PDA

View Full Version : water change and cycle...help

skie
01-29-2014, 04:07 AM
Hey guys I have had a tank with 5 neons and 5 rummys and a blue ram at the moment in a 40g tank. Its been running for 3 weeks should I be doing water changes or wait. I have 2 aqua clear 70 and I am taking out the carbon and adding purigen and matrix(on top of biomax) and a floss sponge. When I get my discus next month and will be doing 50% every other day. Tell me what you think and thanks for the input.

AndyVN
01-29-2014, 04:23 AM
What are your water parameters now? How many discus are you getting? You should be doing partial W/C. Keep tabs on your water parameters and you should be okay.

skie
01-29-2014, 04:26 AM
PH is 6.6 everything else I haven't tested for. I have a pinpoint pH monitor. What should I look for in the tests for ammonia nitrites and nitrates...all 0s?

BODYDUB
01-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Three week old tank? It might not even be cycled yet to have fish in it. I would suggest dong lots of reading in the discus beginner section before taking the plunge into discus............

ericatdallas
01-29-2014, 12:56 PM
So, you may still have a mini-cycle by adding a larger bioload (depending on how many fish you decide to buy).

This is what I do... but WARNING, that doesn't mean it's the best idea either but I haven't had a Discus loss doing it.

When I first introduce a lot of Discus to a new tank (not fully cycled), I usually do 50% WC in the morning and 75% in the evening for however many weeks it takes. I also measure nitrogen (ammonita, nitrate, nitrite) before and after every WC. This takes a lot of work but I personally think it works. You just have to be careful and diligent about it. The first week is probably the most crucial that you maintain it and not slip up.

You can know when to stop when your parameters are good before a WC. Increase the 50/75% WC as appropriate based on your readings.

BUT the better way to do it is to have a fully cycled tank BEFORE getting the fish.

Of course what I'm suggesting isn't much different from what people tell you to do for a growout tank either. If you search the topic, there are some that think it's not necessary to cycle your tank if you do two 100% WC a day and aren't too overstocked.

It's always good to have a cycled tank though as a backup/buffer.

skie
01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
thanks guys i just dont get the cycling part that i just struggle with for some reason. probly because i cheat and put seachem stability in for 7 days and you can add fish when ever. im not quite ready for discus but am confident ill get there.

skie
01-29-2014, 04:42 PM
i need the "cycle" explained to me in dumb mode after that i will get it. i know that the filter is supposed to hold all the BB. im not adding discus for atleast another month maybe 2.

Skip
01-29-2014, 04:45 PM
i need the "cycle" explained to me in dumb mode after that i will get it. i know that the filter is supposed to hold all the BB. im not adding discus for atleast another month maybe 2.

http://wilmettepetcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/NitrogenCycle.jpg

Skip
01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/articles/a_654_AquaNitrogenCycle.jpg

skie
01-29-2014, 05:07 PM
still aint workin. how will i tell in a test that a cycle is complete ?

ericatdallas
01-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Skip, first I've seen the one with the Discus? Where did that come from?

Heyguy74
01-29-2014, 10:34 PM
still aint workin. how will i tell in a test that a cycle is complete ?

You should have 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and you should have a nitrate reading. The nitrates will continue to rise, until you do a water change. If you get a higher reading than 0 for ammonia and nitrite , you are still cycling.

Skip
01-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Skip, first I've seen the one with the Discus? Where did that come from?

Google images. . Didn't even notice discus

GeauxDiscus
01-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Seachem Stability seems to help cycle ammonia much faster, but it didn't do squat for the nitrite and nitrate portion of the cycle. Skie, as your tank cycles, test your tank every day, and do a daily 50% water change (or more) since you have fish. The nitrifying bacteria live on the surfaces/sides of your tank, so any dip s*** that tells you not to do water changes while you're cycling is wrong. As you test, your ammonia will spike, and then come down to zero. Then your nitrite will spike, and then come down to zero. Finally, after a month or more (even using Stability), your nitrate will spike and come down to (hopefully) 10 or lower, or at least that's the target if you are doing well on your water changes. Hopefully that simplifies it.

And I agree - Skip always has the best charts.

AndyVN
01-30-2014, 04:32 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Sorry for the late reply, but you need to read this before you start on Discus. You also haven't mention the amount of discus fish you plan on getting because IMO 40g is a bit small for a group of 5-6 discus along with your neons and rummys'. Assuming that you're doing a BB grow-out for juveniles, it would be okay as long as you do daily big W/C. But before any of that, your priority now is to have a fully cycled tank.

You should be testing your water parameters and making W/C until your ammonia/nitrite levels dip to 0. Doing W/C will lower your nitrate levels to a reasonable amount. Best way to insure that your tank is fully cycled is by taking your time! All the comments above will have the right ideas for you.

Cheers

skie
01-31-2014, 04:20 AM
Thank you guys sooo F'in much I'm doing 65 % (I know that's a random level) WC a day. Stuffed the python tube with course filter pads to lower micro bubbles. Add a full dose of prime. PH Is at 6.7. I understand this is a process and I'm willing to put in the hard work and care and be consistent.

I've come to realize that for my whole aquarium life and working in the busines that discus people are the nicest, caring, dedicated people I've ever talked to. I'm not a dummy but I just didn't know the cycle but thank you so much for the help.

P.S.- I will post pics of the happy discus that you guys help get there. Also working on zebras

GeauxDiscus
01-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Alright then! Good luck!

ericatdallas
02-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Google images. . Didn't even notice discus

Okay, I was worried you did it, and I was going to tell you to put a better looking Discus on it :)

Then I was going to ask you to help me with a project at work :P