PDA

View Full Version : This is horrible, should I feel guilty??

Tankster
02-17-2014, 11:20 PM
My wife has been having major issues with dry skin, rashes, and itching. She has decided we need a whole house filtration system and the FIRST thing that came to my mind? "What would be best for Discus?", not what would be best for my wife's skin and hair. I'm feeling a little guilty.

So, if we're going to fix my wife's skin issues, why not make sure it's good for the fishes too?

I've read through Water Works extensively and have seen no definitive opinion on the best whole house filtration for Discus.

To my question: if you had $3,000 + to spend an a whole house filtration system and you were purchasing with your Discus as a primary consideration, what system would you select, and possibly more importantly, what would you stay away from?

Thanks so much for reading!

blueluv
02-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Maybe a little guilty! Lol!:)
Maybe a water softener for you house? Although it might not be the best for discus. I could be wrong on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeauxDiscus
02-17-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm certainly no water expert, but I know from listening to people on this forum that you should not use 100% reverse osmosis water, unless maybe you are adding minerals. But I think it's tricky at best. What I'm saying is that if you treat the whole house, you may need an alternate source of water to mix with your house water. I'm sure someone else who is better acquainted with this topic will chime in. Just wanted you to be careful before you jump into that decision.

Len
02-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Before you go spending that kind of money for a filter system, maybe it would be in your wife's best interest to see a doctor or dermatologist. Why is the water the first thought?

blueluv
02-17-2014, 11:50 PM
My wife has been having major issues with dry skin, rashes, and itching. She has decided we need a whole house filtration system and the FIRST thing that came to my mind? "What would be best for Discus?", not what would be best for my wife's skin and hair. I'm feeling a little guilty.

So, if we're going to fix my wife's skin issues, why not make sure it's good for the fishes too?

I've read through Water Works extensively and have seen no definitive opinion on the best whole house filtration for Discus.

To my question: if you had $3,000 + to spend an a whole house filtration system and you were purchasing with your Discus as a primary consideration, what system would you select, and possibly more importantly, what would you stay away from?

Thanks so much for reading!

Have considered, that it might be the detergent , amongst other possibilities.

I still say a water softener system for your house , would be the way to go.

blueluv
02-17-2014, 11:51 PM
I'm certainly no water expert, but I know from listening to people on this forum that you should not use 100% reverse osmosis water, unless maybe you are adding minerals. But I think it's tricky at best. What I'm saying is that if you treat the whole house, you may need an alternate source of water to mix with your house water. I'm sure someone else who is better acquainted with this topic will chime in. Just wanted you to be careful before you jump into that decision.

No need for an RO system. I don't think her drinking the water is the cause if her skin issue.

SMB2
02-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Dry skin/itching in the winter is one thing, but rashes?
Agree with Len, you should be able to see a Dermatologist for less than $3000! Might save you some money.

Len
02-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Folks, honestly. To give advice on a topic like this is for a doctor NOT AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS. Tankster, do your wife and yourself a favour and seek the advice of someone who knows what they are talking about. There could be any number of things causing dry, rashed or itchy skin -- bath soap, laundry soap, something she is eating even. Point being there isn't anybody here that I'm aware of who is qualified to speak to this and it is extremely irresponsible for anyone to offer advice. A doctor wouldn't even do this without seeing her.

Len
02-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Dry skin/itching in the winter is one thing, but rashes?
Agree with Len, you should be able to see a Dermatologist for less than $3000! Might save you some money.

I know right? Imagine spending that kind of money on a water softener for the whole home only to find out it doesn't resolve the original problem AND WAIT ..... now your water isn't especially good for your fish either now because the newly softened water has a high salt content.

Tankster
02-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Len, I would go even farther to say this posts question was not about fixing my wife's skin but rather, what is the best whole house filtration system for Discus.

