PDA

View Full Version : Randy but super unsuccessful discus pair

wild-blue-discus
02-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Guys

I have a pair of very persistent discus, one blue one pidgin. They breed every second week. They have been doing this for about 12mths.
But they are wildly unsuccessful, generally the eggs get to day 2 or three and the majority of the eggs have turned white.
They then proceed to eat them all and start the process again.

I have put a cage over the eggs the last two times, the first attempt at this the pair hung out with them, a portion of them turned white the rest looked ok.

The male (I assume its male) makes all the right moves when the female lays the eggs, but with no joy...

Suggestions?

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2014, 07:46 AM
What are your water parameters and temp?

wild-blue-discus
02-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Water parameters in this tank are 28 degrees
PH 6.4
2 GH, 0-1 KH

thoughts?

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2014, 08:44 AM
I was thinking your temp might be too high but it is ok. Water parameters seem good to. Perhaps the male is not fertile.

wild-blue-discus
02-23-2014, 08:53 AM
I was beginning to think that? is there any reason the (assumed) male could be female and just going through the motions now that i have separated them off as a pair? (he has obviously never laid eggs)

I was thinking your temp might be too high but it is ok. Water parameters seem good to. Perhaps the male is not fertile.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Do you have another confirmed male you can try?

rdiscus
02-23-2014, 08:57 AM
I have put a cage over the eggs the last two times, the first attempt at this the pair hung out with them, a portion of them turned white the rest looked ok.

The rest looked ok, then what happened to the rest ?

DonMD
02-23-2014, 09:05 AM
My guess is that you've got two females. That's happened to me, too, the exact same thing.

wild-blue-discus
02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Hi all,

No currently i dont have another confirmed male available?

I have my suspicions that He is in fact a She despite its rather convincing display... she is clearly super kean,
She originally paired with an older male, they had one semi successful batch she ate the wrigglers at day 7 and unfortunately he passed on after living the good life for many many years.

She was reintroduced to a community tank and paired up with the current partner after three or four months.

Larry Bugg
02-23-2014, 11:24 AM
It is not unusual for two females to act like a male and female. It wasn't real clear but sounds like the pair is 1 pigeon and 1 non pigeon. If this is the case then you don't want them as a pair anyway. The offspring will be very peppered.

wild-blue-discus
02-24-2014, 03:00 AM
yes the F is pidgeon the "male" is a cobalt blue

timmy82
02-24-2014, 03:16 AM
Sounds like lesbian fish to me and being of pigeon and non pigeon I would certainly split them.

wild-blue-discus
02-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Sounds like lesbian fish to me and being of pigeon and non pigeon I would certainly split them.

sounds like it to me, i think i'll split them anyway, they may make weird babies