PDA

View Full Version : Would like to add a school of tetras, whats the general concensus?

we4wieners
02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Id like to add cardinals, say 25. However, I am sure I will constantly be replacing them, true? I hear rummynose live longer. What ever you guys choose I will likely go with. I like them all and hope to have a healthy school of them. I have a planted 10g with cardinals I have had for years...yes years. I believe the outcome will be different in a 110g with discus.

shrinkwrap
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Had good experience with rummy nose and bad with cardinals. I've had rummy nose for a year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

pastry
02-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Lemons have been my favorite. I have a 150 and started with 7. They've multiplied like crazy over the past few years and I've had to net a bunch out from time to time (after 2 years I've probably seen that original 7 turn into 150... give or take 20)

jmf3460
02-03-2014, 05:45 PM
+1 on lemons, even though I chose black neons on the pole, I have a pretty tight school of lemons in with a tilapia cichlid that school really well and do not pick on him at all.

we4wieners
02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Thinking I may go with lemons. My LFS has WC Rummynose at 3.99. This is very disturbing....cant make a decision.

nc0gnet0
02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
I like lemons as well. Much hardier

jmf3460
02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
LEMONS LEMONS LEMONS

trungnguyen
02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Maybe a sump question, how does the lemon look?

Trung.

Joe
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Lemon tetras are a good choice. Although, I'd like to try hatchet fish at some point

Joe

OC Discus
02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Don't skimp on quarantine. They are known carriers of ick and velvet. It may not even show on them, but they can pass it to your discus. 2-3 weeks in qt tank then add least favorite discus to qt. 2-3 weeks in qt with 1 discus. Watch for/treat white spot or other disease accordingly.

Nick Klimkowski
02-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Rummy nose are my favorite, but congoes are nice as well may not be the best with discus though.

we4wieners
02-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Don't skimp on quarantine. They are known carriers of ick and velvet. It may not even show on them, but they can pass it to your discus. 2-3 weeks in qt tank then add least favorite discus to qt. 2-3 weeks in qt with 1 discus. Watch for/treat white spot or other disease accordingly.
I have a relatively small Qtine tank. I will QT them though.

Lemon tetras are a good choice. Although, I'd like to try hatchet fish at some point

Joe
Don't hatchets mainly swim in the upper 1/3. I like the shoaling aspect of this lemons.

Trubble
02-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I like Lemons. I have a school of 12 in my 135 gal. I also have 36ish Emperor Tetras. Given my druthers, I tend to prefer Emperors the most, but the Lemons are a close second.

we4wieners
02-04-2014, 08:29 PM
could I possibly do two small schools of either combo....cards, lemons, rummynose, etc? I have a 110g with 9 discus and several bottom folks.

blueluv
02-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Maybe a sump question, how does the lemon look?

Trung.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/05/yvunevy7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zachrabbit15
02-06-2014, 03:23 AM
HY511's are very nice and make a stunning school.

we4wieners
02-06-2014, 01:40 PM
LEMONS it was !! I went with a group of ten.

DiscusOnly
02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Aquarium Center in NJ has these $1 deal on shoaling fish all the time. Last time they had it, I picked up 40 tank raised rummy for growing out. They are quite small but I am growing them out with daily WC and they are looking good so far. May want to give them a try.

I have lemon tetra in my planted tank. They are very active fish and easy to keep.

we4wieners
02-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Aquarium Center in NJ has these $1 deal on shoaling fish all the time. Last time they had it, I picked up 40 tank raised rummy for growing out. They are quite small but I am growing them out with daily WC and they are looking good so far. May want to give them a try.

I have lemon tetra in my planted tank. They are very active fish and easy to keep.That's where I go. I cleaned out their Lemons. They have wild caught rummynose now for 3.99. I didn't know they had a dollar sale. Heading there this week to grab a few more lemons.

Second Hand Pat
02-07-2014, 10:35 AM
If you want to try something a little different look at the gold tetra. I have a small school which is about three years old and they are too quick for discus to catch.

DiscusOnly
02-07-2014, 11:17 AM
That's where I go. I cleaned out their Lemons. They have wild caught rummynose now for 3.99. I didn't know they had a dollar sale. Heading there this week to grab a few more lemons.

Wild caught are priced much more. They are about 3 times the size. I've had some from them that are few years old. They also put them in their discus section so make sure you QT well.

The $1 rummy are small and very young. I was not sure about them when I saw them in person. Figured I give them a try and grow them out. I got 40 and they have been doing good after having them for about a month now. I may eventually put them in with the wild rummy in the planted tank.

I got 10 High Fin Serpae Tetra and they are nice as well.

They usually advertise the special as 5 for $5

High Fin Serpae Tetra - Checkerboard Barb - Black Hi Fin Tetra
Bloodfin Tetra - Ember Tetra - Buenos Aires Tetra - Rummy Nose Tetra
White Cloud - Giant Danio - Lemon Tetra - Head & Tail Light Tetra
Pristella Tetra - Neon Tetra - Silvertip Tetra - Red Eye Tetra - Tiger Barb
Glowlight Tetra - Endlers Guppy - Black Convict - Cherry Barb

we4wieners
02-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Wild caught are priced much more. They are about 3 times the size. I've had some from them that are few years old. They also put them in their discus section so make sure you QT well.

The $1 rummy are small and very young. I was not sure about them when I saw them in person. Figured I give them a try and grow them out. I got 40 and they have been doing good after having them for about a month now. I may eventually put them in with the wild rummy in the planted tank.

I got 10 High Fin Serpae Tetra and they are nice as well.

They usually advertise the special as 5 for $5

High Fin Serpae Tetra - Checkerboard Barb - Black Hi Fin Tetra
Bloodfin Tetra - Ember Tetra - Buenos Aires Tetra - Rummy Nose Tetra
White Cloud - Giant Danio - Lemon Tetra - Head & Tail Light Tetra
Pristella Tetra - Neon Tetra - Silvertip Tetra - Red Eye Tetra - Tiger Barb
Glowlight Tetra - Endlers Guppy - Black Convict - Cherry Barb
Thanks for the info. Gonna have to call about the sale. I go up often and have yet to see it. I'd like a few more Lemons. Very active shoalers!!

pastry
02-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Gonna have to call about the sale. I go up often and have yet to see it. I'd like a few more Lemons. Very active shoalers!!

Make the discus happy and you'll make the lemons happy... make the lemons happy and you'll end up with more lemons :p

we4wieners
02-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Make the discus happy and you'll make the lemons happy... make the lemons happy and you'll end up with more lemons :p
After a day in the tank the Lemons a running like thugs. All over the place! Very fun to watch. Are you saying I may not have to buy more?

pastry
02-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Well, how many did you get? I think most common tetras would multiply in my tank because of all the crap (plants... and yes, algae) I have in there. Pristellas did the same thing (multiplied... but definitely not as quickly as those original 7 lemons!). I remember getting the 7 lemons and thinking, "damn't, wish the store had more because I have a few more discus than I do lemons," but then within a few months of leaving them alone (but continuing more normal WCs and discus keeping) I saw a few tiny dots that were miniature lemons... and then that became a normal occurrence.

we4wieners
02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Well, how many did you get? I think most common tetras would multiply in my tank because of all the crap (plants... and yes, algae) I have in there. Pristellas did the same thing (multiplied... but definitely not as quickly as those original 7 lemons!). I remember getting the 7 lemons and thinking, "damn't, wish the store had more because I have a few more discus than I do lemons," but then within a few months of leaving them alone (but continuing more normal WCs and discus keeping) I saw a few tiny dots that were miniature lemons... and then that became a normal occurrence.
That's funny you say that. After only a week, I noticed some of the Lemons pairing off and doing the dance. Is that possible so soon? I suppose I wont buy more. Can they spawn and raise the fry in a community discus tank?

Tazalanche
02-09-2014, 03:02 PM
I like Lemons. I have a school of 12 in my 135 gal. I also have 36ish Emperor Tetras. Given my druthers, I tend to prefer Emperors the most, but the Lemons are a close second.We used to keep only cardinals with our discus, but bought 75-100 cardinals from January to June last year & only have 7 remaining. Apparently they're tasty to our discus, where the lemons & emperors are larger than an adult discus mouth. :)

We also have class N endlers in our discus tanks. They're pretty fast, but reproduce so much that even if the discus were eating them we would barely notice.

pastry
02-09-2014, 03:05 PM
That's funny you say that. After only a week, I noticed some of the Lemons pairing off and doing the dance. Is that possible so soon? I suppose I wont buy more. Can they spawn and raise the fry in a community discus tank?

Honestly, I never see them do it (I think they do it in small groups though... a female and several males if I recall correctly). But yes, the fry a raised in my community. I wouldn't say "raised" because I don't try... they just pop up. I usually will notice them once about 2-3 mm's in length (sometimes one but most times their own little baby lemon school of 3-7 fish). It was cool the first few times but then I had to start netting them out once in awhile (give to others).

Tictok
02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
I really like the look of cardinal tetras, but can be very sensitive to acclimate. My first batch I lost because I didn't do a drip acclimation. Next group have been great! I also have a batch of rummy nose and they school with the cardinals! I had a few Congo tetras in the tank at one time, but seemed unhappy and clustered at one corner of the tank... when I moved to another tank that was at 78 degrees they almost seemed to wake up from their super. Don't think they cared much for the high temperature.