PDA

View Full Version : need advice

donnacona
02-22-2014, 08:07 PM
I’ve been away from having a discus aquarium for many years and now retired decided to get back into it for the pleasure not business. I go to your site simply discus and I’ve noticed that some things have changed and some have not.
I bought 5 juvenile fish two blue diamonds, two red melons and a red spider at the end of October, lost 1 ( the red spider ) because it was a runt to begin with. Raised them in a 40 gallon 30”x25”x12” tank.
Now because I don’t want to stunt them and to reduce the chasing because they are getting bigger, I’m in the process of setting up a 77 gallon tank (48”x16”x25”), I bought used. Since I’ve got it I cut out and put new silicone in the joints. I filled it and added bleach then let it stand overnight and there was no leaks and then I rinsed it well.
Have a few questions that I would like to ask and would appreciate any opinions before I set the tank up:
I put 3/4” Styrofoam under the tank for insulation and support which is about 1/8” thicker than the space under the tank I think the extra 1/8” will be taken up with the water pressure. I will also be putting Styrofoam on the back, sides and some on the cover to cut down on the power cost. My question is has anyone insulated tanks for this reason and how did they insulate it.
My filter will be an Eheim 2217 and a sponge filter, my question is will the flow be too strong.
In the tank I will have sand, gravel, plants driftwood and stones my question is has anyone put Styrofoam under the substrate to prevent any stones cracking the bottom of the tank (happened to me once when I was filling it after a yearly cleaning lucky the fish were in buckets) the foam I want to use under the substrate is clean white packing foam. Has anyone done this for that reason, I saw it in a Utube video a little while ago.
The last question is when I introduce the fish to the big tank should I put the weakest fish in first then so on to the strongest fish one each two days or all at once because I would like to have a tranquil tank.
Thank you in advance for your answers and opinions
Stuart

OC Discus
02-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Stewart,

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll stab at a couple of them. I would not recommend putting anything under the substrate, since 1) I'm not sure if its toxic, and 2) It can become a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria and parasites. You might also want to read the links below on setting up a new discus tank.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?28937-How-do-I-set-up-my-first-discus-tank

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Best regards.

Udeservit
02-22-2014, 10:45 PM
How about a piece of egg crate on the bottom for the stones? You can still clean through it and it will gel distribute the weight of the rock. Styrofoam will float and be difficult if/when moving stones. Insulating your tank is a great Idea but i wouldn't put styrofoam inside the tank.

IMO I would put all 4 over at the same time if your water conditions are acceptable and your tank is cycled.

I see that Skip posted on another thread of yours stating that your filter should be fine. Thats good enough for me!!

I am new to Discus, but not new to the fish hobby.

Good Luck, Post pics when you are done!!

Udeservit
02-22-2014, 10:53 PM
ok I found this on a webpage that may be of some help

http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/how-to-hardscape-your-aquarium

• Before you begin, check both the strength and the stability of your tank stand, as well as the floor of the place where it is going to stand. Water is heavy and you are about to add rocks and substrate. Make sure the tank, stand or floor will not collapse under the load. Get some small Styrofoam sheets around 3cm thick, or alternatively a sheet of light-diffusing ‘egg-crate’. You will use these to put a cushion between the glass floor of your aquarium and the largest and heaviest rocks. (Your substrate will hide these)