PDA

View Full Version : here comes the snow....again

kid discus
02-12-2014, 06:23 PM
thought this was funny

http://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

Discus-n00b
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Thats how it really is. You have to remember though.....we aren't used to it or prepared for it at all. And while you yankees are out driving in it EVERYTHING closes down here, stores included! We can't go anywhere! ;)

Pardal
02-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Same here in Virginia Tide Water Area , people don't know how to drive on snow , just took me this afternoon an hour and half to commute back home this is a 20 minute drive 30 tops with traffic. the snow wasn't holding just melting once it hit the pavement.
bottle necks, accidents you name it ridiculous!!!

Rudustin
02-12-2014, 08:32 PM
I am going on a business trip to Montreal tomorrow. Not looking forward to being at the airport here in Miami. Flights going to the entire east coast are canceled. Still watching if my flight is in jeopardy. Don't mind staying home in sunny south Florida.

kid discus
02-12-2014, 08:55 PM
last time it snowed it turned my 45 min ride home from work into 5.5 hrs people in the city have no idea how to drive. im wondering if it is even worth it for me to go in tomorrow. hey rudustin...i have a house in tier verde fl im thinking about taking a long weekend and going there in a couple of weeks. i cant remember the last time it was above freezing here in ny. and whats worse is that i have to work outside most of the time. so sick of this snow and really experiencing the winter blues hope you have time to do things in montreal. i went there for a bachelor party and had a great time. enjoy!!

Rudustin
02-12-2014, 09:07 PM
last time it snowed it turned my 45 min ride home from work into 5.5 hrs people in the city have no idea how to drive. im wondering if it is even worth it for me to go in tomorrow. hey rudustin...i have a house in tier verde fl im thinking about taking a long weekend and going there in a couple of weeks. i cant remember the last time it was above freezing here in ny. and whats worse is that i have to work outside most of the time. so sick of this snow and really experiencing the winter blues hope you have time to do things in montreal. i went there for a bachelor party and had a great time. enjoy!!
Hey Kid, I have a lot of friends in NY/NJ. They are miserable with the cold and the snow! It has been a terrible winter up your way. It has been a glorious winter here in South Florida. If you come down here PM me and let me know. Come over and see my discus if I'm around. Stay warm and I would go in tomorrow if I were you.

STHH
02-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Just dump all your unwanted snow in the equator. We will build a theme park here.

dadecountyalan
02-12-2014, 10:17 PM
81 degrees in MIAMI right now :)

Rudustin
02-12-2014, 11:02 PM
81 degrees in MIAMI right now :) Well not right now. A storm just blew in here on the bay in Miami Beach and I thought it was a hurricane.

treemanone2003
02-13-2014, 12:11 AM
26° here in CT but windchill is 17°. I'm good with it though. Plow is on the truck and tank is full. GF's work cancelled tomorrow so she has the dogs, hamster, and a 50 % WC on both tanks. Last report is 8"-14". All local schools are closed. Hopefully everyone will stay home and not be in the way when I MUST be out. Stay safe folks. If you need to be out, bring some bottled water and a few blankets just in case. Also an "emergency flag" (red sheet or pillow case etc)to close in your door just in case you get stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlennR
02-13-2014, 01:03 AM
We've had a lot of very cold days here, but no big snows this winter. I'm looking forward to riding my ATVs on the snowy mountain trails. It's a lot of fun and very beautiful. I'll post some pics.

Most folks have a 4wd here, so driving isn't too crazy.

jsalas623
02-13-2014, 02:28 AM
LOL that was funny! From an Arizonan I guess we are pretty lucky well til it hits 110 degrees that is.

Discus-n00b
02-13-2014, 03:48 AM
LOL that was funny! From an Arizonan I guess we are pretty lucky well til it hits 110 degrees that is.

Dry heat. ;) haha

Bobbyrazz
02-13-2014, 04:34 AM
This made me chuckle, very typical brit behaviour lol

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

dadecountyalan
02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Well not right now. A storm just blew in here on the bay in Miami Beach and I thought it was a hurricane.

man where you right!! i left my job last night and im like what the hell is happening! crazy storm yesterday.

Rudustin
02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
It was wicked!

treemanone2003
02-15-2014, 07:55 AM
That storm was hectic up here. My girl stayed home and did a 50% wc and played outside with the dogs while I was out making changes to some of the landscape (accidentally) due to the white out conditions at one point. Nowhere to put anymore now so off to truck it out of some places and make room for more coming today. Depending on who you listen to around here, it's either 1-3" 2-4" or 5-9". Awesome times !!

mmorris
02-15-2014, 01:57 PM
*%&%#@!*#$! That's for the last one.

