PDA

View Full Version : Forum cleanup and restructure

Ryan
02-21-2014, 02:00 PM
As mentioned last fall, we're working on tidying up the forum and making changes to areas that need a little work.

We have reorganized the layout of the forums a bit to focus on the three major areas that are of interest to most people here: discus-related topics, community outreach and involvement, and our marketplace.

We have also merged a few of the sub-forums together to keep it simple. For example, Generators and Air Systems each had their own sub-forums in the DIY section but they've all been consolidated into the Equipment sub-forum.

Here is a brief summary of the changes we've made:

- Moved "Tankmates For Discus" forum into the main discus topics area.
- Moved "Photo Gallery" into the main discus topics area and retitled it "Media Gallery" since most people do videos now as well.
- Moved "You Talking to Me?", our general chit-chat board for off-topic discussion, into the community area.

- Removed "Generators and Back-up Power" and "Air Systems," merging those threads into the Tanks and Equipment forum.
- Removed "For the Forum" and "Useful Links & Downloads," merging those threads into other appropriate areas of the forum.

- Combined "Filtration" and "Pumps and Plumbing" sections.
- Combined "Freshwater Invertebrates" and "Non-Discus Freshwater Fishes" sections.
- Combined "Marine Fish" and "Marine Invertebrates" sections.
- Renamed "Other Aquatic Critters" to "Other Pets" as a catch-all for any other pets that members wish to discuss.

We completely revamped the way the Community area was designed:

- Renamed "The Community" to "Member Introductions" and included all past Member Spotlights into a sub-forum here.
- Reorganized "Members by Location" to be in alphabetical order, allowing members to easily find threads to meet and connect with other hobbyists in their country/state/city.
- Combined "Local Clubs and Meetings" with "International Shows" to be an all-encompassing area for all Clubs, Meetings, Shows, and Conventions. NADA, NEDA, and the other clubs and associations who have forums here have been made into sub-forums of this section.

qiyanfeng
02-24-2014, 01:04 PM
With the recent changes, I am glad to see this is more a hobbist forum not a sponsor ads forum.

Keith Perkins
02-24-2014, 10:02 PM
:inquisitive: Wondering what this means. Maybe I'm around too much to have noticed something that's changed over time or something.

Larry Bugg
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
The only thing I noticed is the Homesteaders section is now listed before the Sponsors section.

sdrexler078
02-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Yeh I haven't noticed anything change since I've been on. But I have heard people say that before. I just never knew it to be true. I've always seen it as a hobbyist forum. And the best one at that

Keith Perkins
02-24-2014, 11:44 PM
The only thing I noticed is the Homesteaders section is now listed before the Sponsors section.

That's just because we now out number them so dramatically. :D

Len
02-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Ryan did a lot of work cleaning up and reorganizing the sections. Much cleaner looking and not so many subcategories to get lost in :)

livinginLOCO
03-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Thanks for cleaning it up!