PDA

View Full Version : Tips on RO unit maintenance

ganesan
02-24-2014, 06:36 PM
I have had an 5 stage RO unit since 6 months now and have changed just once a few days back the first sediment 0.5 micron filter with a new candle as the old one was brown with sediments. As my RO unit runs and the ageing barrel fills I notice that the water flows continuously in one stream for about 45 to 60 seconds roughly and then the water output comes down a little with few drops falling for a short while for about 5 to 8 seconds and then again as before the water output comes continuously as a stream. Is this normal or is it a sign of something wrong. There is a low pressure switch fixed in the unit by the person who installed it. There are 2 carbon filters in addition and I do 10% WC daily for my 90G tank for the last 6 months(my bio load is less) since the RO unit was installed. Is it time to put a new carbon candle and do away with the old? I use well water and has no chlorine in it and tds of well water is about 350 to 400 and the RO is giving about 90 tds. The guy who installed showed me a blue round knob which is the tds adjuster. Is it possible to increase the rate of water output by changing the micron mesh sizes of the candles or settings to the tds knob in the RO system? The RO unit is about a feet higher than the ageing barrel to which the RO water goes and water coming to the RO is from a well from which water is pumped to an an overhead sintex tank situated one floor higher than the RO unit. I was told that pressure of incoming water has also something to do with RO water output. My ageing barrel has a capacity of about 50 to 60G and it takes about 8 hours to fill if totally empty. Off course I only top up WC daily but it took so long when it filled the first time to the brim and bet will take so long if I clean the whole ageing barrel one day.Now my main question is how to increase the out of RO water and tips on maintenance.:o:confused:

DiscusLoverJeff
02-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Do you have a pressure gauge on the unit?

Tell us what your PSI rating is. If it is too low, you may require a booster pump.

Do you know how old the membrane is?

How many gallons per hour is the unit?

Can you supply us some pictures to get a better visual?