#@%#$@!&%! That's for this one. :(

Madaboutdiscus
02-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Wow that is too funny. I never understood why everybody goes for bread and milk though. What the heck you gonna make with that crap? I'm in Kentucky we get moderate snow but more than the south and less than the north. Anything more than 6 inches and we shut down.

-Victoria

treemanone2003
02-17-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm SO fed up with snow now. I've grown up with it for 40 some odd years living in CT, except while serving in the Navy, and I can honestly say that this season cannot pass soon enough. With another system arriving early tomorrow and I'm sure at least a couple more in the future, not only is the body a bit achy but so is my rig.

And Victoria, I'm completely with you on the thought of bread and milk complex. But only for the mere thought that I would never benefit from it being at home as I am never there lol.

GlennR
02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Wow that is too funny. I never understood why everybody goes for bread and milk though. What the heck you gonna make with that crap? I'm in Kentucky we get moderate snow but more than the south and less than the north. Anything more than 6 inches and we shut down.

-Victoria

Yea, "bread & milk"...

In my book it's "Beer & Toilet Paper" that you don't want to run out of! ;)

Disgirl
02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
I always figure that people must be eating a whole lot of French Toast (made with bread, milk and eggs for those who don't know) during any kind of weather issue. Even with hurricanes where I live.
Barb

brewmaster15
02-26-2014, 09:45 AM
We've had snow on the ground now for so long that when we took the kids out for a drive this past weekend they got excited seeing a patch of green grass under someones tree.. New England is used to snow...but we are also used to the dang stuff melting in between storms! I'm really ready for spring. We actually planted a bunch of seeds on our window sills to "spring-a-fy" the house as my daughter says.

-al

Discus-n00b
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm ready for warm weather as well. I saw my snow for the year, now I'm done with it. Y'all hate snow but at least your weather is fairly consistent. Here it swings from a sunny 80 degree day to a 45 or less and rainy day in a day's time. Thats an example of today and yesterday btw. Its 43 and rainy today, was close to 80 with absolutely perfect skies yesterday. Its ridiculous. Bring on the summer. I'm ready for shorts full time and windows down in the car.

dadecountyalan
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM
i remember when i went to chicago to visit my bestfriend who was wrestling in college at the time. in those conditions, i wouldnt call it living, more like SURVIVING. man wasnt made to withstand that punishment LOL. it was COLD, BONE CHILLING COLD.

quick update its 84 in Miami right now ;)

brewmaster15
02-26-2014, 03:30 PM

quick update its 84 in Miami right now ;)

mild here... 28 F and sunny...bit of breeze taking the temp down to 20s. Funny weather actually...its been going from sunny to snow showers and back again the last few hours.:confused:

I'd much rather be soaking up some florida rays@!

-al

DiscusLoverJeff
02-26-2014, 03:55 PM
I am starting to feel like I will never see my grass anytime soon. More snow coming this weekend in Chicagoland. Last time we did see grass was last week of November.

Madaboutdiscus
02-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Yea, "bread & milk"...

In my book it's "Beer & Toilet Paper" that you don't want to run out of! ;)

Or as my boss says beer and chips lol. As Barb says maybe they're making french toast but that's assuming they have eggs. Maybe some bread pudding with milk? Lol.

-Victoria

zimmjeff
02-26-2014, 04:25 PM
I think that I'm starting to dislike all of you right now. I can stand on the snowbank and touch the roof without reaching over my head. Jeff

dirtyplants
02-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Think of it this way, the colder and more snow, the waters tables get renewed, and summer parasites are minimized, you don't need to worry about some of those pesky worms and things that tropical climates have to deal with. That makes snow and cold more tolerable and it never lasts.

Madaboutdiscus
02-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Thats true. We had Flu running rampant through the state. The extreme cold and snow have pretty much killed it off. I work at a doctors office and we were seeing 10 plus a week of the H1n1 flu virus. It was bad

-Victoria

brewmaster15
02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
This is the first winter in years I have used up all my firewood.. I burned thru 7 plus cords this winter so far.Thankfully I have a few pallets of biobricks in the garage as back up.

-al

Bill63SG
02-26-2014, 09:26 PM
I've also had it!Was a warm -12 when I left for work this morning.We are on track for the 3rd coldest winter in history around here.

