PDA

View Full Version : Is is worth waiting for NADA to stock a new tank?

adapted
02-18-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm just today beginning to cycle a couple of 75 gallon tanks... also have a pair of square 29's that will be going into service. I have zero fish now of any kind. Not interested in any non-Discus tank inhabitants.

My question is: Are there buying opportunities at the NADA meeting in Austin in June that would make it worthwile to wait until then to stock the tanks?

I have a budget of about a $1200 dollars for fish... my interest is mainly the wild strains, but any nice round fish would be of interest.

I had planned to buy adults, maybe even a half dozen of Han's larger Santarems or Alenquers.

I have had mixed results in the past buying discus fish sight unseen ..it would be a real luxury to be able to actually pick out a fish in person.

I would be driving home that day, about 11 hours, so it won't be that much easier on the fish than Fedex. (I'm going to be in San Antonio most of June... then driving home to Mississippi.)

Any thoughts from those who have been to NADA gatherings would be appreciated. (I just joined this week, FWIW.)

Skip
02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
LOL>>

if thats your budget.. you could be coming back with several fish.. NO problem!

John_Nicholson
02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
NADA is a unique opportunity to buy show quality fish at good prices. You also get to pick the ones you want. I have not bought any fish in a while but I will be doing so at NADA....so I guess for me I would say it is worth the wait.

-john

BODYDUB
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
$1200 fish fund!!!! You could buy a couple of show fish with that!!!!!!!!!

John_Nicholson
02-18-2014, 03:40 PM
He could buy several for that. While most are sold before the auction I did pickup up a couple at the auction for less than $100 each.

-john

$1200 fish fund!!!! You could buy a couple of show fish with that!!!!!!!!!

Skip
02-18-2014, 03:45 PM
He could buy several for that. While most are sold before the auction I did pickup up a couple at the auction for less than $100 each.

-john

ditto!

Larry Bugg
02-18-2014, 08:16 PM
I agree with John and Skip but in all fairness I should also add that your opportunities may be limited when it comes to actual Wild Discus. There will be Wilds in the Show but not nearly as many as the domestics.

musicmarn1
02-18-2014, 08:34 PM
wow …..less than $100 *droool* DONT tell my husband that !!! ugh i want show wilds too if i go there or blue scorpions since those are the fave in my tanks. most are sold before the auction? how does that work, what do we need to know to be ready to buy before the auction

OC Discus
02-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Show the money $$$ One hundred dollar bills.

I've heard you can look at the list of who is going and pm them to see if they are taking anything that will be sold. Work out a deal ahead of time.

Skip
02-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Show the money $$$ One hundred dollar bills.

I've heard you can look at the list of who is going and pm them to see if they are taking anything that will be sold. Work out a deal ahead of time.

It helps to know people. But there is no posted list.. but people it wont be hard to know who is going.. who is not.. lol

Discus-n00b
02-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Keep in mind a lot of the show fish are presold or sold within hours of arriving. So don't wait around if you do want them, try and work a deal. The auction I would guess is hit or miss. Depends on who brings what, and whats left over.

Skip
02-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Keep in mind a lot of the show fish are presold or sold within hours of arriving. So don't wait around if you do want them, try and work a deal. The auction I would guess is hit or miss. Depends on who brings what, and whats left over.

Some fish were sold right after it was put in tank . lol

Second Hand Pat
02-18-2014, 11:44 PM
I was surprised how fast fish were sold so if you see something you like, grab it if it is still available. Remember that not all the show fish are for sale.

Skip
02-18-2014, 11:55 PM
I was surprised how fast fish were sold so if you see something you like, grab it if it is still available. Remember that not all the show fish are for sale.

But u can stare in amazement for 3 days

Second Hand Pat
02-18-2014, 11:58 PM
But u can stare in amazement for 3 days

and you will too. :D

GeauxDiscus
02-19-2014, 12:06 AM
I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I keep telling myself that I'm not going to come home from Austin with any new discus.

I'm not going to come home from Austin with any new discus.
All work and no play... oh, sorry.

Skip
02-19-2014, 12:17 AM
I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I keep telling myself that I'm not going to come home from Austin with any new discus.

Don't worry.. someone else will..

musicmarn1
02-19-2014, 01:08 AM
awww Shane, my husband printed this out and put it on the fridge…….seriously

im now bummed ! :confused:

Skip
02-19-2014, 01:24 AM
LOL

John_Nicholson
02-19-2014, 09:54 AM
If ya'll don't buy the fish it just leaves more for me.......

-john

nc0gnet0
02-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Cash is king and high bidder goes home with the fish.......just sayin :)

Skip
02-19-2014, 10:15 AM

jus saying.. or just going.. this time? :)

nc0gnet0
02-19-2014, 10:16 AM
jus saying.. or just going.. this time?

I'll be there to check out the guppy's for sure! :p

-Rick

Skip
02-19-2014, 10:51 AM
I'll be there to check out the guppy's for sure! :p

-Rick

i will hook u up!

John_Nicholson
02-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Rick remember this is Texas......There is a Billy Joe Shaver song about playing cards and there is a verse that goes something like this.......

A guy has a royal flush and says read'em and weep boys this hand can't be beat...

Another guy says hold on it does not beat an Arkansas flush....

First says what is that....

The other guy replies.....a small pistol and any five cards.....

The translation.....don't make me shoot your ***......

-john

nc0gnet0
02-19-2014, 11:15 AM
And here I thought Discus people had knife fights........

John_Nicholson
02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
And here I thought Discus people had knife fights........

LOL....As someone that knows to what you are referring all I can say is thanks for making my day....

-john

OC Discus
02-19-2014, 11:43 AM
I've been wondering if yall ever have any fights at NADA. Is it like the Hotel California where people come but never leave?

John_Nicholson
02-19-2014, 11:56 AM
We have never had a fight.....

Ricks reference has to do with a deal 15 or so years ago.....It involved the Nile river.....LOL.

Man those were the days. One of the many inside stories that often get told at NADA.

-john

Skip
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM
I've been wondering if yall ever have any fights at NADA. Is it like the Hotel California where people come but never leave?

only if someone is asking about the SIZE of Fish in Judging..
or Dan getting thrown down to ground by josie..
OR.. when Larry's wife, (liaison between NADA and Hotel) found out the Bar was NOT going to be Open till 2am..

that was about it

OC Discus
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
:)

Discus-n00b
02-19-2014, 01:03 PM
It may be a more profitable venture to bet on Josie, both winning the fight and the fish! hahaha

Larry Bugg
02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
only if someone is asking about the SIZE of Fish in Judging..
or Dan getting thrown down to ground by josie..
OR.. when Larry's wife, (liaison between NADA and Hotel) found out the Bar was NOT going to be Open till 2am..

that was about it

LOL, she is a pistol. If it works out she will be with me in Austin. She isn't into discus but made some great friends and would like to be there.

GeauxDiscus
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
All this talk of aggressive women and alcohol is making me "enthusiastic" about June 22nd!

GeauxDiscus
02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
awww Shane, my husband printed this out and put it on the fridge…….seriously

im now bummed ! :confused:

SORRY!!! (That is kinda funny though. That's the kind of thing I would do to my wife.)