Folks, honestly. To give advice on a topic like this is for a doctor NOT AQUARIUM HOBBYISTS. Tankster, do your wife and yourself a favour and seek the advice of someone who knows what they are talking about. There could be any number of things causing dry, rashed or itchy skin -- bath soap, laundry soap, something she is eating even. Point being there isn't anybody here that I'm aware of who is qualified to speak to this and it is extremely irresponsible for anyone to offer advice. A doctor wouldn't even do this without seeing her.

Tankster
02-18-2014, 12:07 AM
I think I've seen some saltless softeners out there from Pelican, Culligan, and others.
My wife is getting a whole house system... done deal, I just want to make sure it is compatible with Discus.

Can we focus on that?

I know right? Imagine spending that kind of money on a water softener for the whole home only to find out it doesn't resolve the original problem AND WAIT ..... now your water isn't especially good for your fish either now because the newly softened water has a high salt content.

Len
02-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Then why mention your wife's skin and bring it into the equation? To answer that though a whole house filter and a filter for your discus are not the same thing. A whole house filter isn't going to give you anything good for the fish, and a system designed for whats best for the fish isn't going to be good for the rest of the house (at least not at a reasonable cost). Maybe deal with the issues separately. For the fish, you could consider an HMA filter (basically an RO unit minus the membrane). I the water is too hard, then add the membrane and use RO. Other than that, what is wrong with your water in terms of the fish? Without knowing what water you're starting with and what your goal is, it's all just speculation.

blueluv
02-18-2014, 12:16 AM

I was only trying to be helpful in some way. I was answering in the way op posted.

Thanks for calling me out and making me feel dumb.

I apologize tankster,for this post. It's your post , didn't mean to gear it of course.

Keith Perkins
02-18-2014, 12:16 AM
There are several people on the forum that have experience with bigger filtration systems that come to mind who might be able to help. Hans comes to mind, but his equipment obviously is over the top. Paul Butler (pcsb23) would probably be the first person I would ask.

nc0gnet0
02-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Probably do better with a whole house humidifier, at least if this is a seasonal issue. You could just add alot more tanks, that should raise the humidity.

Rudustin
02-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Before you go spending that kind of money for a filter system, maybe it would be in your wife's best interest to see a doctor or dermatologist. Why is the water the first thought?I agree with this statement. Many skin disorders are from things that one puts into the water such as detergents, shampoos and many other things. I agree with Pat's suggestion that a dermatologist should be seen before you even think about the filtering system. Have you had the water tested? I am very allergic to some detergents and have to be very careful that clothes washed in certain ones don't cause my skin to shred. Also fabrics with latex in them are very hurtful to skin. Hope that helps. The water that discus need is not that difficult to attain. For humans I think it may be a little more difficult.

Len
02-18-2014, 12:21 AM
I was only trying to be helpful in some way. I was answering in the way op posted.

Thanks for calling me out and making me feel dumb.

I apologize tankster,for this post. It's your post , didn't mean to gear it of course.

Not trying to call anyone out or make you feel dumb. It's just very hazardous to suggest something like that for a human without knowing what the problem is. If they want to buy a whole home filter on their own then that's fine but we also don't want to be in a position where a suggestion from the forum were to make matters worse. I hope they do find a solution that works out for all aspects, I just thing there are better places to get an appropriate answer in this case.

Tankster
02-18-2014, 12:21 AM
Then why mention your wife's skin and bring it into the equation?

Because every post about a whole house filter gets treated this way. "Why waste your money on a whole house filter when your going to flush it down the toilet"' "why not just do an RO for the tank".

My wife's desire to get a whole house system for her skin, pure drinking water, and overall general health is the impetus for the whole house filtration, hence I included it in the conversation.

We are getting a whole house system and I want to make sure we are selecting one that is compatible with keeping discus. At the very least, one that will require the least amount of water amendment, after treatment, to bring it in line with keeping happy healthy fish.

joanstone
02-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Have you had your water tested at all? Seems like you'd base your decisions on what is actually in your water so you know what if anything you need to remove. For example, the water that we have in the place we're working on in Maine has very high iron and manganese levels, but everything else is fine. We'll address that with a specific air-driven filter called a Centurion Filter System.