Madaboutdiscus
02-26-2014, 09:42 PM
We beat our own record for consecutive days with snow on the ground. Last record set in 1900 and it was 9 days. We had a good 2 weeks of total snow. Just last week did we start to thaw some and now we've got a now again and snow this weekend too.

-Victoria

mmorris
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
I burned thru 7 plus cords this winter so far.
-al

7 plus cords?!!! I've used 4 cords already - much more than normal - and I heat exclusively with firewood. My house is smaller than yours though. I need to bring in some more but it's buried under a lot of snow. I have a fan sitting on the floor above the vent in the living room, pulling up the warm air from the basement. That helped heat the house a whole lot.

kid discus
02-26-2014, 11:38 PM
i took off this week because of two reasons. im going to DC tomorrow plus i wanted to do some work on my boat in the beginning of the week. it was way too cold to work on the boat so my week so far has been boring. seeing the snow this morning literally almost made me sick lol. on a side note....i noticed the tulips breaking through the ground today in the garden. BRING ON THE SPRING!!!!!!! winter is almost over and i will try not to complain about the heat this summer

treemanone2003
02-26-2014, 11:45 PM
This is the first winter in years I have used up all my firewood.. I burned thru 7 plus cords this winter so far.Thankfully I have a few pallets of biobricks in the garage as back up.

-al

Wish I was selling firewood to you brew !! Or trading for something else ;) ;).

brewmaster15
02-27-2014, 08:36 AM
7 plus cords?!!! I've used 4 cords already - much more than normal - and I heat exclusively with firewood. My house is smaller than yours though. I need to bring in some more but it's buried under a lot of snow. I have a fan sitting on the floor above the vent in the living room, pulling up the warm air from the basement. That helped heat the house a whole lot.

I'm running 2 wood stoves now Martha, one heats the upstairs and one heats the basement. The basement stove only runs at night so the pipes don't freeze.
Its our primary heat source also.

Wish I was selling firewood to you brew !! Or trading for something else . Hey who knows George ...maybe you can.:)

Ah love CT... nice balmy 6 F this morning, but no wind at least.:o

-al

terps
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
At least the cold weather is doing some good: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2014/02/26/stinkbugs-winter-cold-nation-insects-animals-science/

treemanone2003
02-27-2014, 10:14 AM
"Hey who knows George ...maybe you can.:) "

Lol. It would be one long a$$ ride for sure. With that quantity I'd probably need to invest in a tri-axle dump. I don't know anyone in your area but hope you have someone that's more wholesale than retail for that quantity. I usually do about 150-175 cords of regular size and then another 30-40 cut to length smaller stove wood. As you know first hand this is another bitter winter and by now I'm usually done delivering. Not yet. (sigh)

mmorris
02-27-2014, 01:01 PM
More snow due Monday! Fingers crossed it's another snow day. :)

treemanone2003
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
mmorris, I'm following the same forecasts as you and my snowplow is not happy !! :( it looks about a 2 hr ride north-northeast to your area so the totals should be not far off between us.

mmorris
02-27-2014, 11:10 PM
My snowplow has a pulled muscle and can't do it. :(

I have an informal arrangement with the man across the street; he plows me out after every snowfall, and I take care of his fish and dog when he is away on vacation in the summer.

treemanone2003
02-27-2014, 11:35 PM
My snowplow has a pulled muscle and can't do it. :(

I have an informal arrangement with the man across the street; he plows me out after every snowfall, and I take care of his fish and dog when he is away on vacation in the summer.

Ha ha ha !!! A pulled muscle. That's pretty good. And it sounds like one hell of a trade off with you getting the better side of the deal.

mmorris
02-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Ha ha ha !!! A pulled muscle. That's pretty good. And it sounds like one hell of a trade off with you getting the better side of the deal.

Yes, I think I am getting the better part of the deal. He looks pretty miserable now, though, limping around. Poor man. Every couple of weeks I put an egg carton in my mailbox with a couple of bucks and he fills it with eggs. I have nice neighbors. :)

treemanone2003
02-28-2014, 01:33 AM
Yes, I think I am getting the better part of the deal. He looks pretty miserable now, though, limping around. Poor man. Every couple of weeks I put an egg carton in my mailbox with a couple of bucks and he fills it with eggs. I have nice neighbors. :)

