PDA

View Full Version : Moving Discus from grow out tank to display tank

MrsIHguy
02-17-2014, 02:12 PM
I have two different groups of discus (from different breeders) I've been growing out in separate bare bottom 40gl breeders. My original plan was to keep these guys growing for a year and at least 6 inches in size, with 50% WC daily and 4-5 feedings per day. Then move them to my 120 FB, currently housing 2 dozen Rummynose, 4 Rams and 4 bushynose pleco. The display tank is lightly decorated with some driftwood and some cichlid stones, which the rams and bushynose have been living in happily for 10 months now.

One of my grow out tanks started to leak and I had to move those Discus to the display tank earlier than planned. The group I moved is a group of 3 (originally 4 but lost one right away) I've had them for 10 months, range in size between 4.5 - 6 inches.

I was hoping they would have settled in better than they have (it's been 8 days), they seem overwhelmed in the bigger space and have become quite shy. They are still eating but not at well as before, and they are exploring some but hide more than they should be. I am aware that a group of 3 is not the best situation, an option would be to move a larger Discus from my other group to join them.

My second group is a group of 5 I have had them for 7 months, ranging in size from 3 - 4 inches and one lone discus at 5.5 inches. So the question is do I stick to my original plan and keep the second group of 5 in together and let them finish growing until I hit the one year 6 inch mark. Or do I move the larger discus sooner to help my other group feel more comfortable so I would then have 2 groups of 4?????

MrsIHguy
02-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Anyone have input?

Chee_dog
02-21-2014, 12:08 AM
I'd stick with the original plan, if your tank is leaking put them in the display tank in the meanwhile till you get another tank. I prefer to keep similar size discus together to avoid bullying and less stress. Where about are you in MN and are you on Mnfish too?

DiscusLoverJeff
02-21-2014, 08:14 AM
I am thinking you should put them all together in the 120. Trying to grow out discus to 6" in a 40 breeder is very difficult to do and congested. The size difference is not that bad between the two groups. . Having 3 in one big tank is not a good idea. Put them all together and see what happens. The more in the tank, the better they will get adjusted. And 8 discus in a 120 is perfect.

MrsIHguy
02-21-2014, 03:42 PM
I'd stick with the original plan, if your tank is leaking put them in the display tank in the meanwhile till you get another tank. I prefer to keep similar size discus together to avoid bullying and less stress. Where about are you in MN and are you on Mnfish too?

I have seen my smallest juvies get chased to the corner of the grow out tank during feeding time. Once the bigger ones are full the little guys sneak back in and eat. Yes... I am on Minnfish as well, I am in Hastings, MN

MrsIHguy
02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
I am thinking you should put them all together in the 120. Trying to grow out discus to 6" in a 40 breeder is very difficult to do and congested. The size difference is not that bad between the two groups. . Having 3 in one big tank is not a good idea. Put them all together and see what happens. The more in the tank, the better they will get adjusted. And 8 discus in a 120 is perfect.

I do agree that the 40 breeder is starting to get a bit cramped, it had plenty roomy when they were all 2 - 2.5 inches! I think I will move the largest ones to the 120 tonight and leave the 3 smallest ones in the 40 to try and put some more size on them. They do get chased away at feeding time until the others are full, that way the 120 will be up to 5 right away.

My goal is to keep that group of 8 together in the 120.

Thanks for the comments, sometimes I think I know what to do but it always helps to have a little help from others who have been there!! ;)