Keith Perkins
02-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Probably do better with a whole house humidifier, at least if this is a seasonal issue. You could just add alot more tanks, that should raise the humidity.

If he shouldn't have felt guilty before... :)

Len
02-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Because every post about a whole house filter gets treated this way. "Why waste your money on a whole house filter when your going to flush it down the toilet"' "why not just do an RO for the tank".

My wife's desire to get a whole house system for her skin, pure drinking water, and overall general health is the impetus for the whole house filtration, hence I included it in the conversation.

We are getting a whole house system and I want to make sure we are selecting one that is compatible with keeping discus. At the very least, one that will require the least amount of water amendment, after treatment, to bring it in line with keeping happy healthy fish.

That's fair enough. What is the whole house filter going to do? Are your trying to remove chlorine/chloramine or iron or lime or ..... ? There are many different kinds of "whole house filters". If you provide details of what water conditions you are starting with it will give a better understanding of what will help you achieve your desired result.

Tankster
02-18-2014, 01:31 AM
If you provide details of what water conditions you are starting with it will give a better understanding of what will help you achieve your desired result.

pH 7 tap / pH 8.1 aged 24hrs
GH 120 mg/L ppm
KH 80 mg/L ppm
Ca 60 mg/L ppm
PO 2.5
Fe 0 (non-chelated)
Fe 0 (chelated)
Test from our local plumber
TDS 254
10 grams hard

and the report from my local water company. We are on a community well.
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t603/gregroper/chart_zps722b9006.png (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/gregroper/media/chart_zps722b9006.png.html)

Tankster
02-18-2014, 01:33 AM

No problem. I don't think it was out of line at all.

Len
02-18-2014, 01:53 AM
You may consider a sediment filter and carbon block. For your whole house, you'd probably want to use a 4 inch housing with large port size. Depending how much water you go through, though, you may end up replacing media fairly often. If you speak to Buckeye Hydro, they will ask you all of the pertinent details about flow rate and pressure and help you put together a system customized for your needs. Larry put me onto them and in my case I just put the sediment filter and carbon block inline with my cold water tap in the kitchen (before the tap) and it removes any traces of chlorine and I can fill the tanks right from tap and not have to use extra stuff to dechlor the water. The added benefit is the water tastes great.

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/max-flow-housings/ (filter housing)
http://www.buckeyehydro.com/1-micron-depth-cartridge/ (sediment filter)
http://www.buckeyehydro.com/chloraguard-chloramine-carbon-block/ (carbon block)

Hope that helps for the fish part at least.

jaykne
02-18-2014, 02:15 AM
I would not recommend it for a whole house filter the chlorine in your water keeps bacteria from building up in your house pipes, I am sure they will explain that to you if you call Buckeye.
What Len does works great for your fish and yes is good drinking water, but I would install the filter just before the tap.

Second Hand Pat
02-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Greg, if you guys are just concerned about cooking and drinking water a simple RO unit with a two gallon tank installed under the cabinet might fit those needs.

Allwin
02-18-2014, 01:20 PM
+1

I personally had that issue some years back :) after several days of discomfort, fianally visited the Dr. After few hours of my complete history. I was advised not to use detergents with fragrance and advised me to use detergents recommended by dermatologist. And also to consume more vitamin D(sun light). Miracle, the same day i change the detergent and all my issues are gone :D. My few cents.

I agree with this statement. Many skin disorders are from things that one puts into the water such as detergents, shampoos and many other things. I agree with Pat's suggestion that a dermatologist should be seen before you even think about the filtering system. Have you had the water tested? I am very allergic to some detergents and have to be very careful that clothes washed in certain ones don't cause my skin to shred. Also fabrics with latex in them are very hurtful to skin. Hope that helps. The water that discus need is not that difficult to attain. For humans I think it may be a little more difficult.