Minus putting some eggs in anyone's mailbox around here I'd have to say I probably look about as good (or bad) as he does lol. And since they won't say what's coming but every other social media site has the following pic, I'm no more happier than the next guy. Ugh !!! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/28/vyru7apa.jpg

mmorris
02-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Snow day, coming up! I don't like it when there's just enough snow to make driving risky but not enough to close the college.

terps
02-28-2014, 11:30 AM
There could be an even bigger snow storm hitting the east coast after the Monday storm. Try to get some bird seeds from the stores to feed all the wild birds after the storms. They've had a difficult winter with all the cold and snow.

http://www.examiner.com/article/two-winter-storms-for-first-week-of-march

brewmaster15
02-28-2014, 11:34 AM
There could be an even bigger snow storm hitting the east coast after the Monday storm. Try to get some bird seeds from the stores to feed all the wild birds after the storms. They've had a difficult winter with all the cold and snow.

http://www.examiner.com/article/two-winter-storms-for-first-week-of-march agree there on the seed Terps... this winter has been terrible for the birds. hey don't know if you or others do this, but if you get a big bag of the small seeds and cracked grains... It makes an excellent "sand" for icy paths and walkways... its all natural and feeds the wildlife at the same time. I've been using it here alot the last few years.
-al

treemanone2003
02-28-2014, 02:53 PM
agree there on the seed Terps... this winter has been terrible for the birds. hey don't know if you or others do this, but if you get a big bag of the small seeds and cracked grains... It makes an excellent "sand" for icy paths and walkways... its all natural and feeds the wildlife at the same time. I've been using it here alot the last few years.
-al

Never ever before did I hear something as clever as that brew. You rock for sure !!

Madaboutdiscus
02-28-2014, 02:59 PM
More snow and ice this weekend...ugh when does it end?!

-Victoria

brady
02-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Martha, let worry less about the wood pile and start working on getting your guys and girls going again.lol
It's been tough, no doubt about it. Instead of wood you should look into a product called envi block. !00% hardwood .Best thing I ever did. Store them in your basement, no more trips to the wood pile, hardly any ash, cleaner and imo much more efficient.
Jay

mmorris
02-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Martha, let worry less about the wood pile and start working on getting your guys and girls going again.lol
It's been tough, no doubt about it. Instead of wood you should look into a product called envi block. !00% hardwood .Best thing I ever did. Store them in your basement, no more trips to the wood pile, hardly any ash, cleaner and imo much more efficient.
Jay

New fry from a new pair! :) How much are the envi blocks? I've been paying $150 a cord for green oak, cut, split, delivered and stacked. I buy a year in advance. It's going up to $175, unfortunately, but I will still heat pretty cheaply, I think.

CobaltBerry
02-28-2014, 10:11 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0Rz23iTWXMM/UxFBhkzdAMI/AAAAAAAAA44/GPTcrirWRN4/w349-h194-no/download5.jpeg

People need to be careful how the phrase work emails :D

treemanone2003
03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
New fry from a new pair! :) How much are the envi blocks? I've been paying $150 a cord for green oak, cut, split, delivered and stacked. I buy a year in advance. It's going up to $175, unfortunately, but I will still heat pretty cheaply, I think.

That sounds like a really awesome price for wood in your area. I couldn't come close to that where I am.

mmorris
03-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Yes, I think so. The trick is finding someone reliable and trustworthy who is selling it green. It's a great price but I have to pay for my winter heat a year in advance. Seasoned hardwood is around $230, I think. What are you paying?

treemanone2003
03-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Holy cow about paying in advance !! Reliability and trustworthiness is key. I'm actually on the other side here. I'm selling. It's all mixed in as well.
Seasoned is
1/2 cord $150
Full is $250
Green is
1/2 for $100 and
Full is $200. Cut to length stove wood is another $50 in each bracket and stacking is $50 and $100 respectively. I manage to sell around 175-200 cords total per year. Spring till first snow is trees 4-5 days and the other two I take a break and cut grass for a buddy of mine.

terps
03-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Get ready cause here it comes! I'd rather get a foot of snow than lots of ice. Freezing rain sucks. Could see sub zero temperatures after the storm too. Brrrrrrrr! Time to get milk and bread and vodka, whiskey and rum.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/longduration-snow-awaits-midwe/23778975

twocat
03-02-2014, 11:25 AM
here comes the snow....again and again, and again.......

brady
03-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Hi Martha
I pay 265/ton which is equal approx to about a 1 and 1/4- 1/2 cords. I buy it in the summer when he reduces his prices, right now he's at 310$. If you bought it at 265$ you would be paying about 250$ give or take.
Your getting a very good price, BUT, using this product has many advantages that are hard to quantify monetarily . Such as cleaner burning ash tray wise and chimney wise, no more going out to the wood pile in the snow,and no more dealing with wood sellers. Just easier all around.
Jay

mmorris
03-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks for that, Jay. It's worth looking into!

brewmaster15
03-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Hi Martha
I pay 265/ton which is equal approx to about a 1 and 1/4- 1/2 cords. I buy it in the summer when he reduces his prices, right now he's at 310$. If you bought it at 265$ you would be paying about 250$ give or take.
Your getting a very good price, BUT, using this product has many advantages that are hard to quantify monetarily . Such as cleaner burning ash tray wise and chimney wise, no more going out to the wood pile in the snow,and no more dealing with wood sellers. Just easier all around.
Jay

Jay's right on the overall considerations.. The compressed hardwood blocks have a lot of positives. I use both cord wood and blocks here, often during the same burn..... I prefer the "biobrick" brand. Aside from what Jay mention... many sellers of firewood don't sell a true cord... and then when they sell a cord, it varies in the actual amount you get. Buy a ton of Biobricks or other blocks and you get a ton..period. Seems like a lot on the surface, but you in many cases you get more for your money . In a woodstove that has excellent air control you will find the compressed wood products to burn much more efficiently than cordwood.

I was blessed the last 2 years with a bud that cut trees as a part time job...but had no place to store the wood, so he gave it to me when ever the homeowner did not want it. He doesn't cut trees anymore...so this year I will be hitting up craigslist for the free wood...and actually half hoping we get a few storms that take out a few trees here and there.

terps
03-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Looks like Northern VA and DC will get the heaviest band of snow. Northern and Central MD about 3 to 6 inches. My prayers were answered. Didn't want another foot or more again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbb3631ew_4

I only fell twice this winter. Time to think of spring. Might start planting some tomato seeds and vegetable seeds inside today. Don't forget to feed the birds!

Madaboutdiscus
03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
And here it is. Inch of ice with about 3 inches of snow on top and still snowing.

-Victoria

Madaboutdiscus
03-03-2014, 09:52 AM

-Victoria

terps
03-03-2014, 10:01 AM
I wish I had one of these over the years. It beats a chainsaw, maul and wedges when splitting wood. 10 cords an hour. That's production!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eengn9eNQw

Then again, 80 to 100 grand buys you a lot of wood.

Here's another wood processor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjbLZzTlbk8

Very cool.

treemanone2003
03-03-2014, 10:50 AM
I wish I had one of these over the years. It beats a chainsaw, maul and wedges when splitting wood. 10 cords an hour. That's production!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eengn9eNQw

Then again, 80 to 100 grand buys you a lot of wood.

Here's another wood processor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjbLZzTlbk8

Very cool.

$80-$100 is a ton of cash and that's just for the processor. Now get a decent used skid steer that doesn't leak all over the place to load the log length wood for ya. Another $20-$30 grand. And don't forget it's all gotta be fairly straight wood too.

I run a Timberwolf TW-5 with a log lift and 6 way for all large diameter wood and feed it to a Supersplitter. Then into a conveyor and away it goes into the pile. Next year if things go well I'm looking at adding this attachment to my machine. http://youtu.be/KdXzaGFkWfU

treemanone2003
03-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Jay's right on the overall considerations.. The compressed hardwood blocks have a lot of positives. I use both cord wood and blocks here, often during the same burn..... I prefer the "biobrick" brand. Aside from what Jay mention... many sellers of firewood don't sell a true cord... and then when they sell a cord, it varies in the actual amount you get. Buy a ton of Biobricks or other blocks and you get a ton..period. Seems like a lot on the surface, but you in many cases you get more for your money . In a woodstove that has excellent air control you will find the compressed wood products to burn much more efficiently than cordwood.

I was blessed the last 2 years with a bud that cut trees as a part time job...but had no place to store the wood, so he gave it to me when ever the homeowner did not want it. He doesn't cut trees anymore...so this year I will be hitting up craigslist for the free wood...and actually half hoping we get a few storms that take out a few trees here and there.

That's very true about sellers not selling the actual amount as advertised. Or selling green wood that is nowhere near ready to burn. Unfortunately, there is no regulatory commission in place for this in Ct anyway. A friend of mine and I made an approach to weights and measures but they had no time for small business aspect. Their only concern is products sold along side grocery items and cleanliness from bugs.

