PDA

View Full Version : Plastic on filter suction

donnacona
02-03-2014, 12:08 AM
I would like your opinion::bounce2:
I changed the carbon pad in my Eheim filter to a green plastic scrub pad you find in the dollar store the ones without the sponge.
It has been in there for about a couple of months with discus juveniles.
But I had a little problem feeding juveniles brine shrimps, they enter the suction pipe and slow down the filter's flow.
My cure was to make a strainer out of the green plastic scrub pad and put it on the intake of the filter.
I noticed that since I put it on yesterday it not only stops the shrimps from getting in, but the water is clearer.
Since the first green scrub pad has not caused any problem I guess this thing I made will be ok.
Has anyone using them had any problems in the long run and what do you think of my idea.
TIA:drummer:
Stu

Ryan
02-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Stu,

Many people recommend a sponge prefilter over the intake of your filters. You can make them out of foam sponges yourself or buy pre-made ones that have plastic fittings for various brands of filters. Either way, it's something we suggest around here because you don't want your filters sucking up all that high-protein food and fouling your water.

The green scrub pads are probably okay but a sponge may be easier to remove and rinse with each water change, which is suggested to keep them clean and prevent the flow in your filters from slowing down.

Ryan

blueluv
02-03-2014, 12:34 AM
IMO, I wouldn't use them. If you've ever used them to clean with them , you'll see a green dye come off the scrub pad. You're better off using aquaclear sponges or filter max 3 pre filter sponge for the intake.

Elliots
02-03-2014, 08:23 AM
I use prefilter sponges. They look okay because they are made to fit my intakes. They cost $1-2 and after 18 months oif daily rinsing none are bad yet.

Tazalanche
02-09-2014, 01:30 PM
This is what we use with all of our Eheim canister filters (three 2215, a 2217 & a 2236):
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/ati-filter-max-3.html

http://www.kensfish.com/media/filters/internal/ss_size2/Filter-Max-Pre-Filters-1024x480.jpg

No problems and no complaints.

evabug1
02-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I use the filter max 3 on my AC110. Works great, and I clean it daily. Traps loads of gunk in it!

donnacona
02-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Bought sponge filters fluval
Thanks all