SMB2
02-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Sorry Greg, as a "novice" discus keeper and a doctor (not so novice after 35 years), I should have kept to just the discus issues! Of course your original post asks for marital, medical and water quality advice!!!

We have a Pelican Carbon whole house system, it does not soften the water but I have been impressed with the quality of the product and the company service, so I would think their other products are reasonable.

Cabe
02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
I would give my wife a salt dip. :D

OC Discus
02-18-2014, 04:32 PM
You are obviously trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, which is very smart.

You should only feel guilty if you put the fish before your wife.

I have a good friend whose son had issues with dry skin, severe, as you mentioned, and he has used a home water softener for years. The reason I know this is after about 12 years his unit failed and required service.

So, what should you do?

1) Consult with a dermatologist to determine what will best help your wife- options

2) Evaluate how that will affect your discus

3) Modify the supply going into the tank as needed, or keep a source not affected by the softener if it is bad for discus- a splitter before it goes into the softener.
Soft water should not be an issue unless it is pure RO. If it is pure RO, you can put a splitter before the unit and a tap for unfiltered water.

Pat_K
02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
If you are looking for an RO/DI system you could/should talk to these guys.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz

abuckley75
02-18-2014, 08:55 PM
This is what I got. Haven't gotten it hooked up yet so I can't give a review. You can fill the canisters with with whatever cartridges fit your needs. I got it here.

http://www.isopurewater.com/Isopure-Water-ISO-WH3-20B-Triple-Stage-20-Big-Blue-Boy-Whole-House-Filter_p_424.html

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/eqa7y3yd.jpg

Is my water chemistry right?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/11/ahadusud.jpg
Meep Meep

nc0gnet0
02-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Here is a dirty little secret on RO systems. They are all pretty much the same. :) Some have a few more buzzers and bells, but when it comes right down to it, you got a 5 micron sediment followed by a 1 micron carbon block, then the RO membrane canister. typically the ro membrame is a filmtec membrane in the 50-150 gpd range. I always get a chuckle when this or that person posts to get this unit or that unit.

Back to the OP needs.I would go with both a whole house water softner AND an Ro unit for both your fish and your drinking water. Use solar salt in the softner and run the RO unit (with a booster pump) after the softner.

Rick

Len
02-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Did you mean .5 micron sediment with 1 micron carbon block Rick. The folks at Buckeye said the sediment filter should be smaller in pore size or at least equal to that of the carbon block. As far as who to buy from though, I agree. Go with whoever is cheapest :)

nc0gnet0
02-18-2014, 10:59 PM
IME Len the sediment is always larger in or equal to the carbon block in terms of micron rating. Not saying that it would'nt work, but, not a very effective way to do things. Now, if you wanted to run a 5 micron then 1 micron sediment, then your carbon block filter, that would make more sense to me.

Len
02-18-2014, 11:04 PM
That's what I was going to order last time, but they told me the smaller sediment is to protect the carbon block from becoming clogged. The cost wasn't that much more so I just went with what they suggested. In my case I don't think there is too much sediment anyway because the filters aren't very discoloured when i replace them, it's just the flow rate drops drastically all of a sudden.

nc0gnet0
02-18-2014, 11:08 PM
it's just the flow rate drops drastically all of a sudden.

Yeah, I am not quite sure what they are thinking, you always want to first filter out the larger particals first, in a progression from larger to smaller. What they suggest would work, but your going to be replacing alot of sedeiment filters and losing water flow quicker.

YSS
02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
We have a Pelican Carbon whole house system, it does not soften the water but I have been impressed with the quality of the product and the company service, so I would think their other products are reasonable.

I am also considering a whole house system and looked at Pelicans. Looks to be a good option. Still deciding what to do.

donnacona
02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
If you say that the water softening system is a done deal and your worried about your water conditions being changed for your , just have whoever is installing the softener, install a line before the softener to supply water to take care of your discus this will eliminate the problems of messing up the water conditions your discus are use to. Then you continue the same as before.
You and your discus will both be happy.
AND REMEMBER HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE.