PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this???

krislewis3
02-01-2014, 07:42 AM
One of my discus searches out, and eats the feces from my bristle nose pleco!! And YES, she swallows it, and then looks for more. She even picked one up that was still being expelled by the pleco! It was like a tug of war!! Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm wondering if it's because it looks like a black worm!! Kris

zimmjeff
02-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Thank God no!!!!!!!!! Jeff lol

Chicago Discus
02-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Aaaaaaaaaa......NO

plecocicho
02-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Like all herbivores plecos can digest only a part what they ingest, so their poo has still some partly degraded energy sources. Using energy by feeding on herbivors feaces is not uncommen in animal kingdom. Also, detritus is par of wild discus diet and so its not a long strech for our discus to consider pleco poo as a possible food source. My sugestion, increase your veggie part in thier diet.

krislewis3
02-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Like all herbivores plecos can digest only a part what they ingest, so their poo has still some partly degraded energy sources. Using energy by feeding on herbivors feaces is not uncommen in animal kingdom. Also, detritus is par of wild discus diet and so its not a long strech for our discus to consider pleco poo as a possible food source. My sugestion, increase your veggie part in thier diet.

Have you seen any of your discus doing this? Do you think this could cause illness in the discus, keeping in mind that the discus and the plecos have been in the same tank together for close to a year?

pastry
02-01-2014, 12:36 PM
my old lab used to love eating cat sh**... but never saw a discus eating pleco poo. Great way to keep it clean. How much you want for him?

krislewis3
02-01-2014, 12:50 PM
my old lab used to love eating cat sh**... but never saw a discus eating pleco poo. Great way to keep it clean. How much you want for him?

Yea...I know that it's not abnormal for dogs to eat cat sh.., because it's high in fat content!!! But, I have never seen or heard about discus doing it, until plecocicho enlightened me in his reply!!

SortSay2003
02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Wow! Just learn something new today.

I've only seen my discus take in sh** and spits it back out after the taste. I guess we all (animal and human) have our own FETISH! lol

Now, that's one fish who likes it to go in the same, come out the same!!!! I hope they don't turn into what they eat!

Cichlidcraze
02-01-2014, 01:28 PM
My discus also eats pleco poop. Not straight from the pleco though! Killed myself laughing when i read that! I was concerned over possible health issues, so i posted a thread here on SD. Only a problem if the pleco is sick, according to what i was told. Unfortunately my green phantom pleco poops a whole lot more than my discus can eat! So it doesnt even come close to helping keep the tank clean.

Cass

Allwin
02-01-2014, 02:33 PM
She has a bad taste!!!

Skip
02-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Give ur discus more food

dirtyplants
02-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Yum, looks like a worm to me.

krislewis3
02-02-2014, 06:20 AM
I don't think that the problem, since I over feed them now....but I did add veg/garlic flakes thinking that might help!

krislewis3
02-02-2014, 06:21 AM
My discus also eats pleco poop. Not straight from the pleco though! Killed myself laughing when i read that! I was concerned over possible health issues, so i posted a thread here on SD. Only a problem if the pleco is sick, according to what i was told. Unfortunately my green phantom pleco poops a whole lot more than my discus can eat! So it doesnt even come close to helping keep the tank clean.

Cass

So nice to hear that someone else has seen this behavior!!

Scales
02-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Let us know if you see any rapid growth! Maybe it could be your magic formula! Lol!

krislewis3
02-02-2014, 12:00 PM
She has a bad taste!!!

Perhaps she's into recycling!

krislewis3
02-02-2014, 12:12 PM

Cass

Cass, I went back to read your thread on the sh**eating discus problem, and I'm curious to see a photo of your green phantom pleco!!!! Can you post one?

Cichlidcraze
02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Now that was a procedure. After struggling for nearly an hour with this camera shy pleco to get a halfway decent pic! And then another 2 hours trying to set up a photobucket acc, and failing for some unknown reason. And then finally figuring out how to upload a pic direct from my phone.... Here it is. Apologies for the poor quality pic. It was taken with my phone.

Cass

Nick Klimkowski
02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Never had that problem...lol.

we4wieners
02-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't think that the problem, since I over feed them now....but I did add veg/garlic flakes thinking that might help!

Garlic flakes and pleco poo.....remind me to never have a conversation with that discus.

krislewis3
02-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Now that was a procedure. After struggling for nearly an hour with this camera shy pleco to get a halfway decent pic! And then another 2 hours trying to set up a photobucket acc, and failing for some unknown reason. And then finally figuring out how to upload a pic direct from my phone.... Here it is. Apologies for the poor quality pic. It was taken with my phone.

Cass

Now that is one cool pleco!!!

krislewis3
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Garlic flakes and pleco poo.....remind me to never have a conversation with that discus.

LOL!!

Allwin
02-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Probably, she has got hybrid gene.(Pleco+Discus):o

Perhaps she's into recycling!

Cichlidcraze
02-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Now that is one cool pleco!!!

Thanks. Most expensive pleco i ever bought (about $70). Word of caution - mine is very aggressive towards other bottom dwellers and any other tankmates at feeding time. But definately not a boring old pleco.

krislewis3
02-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks. Most expensive pleco i ever bought (about $70). Word of caution - mine is very aggressive towards other bottom dwellers and any other tankmates at feeding time. But definately not a boring old pleco.

What size is he now, and how big will he get?

Cichlidcraze
02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Its about 3" now. Males get up to 10" and females max out at about 7 to 8" according to what i have read. When i first got it, i had it in Qt with a golden bristle nose. The green phantom chased it relentlessly until the bristle nose got fed up, deployed its awesome defensive weaponry and shredded the phantoms fins. My horror! A cheap bristle nose ruining a $70 fish. Moved the bristle nose to my daughters tank reall fast. The phantoms fins healed within two days much to my relief.

MrsIHguy
02-03-2014, 10:23 PM
I have a discus that will give the poo a taste then spit it out... My wiener dog snacks in the litter box... And my daughter's dog eats her own poo... What is with critters and poop?? I don't get it :p

Cichlidcraze
02-04-2014, 01:21 AM
I have a discus that will give the poo a taste then spit it out... My wiener dog snacks in the litter box... And my daughter's dog eats her own poo... What is with critters and poop?? I don't get it :p

I was about to eat breakfast...but i am suddenly not hungry anymore...lol.