PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to Age my Water before a W/C or not?

32Bit_Fish
02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Guys,

I used to have a 39G tall fish tank to age water before a w/c. Now living space is an issue, so I had to use Prime treated tap water for w/c for my discus. I bought two discus a week ago and they turn dark and hiding whenever I perform a 50% or more w/c. I do 70% w/c every other day and 70% w/c on Sat and Sunday.

Both discus are 5" and they are in a 20G quarantine tank. One of the fish started jump while the water level was very low when I am doing a 75% w/c this morning. They come out about 30 mins after I've finished the w/c. Both temp and PH matches between the tap water and tank water as I do massive w/c often. The water here is soft, tap PH is at 6.8 and tank water PH gets to 6.6 (the lowest it gets before a w/c).

Sometimes I feel the w/c make the fish look worse. Should I start doing smaller portion w/c like 25% every other day? I couldn't think of reason that the new water is bad.

Some experts on here claim that healthy discus are not supposed to be spooky, and spooky/scared fish are most likely caused by poor water quality and disease.

Well, this is not the case in my tank. Both fish has no visible signs of illness and both fish eat everything I dumped in. But they just skittish and hides during a w/c. Why?

I appreciate all comments

jaykne
02-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Could have micro bubbles or something else in the water, I would try to find room to age water and see if that does the trick. New fish can be skittish till they get use to there new home, and some strains are skittish in general unless in large groups.

32Bit_Fish
02-23-2014, 06:03 PM
I have two Checkboard Turqs. I can probably use the 10G for water storage.

jaykne
02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Get a rubbermade trash can get them up to 34g or maybe larger, heater and airstone than you have plenty for 100%. Also might help if you get other test on the water like ammonia reading, nitrite reading, and nitrate reading out of the tap.

32Bit_Fish
02-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Get a rubbermade trash can get them up to 34g or maybe larger, heater and airstone than you have plenty for 100%. Also might help if you get other test on the water like ammonia reading, nitrite reading, and nitrate reading out of the tap.

I have high quality tap water here.

blueluv
02-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I have high quality tap water here.
Then why would your fish spook after a WC? Test your water to eliminate that possibility:)

32Bit_Fish
02-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Then why would your fish spook after a WC? Test your water to eliminate that possibility:)

I did test my tap water. That's why I can say I get quality tap water here. Fish get stressed out during a w/c.

BODYDUB
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
I did test my tap water. That's why I can say I get quality tap water here. Fish get stressed out during a w/c.
Lots of fish freak out during a w/c. OTH, I've had fish look for food during a w/c also...............

32Bit_Fish
02-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Lots of fish freak out during a w/c. OTH, I've had fish look for food during a w/c also...............

Ok, I just syphon out the waste from the tank and added some new water (about 2.5g). They hid behind the sponge filter again. They were all hanging in the front looking for food right before that. So I guess they just don't like to see movements and objects inside the tank. They are out now, it seems the issue is getting better.

What strain of discus that would not get freaked out easily? The wild heckler strain?

BODYDUB
02-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Just depends on the fish itself. I would say that most fish don't enjoy water changes, especially juvies. All my fish are adults, and even they all move to one side when I am doing a water change. Matter a fact a just did one about 2 hours ago........

32Bit_Fish
02-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Have you guys watched a YouTube clip that shows the water change scene of water change for discus at a discus farm in Asia. The water fills up the tank very fast and it was like water canon shooting at these discus and I don't see any of them stressed out. I guess the fish will get used to the w/c and I need to do it more often.