PDA

View Full Version : How do explain what you love about discus to those who don't get it

aquadon2222
02-02-2014, 01:08 AM
I remember the first time I saw a school of tanked discus in my LFS...I didn't know what I was looking at but I was fascinated. Immediately all of the fish in the store seemed like nothing to me - I wanted these regardless of the cost. My first purchase we a clean and beautiful Stnedker Fire Red, a Blue Diamond, blue turquoise, a Tefe, and a Silver Pigeon.

I think part of my attracted was their docile nature, how they hand concededly handing in the tank, instead of manically swimming the length of the tank seemingly looking for a way out. The different strains of every color of the rainbow also attracted me. As I bring in friends to look at me tank, I'm met with indifference to intrigue.

How do you describe your love of discus? What do you like about them over other aquarium fish?

dogeatdog3
02-02-2014, 01:18 AM
Wow that's deep dude .

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Wes
02-02-2014, 03:08 AM
When I see a group of healthy discus swimming so gracefully in a tank I get the same feeling as looking at this scene in this picture.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/sunrise_zps6922ef74.png (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/xeriod/media/sunrise_zps6922ef74.png.html)

I have stopped trying to explain it to non believers. Its like art, some get it others don't. Like I will never get this Picasso. You could explain till your blue in the face why you like it and I don't and won't get it.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/47_PabloPicasso-Weeping-Woman-with-Handkerchief-1937_zps7e89b784.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/xeriod/media/47_PabloPicasso-Weeping-Woman-with-Handkerchief-1937_zps7e89b784.jpg.html)

Rudustin
02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
I never explain because there is no need too. It's my thing and sharing it with friends and family who don't get isn't necessary.

Scales
02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
It's my therapy after the end of the work day! Nothing like coming home and wiping down a tank and changing water after a stressful day at work, then watching a beautiful group of fish majestically move around and greet you every time you pass by the tank!

Second Hand Pat
02-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Beside the reasons already posted I enjoyed just watching the interactions between the wild fish and the ways they communication with each other. The domination, showing of submission, use of bars to intensify the body language. My favorite is when I get a wild pair and watch them tend to their young....nothing beats that. :)

dogeatdog3
02-03-2014, 01:01 AM
I have health issues high blood pressure etc. I had always heard having fish was good therapy it is and a lot more.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

dirtyplants
02-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Discus are community based creatures. They have rank and file, likes and dislikes, they care for their young, and protect their family. Yet they need community, they are complicated, beautiful, majestic, loving, and gentle, but ruthless, tough, pig headed, prideful, and stubborn. They communicate through body language, color, and they know one human from another. They know how to get what they want from us. They greet, shun, and attack and continue to confound us, entertain us, delight us, and manage to fill us full of grief and despair when we fail to safeguard their environment and their health. Never have I been so ecstatic about extremely large families. They relax me and entertain me, fill me with joy and become the object of obsession. They are expensive and work intensive, and extremely addictive. They can be like Rembrandt, Mozart, or Monet, a splash of color, a lively beat, or a dark secret, a sonnet of rhythm and serenity. In short they are far more complicated then me.

Trier20
02-03-2014, 04:05 AM
I always just show pictures of them and usually get a "they are cool" I don't expect them to get it. I just explain it's a hobby that allows me to de-stress and enjoy some peaceful time, even if that time involves a lot of sweat and chaotic running around a fish room. Well used to do that anyway.

YSS
02-03-2014, 08:49 AM
It's a personal preference. Some like it round and some don't. Some like it red and some like it blue.