Al, being in the industry, a quick tip. Save yourself from CL. If you don't have a truck it's a PITA. Even if you do, it's still your time and fuel etc. Call two local tree companies that do and/or don't advertise firewood. Let them know if they're in your area and it'll save them 20 or 30 mins in traffic and fuel you'd be open to them dropping it at your place. A handshake and a few bucks to the driver will keep you stocked for a very long time. If I'm ever up that way for tree work I know I'll be dropping it off !!
-George

kid discus
03-03-2014, 10:08 PM
im pretty sure mother nature forgot about us this year. the news just said it will be 10 below tonight. this is the time of year that i get alot of phone calls to install landscape lighting or electrical service upgrades but i keep putting it off. lol

brewmaster15
03-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Finally starting to warm up a bit here in CT, snows almost melted and we hit 50 F today. I so want to have a nice steak grilled over my back yard Firepit. Its more windy than I like but I think thats whats on the menu tonight... a nice london broil over an open out fire...Its been way too long!!!

-al

zimmjeff
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
We just got 8 inches of wet heavy snow last night. That is on top of the 18 inches last week. Maine sucks. Jeff

brewmaster15
03-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Sorry Jeff!

Fires roaring here...ready in an hour for some steaks...

-al

brewmaster15
03-20-2014, 06:36 PM
OH YEah!!! First flame kissed steak of the year here!! Now I feel like Spring is here...

al

Second Hand Pat
03-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Yum and a bit rare. Just like I like it. Be right over Al. :D
Pat

treemanone2003
03-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Nice job Al !!! I can't compete with those pics as I forgot to snap a pic of my steak last night. But I did get a nice shot of my brand new knives I've always longed for. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/21/u2unu4ag.jpg

terps
03-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Don't put the snow shovels away yet. Next Tues/Weds could be another big snow maker for the northeast.

https://www.facebook.com/54875673475/photos/a.472052198475.261315.54875673475/10152256346623476/?type=1&theater

brewmaster15
03-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Don't put the snow shovels away yet. Next Tues/Weds could be another big snow maker for the northeast.

https://www.facebook.com/54875673475/photos/a.472052198475.261315.54875673475/10152256346623476/?type=1&theater

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brewmaster15
03-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Nice job Al !!! I can't compete with those pics as I forgot to snap a pic of my steak last night. But I did get a nice shot of my brand new knives I've always longed for. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/21/u2unu4ag.jpg

George, those are great knives, I would not mind some at all! I have a Henkel thats my premo blade... Its been a great Knife for me the last few years, holds an edge beautifully!

-al

Trier20
03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
I prefer the Japanese blades as they are thinner and more balanced. I recently forked out a bit over $150 for a high carbon blade with a rose wood handle. Knife is sooooo sharp!

-Brandon

brewmaster15
03-21-2014, 02:15 PM
I prefer the Japanese blades as they are thinner and more balanced. I recently forked out a bit over $150 for a high carbon blade with a rose wood handle. Knife is sooooo sharp!

-Brandon

yeah.. I like the Japanese blades too... but mine a tad big for steak...:)

Trier20
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Or maybe your steaks aren't big enough ;) lol

-Brandon

brewmaster15
03-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Lol...

treemanone2003
03-22-2014, 12:12 AM
George, those are great knives, I would not mind some at all! I have a Henkel thats my premo blade... Its been a great Knife for me the last few years, holds an edge beautifully!

-al

Thanks Al. Henkel makes a fabulous blade as well but after using a Wusthof of my brothers, I fell in love. My girl found an amazing steal the last week and surprised me with a block and set of 16 knives and scissors and sharpener for $200. The engraving is only on the chefs blade which MSRP is $149 alone. WOW !!

treemanone2003
03-22-2014, 12:13 AM

I don't know if I could eat a steak that large in one sitting lol.

dirtyplants
03-22-2014, 02:37 PM
One of my former hats I apprenticed with an artisan blade maker, folded steel thousands and thousands of times, hammered and forged into distinct patterns, blades hard enough to bite steel yet flexible enough not to shatter and can be sharpened to a fine edge and hold its edge. Old world stuff. Another life time for me.

terps
03-23-2014, 09:13 AM
The storm is coming. The question is which track it will take. Right now, the storm appears it will be further out to sea. So most will miss the heavy snow(6 inches or more). Coastal areas like Boston might get 6 inches plus.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snowstorm-threatens-east-next-week/24695582

Watch the video on the link above. It's very interesting talking about the forecast models.