PDA

View Full Version : Male abusing Female

rdub
01-28-2014, 03:40 PM
I have a pair that recently spawned. When they became agitated at the fry I removed the fry and they are doing fine. However, the male is now after the female constantly. He drives her into a corner where she stays. Dark and up against the side of the tank. The only remedy I've found is to separate them. When I do this she is fine. As soon as I put them back together it starts all over again.

Any constructive comments or suggestions?

Kal-El
01-28-2014, 03:43 PM
My were the opposite with the female kicking the male's butt. I normally remove the female as she's the one that eats the fry. In your chase if both are good parents pull one out or put a divider in the tank.

rdiscus
01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Like human, every family have different story lol ... but I have one pair love each other from head to tail lol

John_Nicholson
01-28-2014, 03:55 PM
The male is just wanted to spawn again. You can either put them together to work it out or re-pair them with other fish. There is no other way to beat nature.

-john

rdub
01-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Yes, it appeared that he was ready to spawn again. Shall I just let nature take it's course and keep them together even though she stays up in the corner?

rdiscus
01-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Sometimes it won't work out, I had pair, they were fine, but when ever they had egg, female wanted to guard the egg by herself, then she started beat the male, then he fought back. She was almost dead if I didn't remove her ...

rdub
01-28-2014, 04:03 PM
That is my concern here.

John_Nicholson
01-28-2014, 04:06 PM
I have never had a pair where one killed the other. I have had one that I thought he was going to kill her but after about 10 days life was good. I am not sure what happened but from that point forward they never fought again. Its your choice but is you want them to spawn you have to put them together. One option is to put them in a much larger tank. It will give the pair more room to work it out.

-john

Allwin
01-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Lol, can't agree more :)

Like human, every family have different story lol ... but I have one pair love each other from head to tail lol