PDA

View Full Version : Stress Bars? Really mean anything?

dennin7418
01-23-2014, 10:55 AM
So I'm learning more about discus every day but something I'm hearing more about is stress bars. I feel like every fish has the vertical bars on them. Are there particular bars that show stress and others that do not?

I'm just curious as to the accuracy of the vertical bars indicating stress?

Thanks!

Second Hand Pat
01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
You will find that people like to refer to the stress bars as mood bars. Those bars are used as a means of communication. The bars can show stress (strong dark bars), dominant (bars are reversed), breeding (showing the center bar and sometimes the bar behind the center bar (thinking nine bar fish) and other subtle signs whose meaning might be guessed at through observations Also fish will use bars to help blend into the background such as a dark or black background.

Wes
01-23-2014, 11:18 PM
+1 Pat camparable to peoples facial expressions or body language. ie ;):o:mad::):(:p:scared::shocked::sick2:

brddthomas
01-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Since I am new to Discus. What are stress bars and where do they show up ?

There is so much information on this site, It makes my head hurt :)

Wes
01-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Since I am new to Discus. What are stress bars and where do they show up ?

There is so much information on this site, It makes my head hurt :)

The vertical bars in my avatar picture

dirtyplants
01-24-2014, 12:55 AM
You will find that people like to refer to the stress bars as mood bars. Those bars are used as a means of communication. The bars can show stress (strong dark bars), dominant (bars are reversed), breeding (showing the center bar and sometimes the bar behind the center bar (thinking nine bar fish) and other subtle signs whose meaning might be guessed at through observations Also fish will use bars to help blend into the background such as a dark or black background.

Very nice bit of information Pat.

dominant (bars are reversed), Is this when the bars look almost white in color?

brddthomas
01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Thanks Wes. So, I assume not all Discus have those bars, is this a correct assumption ?

sholvey
01-24-2014, 01:17 AM
Thanks Wes. So, I assume not all Discus have those bars, is this a correct assumption ?

You are correct. Pigeon bloods and blue diamonds are an example of that.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2014, 02:21 AM
Is this when the bars look almost white in color?

Yes Coree

Wes
01-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Sean is correct. The pigeon blood and cobalts don't have stress bars. The pigeon blood was developed in 1989 selectively breeding golden base with violet stripes that was peppered, with a Red Turquoise. The goal was no stress bars and to get rid of the pepper. The blue diamond was selectively breed from cobalts to remove the bars.

John_Nicholson
01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
So close......cobalts do have stress ( communication ) bars but should not really show them that much as adults. Blue diamonds are the ones without bars. You also have ghost that will normally only have an eye and tail bar, show whites without any......

-john

Sean is correct. The pigeon blood and cobalts don't have stress bars. The pigeon blood was developed in 1989 selectively breeding golden base with violet stripes that was peppered, with a Red Turquoise. The goal was no stress bars and to get rid of the pepper. The blue diamond was selectively breed from cobalts to remove the bars.

dennin7418
01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
The the avatars of Wes and SecondHandPat.....those show stressed fish....or just fish undergoing some sort of mood...

I feel like i know my fish well enough to know who shows shows bars and to what degree...BUT...I don't want to think that any bars are bad bars....really should depend on the fish and not be used as a dependable variable for care right???

John_Nicholson
01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Breeders have been trying to get rid of the bars for years so most domestic fish will show them less then wild fish. Also they should be called communication bars and not stress bars. Their appearance does not mean that the fish is stressed.

-john

Wes
01-24-2014, 11:19 AM
So close......cobalts do have stress ( communication ) bars but should not really show them that much as adults. Blue diamonds are the ones without bars. You also have ghost that will normally only have an eye and tail bar, show whites without any......

-john

oops typo-- meant to say blue diamonds thanks John for catching it. I didn't have my coffee before I posted.:coffee:

Wes
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
The the avatars of Wes and SecondHandPat.....those show stressed fish....or just fish undergoing some sort of mood...

That pic was taken shortly after I removed the dominant fish in the tank. That fish and all the others in the tank were showing their stuff trying to be top dog.

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Wes, actually remember when I mentioned the use of stress bars. The fish in the foreground of my avatar is the female of my Tefe pair. The bars she is showing are the center and next bar back are shown when the fish are breeding. Look how dim the other bars are.

sholvey
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM
As I mentioned earlier and forgot to point out about blue diamonds. If you look at my avatar, it's a blue diamond. And you can see, it doesn't have stress bars.

sholvey
01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
oops typo-- meant to say blue diamonds thanks John for catching it. I didn't have my coffee before I posted.:coffee:
Haha Wes, after I read John's reply, I had to double check my post to see if I put Cobalt lol. I wrote that at midnight after a 12 hour shift at the hospital. lol

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Wes, actually remember when I mentioned the use of stress bars. The fish in the foreground of my avatar is the female of my Tefe pair. The bars she is showing are the center and next bar back are shown when the fish are breeding. Look how dim the other bars are.

Also look through the pictures of this photo album for closer picture of my Tefe pair and use of bars.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/album.php?albumid=601

Miamiheat
01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
You are correct. Pigeon bloods and blue diamonds are an example of that.

But if your blue diamond starts looking dark its a sign also that something ain't right. So in that case you don't need a bar.

sholvey
01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
But if your blue diamond starts looking dark its a sign also that something ain't right. So in that case you don't need a bar.

Exactly, the will darken up. Also, they will loose the red around their eyes.

Beurre blanc
01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Also look through the pictures of this photo album for closer picture of my Tefe pair and use of bars.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/album.php?albumid=601

That sure is an amazing couple. You should of kept you're own topic on the forum regarding the tanks and fish you keep so others can learn how to make wilds thrive. I tried wilds once and didn't succeed, so back to regular non wilds for me.. :p

Second Hand Pat
01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
That sure is an amazing couple. You should of kept you're own topic on the forum regarding the tanks and fish you keep so others can learn how to make wilds thrive. I tried wilds once and didn't succeed, so back to regular non wilds for me.. :p

Thanks Beurre, I have a ton of material on this forum regarding just what you mention. Most of it is in my homesteader...here's a link http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?224-Pat-s-Crow-Nest-%28Second-Hand-Pat%29-Central-Florida :D

OC Discus
01-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Some of the wilds with bold bars are attractive. Are there some strains that show the bars all the time?