PDA

View Full Version : Serious water temperature emergency!

LisaT
01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure what to do...Some how, during the night the power must have gone out in my house, for quite some time. Both my husband and I were working (normally one of us would have been home to get the generator going). The power must have came back on shortly before I got home. The temp in my discus tank is 67 degrees. Miraculously, my fish are all alive but I'm not sure if they can last until the water heats back up...but I don't want to do anything drastic- like a big water change with warm water because I think they need to warm up gradually. Any suggestions? Judging by the time on my clock, I'd say the power was out most of the night. They have probably been in cold water for many hours.

nc0gnet0
01-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Warm it up with a water change to about 74-74 and let the heater do the rest. This will also add depleted 02. What type of filtration do you have?

John_Nicholson
01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Do as Rick said about and everything will be fine.

-john

SortSay2003
01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Good morning Lisa,

Best thing to do is let the heater(s) gradually (as you'd mentioned) warm up the water. If you heat it up too fast through wc or other means, you throw them into SHOCK.

Look at it this way, if the worst temp was 67F and you're heating the water back up, they can't do no worse. Get your water back up to 82-84F, let them get stabilized, before any wc. HTH

SortSay2003
01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
The pros beat me to it:) Go with their suggestions. Mine was based on what I would do:)

LisaT
01-28-2014, 09:50 AM
I can't believe that they will be ok...I figured everyone would tell me to say goodbye. In addition to the power going out seem to have lost my internet connection. I can only reply by phone...which is a pain. But I can see your responses. So thank you, even if I don't reply

John_Nicholson
01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Well as long as they were healthy to start with they will be good now. If they were of marginal healthy and carrying some hidden stuff then it might show up but I would not worry about it.

-john

ericatdallas
01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
It's happened to me before too.. I don't bring it up with the WC, I just let the heaters kick-in. I don't see a problem with a small WC and then gradually introduce warmer water either but I personally think they will be fine with no additional fussing.

nc0gnet0
01-28-2014, 10:06 AM
It's happened to me before too.. I don't bring it up with the WC, I just let the heaters kick-in. I don't see a problem with a small WC and then gradually introduce warmer water either but I personally think they will be fine with no additional fussing.

After 6+ hours without power, no heat, no air, no filtration, it's always best to do a water change. It's not just the low temp that needs to be a matter of concern. And, if your going to do a water change, might as well help the heaters along. It is really hard to say how long it will take the OP tank to heat up without knowing the size of the tank, size of the heater, etc etc. Why leave the fish in a stressed environment for an even more extended duration of time?

sholvey
01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
It's happen to me where I forgot to plug my heaters back in. Just do what the others told you and you'll be fine. Good luck!

LisaT
01-28-2014, 10:17 AM
What's also amazing to me is that all 20 neons are still alive. I was told if they get cold they would not survive.

nc0gnet0
01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
What's also amazing to me is that all 20 neons are still alive. I was told if they get cold they would not survive.

It's all relative to the duration and the overall health of the fish. What type of filtration are you using? This is as much a concern as the temperature.

It's happen to me where I forgot to plug my heaters back in. Just do what the others told you and you'll be fine. Good luck!

While simular, not quite the same. If the OP has a canister filter or HOB, there are other issues to consider besides the heat. If she has sponge filters, she probably has nothing to worry about in regrads to health of the beneficial bacteria in the filter.

LisaT
01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
As far as I can tell all of the fish were healthy. I have a hang on the back filter....there are two heaters in the tank because the room gets very cold. 1 is a 300 watt and the other is a 250 watt. The tank is 75 gallons. So far the water temperature is up to 70. I'm starting to see a little more movement.
as I said I just got home from working a long night. I am going to bed. my hope is that they are all still alive when I get up. If the water temperature is normal I will do a water change and Feed them

ericatdallas
01-28-2014, 11:41 AM
After 6+ hours without power, no heat, no air, no filtration, it's always best to do a water change. It's not just the low temp that needs to be a matter of concern. And, if your going to do a water change, might as well help the heaters along. It is really hard to say how long it will take the OP tank to heat up without knowing the size of the tank, size of the heater, etc etc. Why leave the fish in a stressed environment for an even more extended duration of time?

Didn't say the OP couldn't/shouldn't do a WC. Just saying he could bypass one. I don't do it right away because I think a WC in those conditions -may- add stress. Once the temp reaches regular levels, then have at it.

I don't see a problem with a small WC and then gradually introduce warmer water either but I personally think they will be fine with no additional fussing.

OC Discus
01-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Lisa
Imagine you went outside and shoveled snow until you got really cold, then came back in. If you didnt die outside you would probably start feeling better as soon as you came inside.

Watch for ich after a sudden drop in temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaT
01-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm happy to say they all survived including the neons and my one lonely angle fish. You guys saved me a ton of stress.

OC Discus
01-29-2014, 10:38 PM
:)