson
01-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks Al and Congrats and a big thank you to Rick.

-john

brewmaster15
01-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Rick,
Thats a great idea.. and I have just dropped Jim Hall a pm and cc'd you a pm on it to make it happen. Awesome for you to further the hobby like that.

al

MKD
01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Amazing I win I win and Congrats Rick!!!! What a great way to start the day. Thank you for opportunity and I have learned a lot from this contest. I hope, it will give some people an idea how to maintain and how long to raise a batch of fry. It's fun ride and encourage everyone to join the next contest.

Thank you SimplyDiscus, Al, Pat, Lens and everyone else coordinate it,

Tony

qiyanfeng
01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Rick, you are the man! Great job!

Allwin
01-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Definitely, you are all winners to me and very well mentioned by Al. Its not a easy job to grow out juvis to adulthood, needs commitment/planning/dedication all the time.

Congrats Rick/Tony for the special awards and we all learning from you guys :)

chaoslite
01-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Congratulations Rick and Tony!!

Mishka

a volar
01-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Congratulations Rick and Tony, that's a result of passion for this hobby, well deserved prize for both of you!

NAB
01-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Congrats!!!

This hobby, and this forum especially, is filled with great people who freely share their experiences and offer words of wisdom to new people like me.
Seeing how passionate and generous people are here, makes me happy to be part of this site.

I loved seeing the grow out threads and one day hope my passion will lead to the successes you all enjoy now. Cheers.

Sandy Clay
01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Congrats to the winners!

Chicago Discus
01-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Congratulations to Tony and Rick your Discus were amazing and job well done. :):).....Josie

BODYDUB
01-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Congrats to Rick and Tony!!!!!!

dkeef
01-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Congrats tony. Those are beautiful.
Also to rick.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Congratulations Rick & Tony. Some beautiful discus for sure. Hope to see more strains in the future.

Nick Klimkowski
01-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Congrats Tony and Rick you both have done a great job! It was great to see such amazing discus reach there full potential at the hands of true experts. :D

joshvito
01-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Congrats all.

Altum Nut
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
:thumbsup:Congrats to all the members’ entries of the 2012 Challenger Contest but special honors go to the winners Rick and Tony for superb detailed documentation. Wonderful end result Discus both of you should be proud to stamp your names on. It's unfortunate that so many pulled out prior to the end of challenge.

...Ralph

yim11
01-23-2014, 08:57 PM
First I want to say CONGRATS! to everyone that participated in this contest. This contest did exactly what I feel it was intended to do - show the time, dedication, resources, and knowledge needed to not just spawn a pair of discus but raise that spawn out to adults. I think we all benefited greatly in being able to see what worked, what didn't work, and what it takes to raise a group of discus out. As has been mentioned - there are no losers here, every single participant from day 1 are winners in my book.

That being said - I want to extend a personal note of Congratulations to Rick, Tony, Josie, Ryan and Josh. Rick and Tony your win is well deserved! You have helped us all learn and that's the biggest win in my book.

I also want to Thank Al, Pat and the Simply team that gives us these great contests! I know for a fact how much time and dedication is needed to organize and execute this type of event and these great folks deserve a very special round of applause from all of us for the time and effort they put into making this happen.

Rick - on behalf of NADA I want to Thank You Very Much for your very generous donation! You are now the sponsor of the Bred By Exhibitor Show category and I am making arrangements for the rest of your donation to help support Simply in whatever manner Al and NADA deem best. It's because of generous, dedicated folks like yourself that organizations like NADA and Simply are able to grow.

Thank you all very much,
-jim

dirtyplants
01-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Good going guys.

MostlyDiscus
01-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Well done. Very nice discus.

the20tonknuckler
01-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Congrats to all. Loved following this contest. Some beautiful fish!

nwehrman
01-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Congrats to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan1
01-24-2014, 03:50 AM
Congrats to Tony, Rick and all the contestants. I know how much work and time you folks put in. I admire your patient and dedication. Again, congrats to all participants.

brewmaster15
01-24-2014, 09:16 AM
First I want to say CONGRATS! to everyone that participated in this contest. This contest did exactly what I feel it was intended to do - show the time, dedication, resources, and knowledge needed to not just spawn a pair of discus but raise that spawn out to adults. I think we all benefited greatly in being able to see what worked, what didn't work, and what it takes to raise a group of discus out. As has been mentioned - there are no losers here, every single participant from day 1 are winners in my book.

That being said - I want to extend a personal note of Congratulations to Rick, Tony, Josie, Ryan and Josh. Rick and Tony your win is well deserved! You have helped us all learn and that's the biggest win in my book.

I also want to Thank Al, Pat and the Simply team that gives us these great contests! I know for a fact how much time and dedication is needed to organize and execute this type of event and these great folks deserve a very special round of applause from all of us for the time and effort they put into making this happen.

Rick - on behalf of NADA I want to Thank You Very Much for your very generous donation! You are now the sponsor of the Bred By Exhibitor Show category and I am making arrangements for the rest of your donation to help support Simply in whatever manner Al and NADA deem best. It's because of generous, dedicated folks like yourself that organizations like NADA and Simply are able to grow.

Thank you all very much,
-jim

Jim, Thank you for your post here and the support of NADA. Its very much appreciated!:)

-al

coty
01-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Congrats
Rick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

brewmaster15
01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi all,
I also wanted to send a big thank you out to Tony , our second place winner as well. He opted to put his winnings back into SimplyDiscus in several ways. Thanks for your Generous Support Tony! Its much appreciated!!

Thank you,
Al

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Wow, mighty generous of both Rick and Tony...way to go guys. :D
Pat

Udeservit
01-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Congrats!!! and Thank-you...

Pardal
01-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Ditto.

MSD
01-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Great feel good story for all!

Disgirl
01-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Congratulations Rick and Tony!! I have been gone for 10 days on vacation, just got home and found out who won. I see that Rick is the big winner here, with two wins. And Tony is second place. I am going to send both men some pottery as awards from Delightful Designs Discus Cones. The awards won't be cones, but other clay stuff. I will send pms to each man for their addresses and will mail the boxes later this week. Congratulations to all the other contestants who raised some awesome discus too!!
Barb