PDA

View Full Version : Eggs with New Discus

32Bit_Fish
02-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi All,

Finally I'm back in discus keeping after a 10 year break. So I need to refresh my memory or have to start ask noob questions.

I bought two 5" discus on President's Day and I saw eggs on the tank wall today. I usually do 75% w/c every other day and they are currently in a 20G high tank.

Do I need to change the w/c routine because the eggs? And temp is 83F. I'm not sure they are a pair. So I may not need to worry about the eggs.

Thanks

John_Nicholson
02-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Personally I still do wc's when my pairs have eggs. Some people don't but it seems to be that the most important time to have clean water is when eggs/fry are developing.

-john

Allwin
02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
welcome back to this hobby :-)

Personally, I do a large wc at the time of hatching and don't feed the parents and also no wc until the wrigglers goes free swiming. Thereafter continue my routine wc..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

32Bit_Fish
02-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys. Is there a quick way to tell I really have a true pair? I do not recall seen any mating dance. So I guess I have to wait until either the eggs are all turned white or hatched in order to confirm the pair?

Larry Bugg
02-22-2014, 11:22 AM
You have to wait and see if they are fertile. Like John, I don't change my water change routine.

32Bit_Fish
02-22-2014, 03:07 PM
They ate all the eggs after a w/c this morning.

John_Nicholson
02-22-2014, 03:26 PM
It happens. Especially with young pairs. Patience is key.

-john

32Bit_Fish
02-22-2014, 03:46 PM
I hope I have a pair. But not sure how to take care the frys.

Here is the pic of the fish.

timmy82
02-22-2014, 05:33 PM
They look fairly young so may take some time. I don't change any water till after attachment it seems to have a higher sucess rate where I am. Still feed a small amount FDBW and when I start the water I use same aged water and temperature till about 3 - 5 day after attachment then slowly turn on the auto water.

John_Nicholson
02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
They look tiny. I hope they are young.

-john

I hope I have a pair. But not sure how to take care the frys.

Here is the pic of the fish.

John_Nicholson
02-22-2014, 06:43 PM
I got a question for the folks that do not think water quality matters when the fry are developing......How many spawns have you had over 200, 300, 400.....What would be your average cull rate for things like fins, short gill plates, and such. Also can ya 'll tell me why you do not think you need to change water when you have eggs. wigglers, and fresh free swimmers?

-john

32Bit_Fish
02-22-2014, 10:20 PM
they are 5". Well, I guess they are small compare to the ones in breeder's tank which get 100% w/c twice a day and being fed 6-8 times a day. But I do noticed they are getting skinny after being in my tank for 4 days. The eyes seem getting bigger. I'm not home from 7AM to 6:30PM. So I guess it's tough to raise nice fat discus.

du3ce
02-22-2014, 11:07 PM
sorry didnt want to start another thread but my discus laid eggs for 3 days now and eggs are turning:white and fuzzy does that mean that its going bad?

timmy82
02-23-2014, 12:40 AM
I got a question for the folks that do not think water quality matters when the fry are developing......How many spawns have you had over 200, 300, 400.....What would be your average cull rate for things like fins, short gill plates, and such. Also can ya 'll tell me why you do not think you need to change water when you have eggs. wigglers, and fresh free swimmers?

-john

I do belive water quality matters my pairs all get large good cleans and water prior to eggs and depending on the pair the spawn sizes range from 100 - 250. My tanks are all fully cycled and they all still get the waste cleaned and small amounts topped up. The normal changes for the pairs are 30 - 40% every second day over the 5 - 6 days till attached properly they would get around 40% with aged top up same temp ect. I found that I would get alot of egg eatting and fry eatting if there was too much water change involved in that period. The average cull is very minimal for example out of my Altum Flora pair they spawn week in week out if I get the fry off them, I can only remeber once seeing a short gill plate out of 300 - 400 odd fry from them and would be 5 with split dorsals. SW x RL spawn was small and nil out that whole spawn they went FS 15th Oct 2013 & when moved the other day largest was 4" as for the other 5 or so other pairs I can't remember any gill plate issues and in a percentage across the whole room I would say be lucky to be at 2%. I will get some up date pictures of my young on one of my threads in a while currently in process of moving and making a larger fish room at new place. Looking at 20 Breeder tanks 10 L pleco breeders and 60 odd grow tanks and some other fish pairs. Looking forward to your feed back when I get a thread started John.

Allwin
02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
lol john, just to maintain water quality. I dont feed the parents while wrigglers to free swimmers, since some wrigglers got scatter and parents didnt scoop it.. so its just no wc for 2days or very lil wc. And also no feeding = no/less poop = better water quality. Wish to get big spawns, but so far my best is around 140.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk