PDA

View Full Version : IS THIS RIGHT

LFCYNWA
02-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Hi all, Just read this on the Stendker site, IS IT TRUE?

•I bought a new discus fish and added it to my other fish. Three days later all the others started to die but the new fish appears healthy. Why?

The new fish is probably from an Asiatic breeder and has a microbial strain or has introduced one and your discus fish could not cope with it. In such cases go to the vet and ask for antibiotics (e.g. Neomycin or Nitrofurantoin) and start the treatment immediately. (You will find recommendations for treatment on page 7).

•We bought companion fish (not discus, neons). After c. one week our discus fish died and only the neon fish survived. Why?

The companion fish introduced a microbial strain into the aquarium which your discus fish were not used to. Without antibiotics, the immune system of the fish couldn't cope. Probably dark coloration could be observed on the discus fish by the third or fourth day; treatment with antibiotics (e.g. Neomycin) would have had to have started at this point. We do not recommend adding further discus fish.

John_Nicholson
02-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Regardless of origin the one that lives is normally the carrier of the disease. This happens in all animals and not just fish. It was like when Europeans first came to America. Native Americans started dieing from all kinds of illnesses that they had never been exposed to.

-john

Skip
02-25-2014, 06:51 PM
thats why you quarantine fish BEFORE you add them to you tank..

Second Hand Pat
02-25-2014, 06:59 PM

and use a test fish before mixing the groups.

LFCYNWA
02-25-2014, 07:10 PM

So if I quarantine an asian for 4 weeks and it shows no sign of illness? Is it ok to add it to an aquarium of european discus or could it still carry something that could kill the europeans?

fredyx
02-25-2014, 07:13 PM
and use a test fish before mixing the groups.

+1000

Enviado desde mi Xoom usando Tapatalk 2

brewmaster15
02-25-2014, 07:13 PM
So if I quarantine an asian for 4 weeks and it shows no sign of illness? Is it ok to add it to an aquarium of european discus or could it still carry something that could kill the europeans?

Please read this thread link here.....
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?21044-Quarantine-*questions

hth,
al

Skip
02-25-2014, 07:15 PM

you need to read the beginner section.. look up Quarantine Fish.. all these questions of your are answered there..

its nothing to do with European or Asian.. its adding Fish from 2 different sources/places/spawns.. etc..

but Killing Europeans is ruthless. ;)

there you go.. BREW gave you link :)

LFCYNWA
02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Ok, Thanks a lot guys I will have a look there. What is a fish test?

brewmaster15
02-25-2014, 07:25 PM
A test fish is when you take one of your least favorite existing stock and mix it with the new stock.If it gets sick ... you have issues with mixing the newly acquired fish with your old stock.

hth,
al

Second Hand Pat
02-25-2014, 07:26 PM
You mix your least favorite fish from your display tank in with the fish in the QT to ensure the two groups will not make everyone sick.

LFCYNWA
02-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys!

BODYDUB
02-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Wow, fish started to die in 3 days after being introduced?!?!? Must have been one hell of a bacterial strain!!!!!!

treemanone2003
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Can the least favorite be something inexpensive ? Tetra, Molly, etc ? Maybe two ?

fredyx
02-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Can the least favorite be something inexpensive ? Tetra, Molly, etc ? Maybe two ?

Unfortunately not, must be a discus...

dirtyplants
02-26-2014, 08:04 PM
QT is utmost importance, but some parasites like (eg. valvet, Oodinium limneticum and Oodinium vastotor, Oodinium Amlyoodinium) can exist on a discus which has developed an immunity to this parasite, so it doesn't bother them, but once the new fish which has immunities is introduced to other fish which do not have such immunities to this parasite, then you can have an outbreak and fatalities, as this parasite attacks your other fish. So by adding a fish to the qt-ed fish, you will see if your new fish has parasites which may be dangerous to your established fish before placing the new fish in your established tank.

LFCYNWA
02-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Hey Skip, I had a little read trough the beginners guide, thanks for the advice but I got a little lost in the end as each thred eventually starts mimbo jimbering about something else, but I guess that's how it goes!
If you post me your address I could send you some fresh new razor blades for culling your fish!;)

LFCYNWA
02-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Sorry I meant for the Europeans!!:angel: