PDA

View Full Version : Initial feedings for Discus?

Nicolette
02-22-2014, 10:25 AM
I was wondering what people recommend for initial first week feedings for new sub adult-adult discus (I will be buying 5-6 for a cycled BB 55 g aquarium)? and how much food for each of their 2-3 feedings/day is recommended?

I have read they often don't eat well initially during QT - to feed them non-messy foods with lights off so they can take their time eating as they become comfortable with their new surroundings. I have also read not to feed them more then they will eat in 2-3 minutes. Suggestions?

John_Nicholson
02-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Do you know what the breeder was feeding them? Persoanlly I feed a beef heart mix.

-john

Larry Bugg
02-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't have any special food for QT. They get what everybody else gets. For me, 99% of the time, new arrivals will eat the following day. It does rarely happen that one won't eat for a period of time. You hear about it here because it is a problem and concern so the problem is amplified. I think if everyone who didn't have an issue posted when there wasn't a problem with them eating you would see that the problem isn't the norm.

OC Discus
02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Get some variety- a good flake or pellet that is enriched with vitamins and something green like spirulina. Cobalt Flakes, Bill's Super Beefheart Flakes. You'll probably get better health and growth by feeding the vitamin enriched foods as the staples and bloodworms and brine shrimp between meals because they lack vitamin and veggie. Look for high protein flake- over 50%. Adding the worms and shrimp also add protein.

dirtyplants
02-22-2014, 01:33 PM
The rule of thumb from what I have read is their stomach is about the size of their eyes, so that is about how much of what they will eat at a given time. There are very good foods from the sponsors on this forum, and many recipes for making beef heart, or different hearts, for fish food also on the forum. Can't really go wrong with them.

Nicolette
02-23-2014, 04:39 PM
John- I'm planning to order from Discus Hans so I'll ask him. thanks

OC Discus- I have read incredible reviews re: Bill's super BH flakes however at $50/1 pound (50% protein) vs. Ken's fish BH flakes at $8.75/1 pound (46% protein min) are they worth it? but yes, I will plan on feeding a variety of pellets, flakes, Al's freeze dried blackworms, bloodworms... thanks for your help!

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Nicolette, since you are ordering from Hans perhaps you should order some of Hans's BH mix.

Elliots
02-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Nicolette, I am not sure but I think Hans feeds his fish his own "For Sale" flake food. Certainly ask all feeding questions of Hans, I am sure he will happily answer. My only suggestion is feed your fish whatever you are going to feed them regularly. All foods have plus and minus aspects, you decide fou your fish.

Nicolette
02-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks you two! yes, I do plan to buy the Discus hans Cobalt flakes and will look into his beef heart mix too- great idea :)

timmy82
02-23-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't do anything too special for newby's, I mostlyfeed BH & FDBW nil dry feed for 1st week till they get feeding properly again.

OC Discus
02-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Nicolette,

I haven't tried other beefheart mixes. I posted a thread looking for the best one on the market- containing high protein and added vitamins and some algae. I started feeding it three times a day. After about three weeks I've noticed a huge improvement in my fish's appearance- they seem to be growing faster and looking rounder.. The only downside is my albino yellow is turning more orange. My fire red and blue pigeon are coloring up quickly using the food. Hans sells big flakes. Not sure if it is the same recipe as cobalt flakes.

John- I'm planning to order from Discus Hans so I'll ask him. thanks

OC Discus- I have read incredible reviews re: Bill's super BH flakes however at $50/1 pound (50% protein) vs. Ken's fish BH flakes at $8.75/1 pound (46% protein min) are they worth it? but yes, I will plan on feeding a variety of pellets, flakes, Al's freeze dried blackworms, bloodworms... thanks for your help!