PDA

View Full Version : WHEN TO DO WATER CHANGE??

LFCYNWA
02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi all, when do I know when a water change is needed is it only based on when the nitrates rise if so what level do I need to change?

Skip
02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
every day.. 50% at least

John_Nicholson
02-25-2014, 06:44 PM
I change water 7 days a week.

-john

LFCYNWA
02-25-2014, 07:30 PM
So don't go by the nitrates then??

LFCYNWA
02-25-2014, 07:44 PM
My nitrates are normally around 10 mg/l and when they rise to 15-20 mg/l I do a WC so it reduces nitrates to around 5-10 mg/l. This is normally once a week, is that OK or should I increase WC and WHY?

nc0gnet0
02-25-2014, 08:18 PM
You should do it everyday at exactly 6:30 pm, 50%, because John said so!

-Rick

ps. Clean water helps prevent occurences like this:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?112393-PLEASE-HELP-FUNGUS-OR-BACTERIA

There is a lot more to the overall picture than just nitrates in regards to water quality.

BODYDUB
02-26-2014, 11:11 AM

-john

Honestly, should'nt it be based on stock, size of fish, feeding routine and tank size? I can see juvies needing daily water changes, but what about sub to adults???????

I don't do a daily w/c with my adults.

John_Nicholson
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
You are correct to an extent. I still do daily change on my adults 95% of the time. I might over do it but I don't have sick fish, I don't have problems.

-john

Allwin
02-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Juvis, i do WC everyday at-least 75% and a 100% WC weekly.

Adults - 25%-50% everyday to clean the bottom/sides and a 100% WC weekly.

Skip
02-26-2014, 12:01 PM
You are correct to an extent. I still do daily change on my adults 95% of the time. I might over do it but I don't have sick fish, I don't have problems.

-john

i am witness.. john methods are very successful and proven!!

BODYDUB
02-26-2014, 01:31 PM

-john

I agree clean water is a BIG ingredient in the recipe for healty fish, but damn. So how do you maintain your daily w/c routine when you're on your infamous hunting trips or any trip for that matter??????

farebox
02-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Just do large WC before you leave, don't feed. Done this twice for up to week and no problem. Just went back to my daily WC routine upon return from trip/vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_Nicholson
02-26-2014, 02:37 PM
That is why I had kids.......

-john

BODYDUB
02-26-2014, 04:40 PM
True, true..........

LFCYNWA
02-26-2014, 07:03 PM

-john

How many tanks do you have, John and how much is your water bill???
Are you sure they need that much fresh water, I mean have you got seriously overstocked tanks or something, say like many LFS!
If you haven't surely just a nitrates test kit will tell you when it needs fresh water?
I have heard you are the expert but please all I want is for somebody to explain, how do I know when to do a WC.
Obviously you guys just do it as often as possible, I bet you don't even have a nitrate test, there would be no need, changing that much water!

Skip
02-26-2014, 07:09 PM
all I want is for somebody to explain, how do I know when to do a WC.
Obviously you guys just do it as often as possible, I bet you don't even have a nitrate test, there would be no need, changing that much water!

you just DO them daily.. there is no test to tell you when to change water. if so.. then it has been TOO long..

LFCYNWA
02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Why measure for nitrates then? I mean what's the point, why do they sell nitrate test kit?

STHH
02-26-2014, 07:54 PM
I do believe in juvenile fish stunting easily, as i am also keeping goldfishes, and they somehow release growth limiting or inhibiting hormones. So water change is really important. It not just about the nitrate measurement.

LFCYNWA
02-26-2014, 08:18 PM
I do believe in juvenile fish stunting easily, as i am also keeping goldfishes, and they somehow release growth limiting or inhibiting hormones. So water change is really important. It not just about the nitrate measurement.

Ok STHH, thanks for trying to explain (and not just telling me what to do!) so I will try 50% WC everyday and th:prow away the nitrates kit!!

John_Nicholson
02-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Basically an old wives tale. While fish do produc hormaones the main limiting factor to growth with aquarium fish is dirty water.

-john

kevin.whisler
02-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi john,

I really respect your opinions. So, you don't buy into the "growth inhibiting hormone" theory? I am also skeptical.

pcsb23
02-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Why measure for nitrates then? I mean what's the point, why do they sell nitrate test kit?The test kits that hobbyists generally use are really a rather clever way of parting you from your hard earned money. They are inaccurate and worse still, variable. The same manufacturers tests can give different results from different batches - and I'm not talking about by a few %, I have seen a difference of 4 times with nitrate test kits and over two times with ammonia kits. At least it's fairly simple with ammonia and nitrite, if there is any present you need to check things! In general the pH tests are reasonable though.

Oh, and as a matter of forum etiquette can you stop using capital letters in your thread titles, it is the same thing as shouting. Ta muchly.

John_Nicholson
02-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi john,

I really respect your opinions. So, you don't buy into the "growth inhibiting hormone" theory? I am also skeptical.

Thanks. I cannot say 100% that there has never been a fish that did not kick out some GIH but I have never really seen much science to lead me to believe that many tropical fish do it. Everything that happens in nature happens for a reason. Everything that happens has a biological cost. Why would discus ( a river fish ) spend resources to produce something that is just going to flow down the river and have no affect. The biggest problem discus have with growth is dirty water.

-john

GrayLadyPat
02-27-2014, 01:20 PM
I did 50% or more water changes at least 3 times a week. Then I had to go out of town for a family emergency. I changed 80%+ every day before I left, and reduced their feed to twice a day. I hired a friend to do at least a water change a week while I was gone.

When I got back, I found out that there were NO water changes done in the entire month. I was beside myself, expecting to see a tank full of dead fish when I got home. Amazingly, they were all ok. I immediately did daily 80%+ water changes for a couple of weeks. Now I am back on my 3 times a week changes.

Keep in mind that all of my discus are adults, and they seem to have been exceptionally healthy when I left. If any of them had seemed a bit off, or were younger, I would be doing daily changes.

As for testing my water, I test every day to make sure there are no spikes in my parameters. Waiting for any parameter to rise to (x) is dangerous to the fish, as many times, it's already too late. The damage is done.

kevin.whisler
02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Why would discus ( a river fish ) spend resources to produce something that is just going to flow down the river and have no affect.

That is an excellent point. I never thought of that. Thanks.

LFCYNWA
02-27-2014, 04:47 PM
The test kits that hobbyists generally use are really a rather clever way of parting you from your hard earned money. They are inaccurate and worse still, variable. The same manufacturers tests can give different results from different batches - and I'm not talking about by a few %, I have seen a difference of 4 times with nitrate test kits and over two times with ammonia kits. At least it's fairly simple with ammonia and nitrite, if there is any present you need to check things! In general the pH tests are reasonable though.

Oh, and as a matter of forum etiquette can you stop using capital letters in your thread titles, it is the same thing as shouting. Ta muchly.

Thanks guys for all input, this a great site for help! Thanks for the tip on the capital letters, all I was trying to do was make it stand out more, I certainly wasn't shouting at anyone!

LFCYNWA
02-27-2014, 05:08 PM
I did 50% or more water changes at least 3 times a week. Then I had to go out of town for a family emergency. I changed 80%+ every day before I left, and reduced their feed to twice a day. I hired a friend to do at least a water change a week while I was gone.

When I got back, I found out that there were NO water changes done in the entire month. I was beside myself, expecting to see a tank full of dead fish when I got home. Amazingly, they were all ok. I immediately did daily 80%+ water changes for a couple of weeks. Now I am back on my 3 times a week changes.

Keep in mind that all of my discus are adults, and they seem to have been exceptionally healthy when I left. If any of them had seemed a bit off, or were younger, I would be doing daily changes.

As for testing my water, I test every day to make sure there are no spikes in my parameters. Waiting for any parameter to rise to (x) is dangerous to the fish, as many times, it's already too late. The damage is done.

WOW! So we don't really need to give discus that many WC's?

LFCYNWA
02-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Hey GreyLadyPat water filter are you running, what size aquarium and how many adult discus? Thanks for input!

pcsb23
02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys for all input, this a great site for help! Thanks for the tip on the capital letters, all I was trying to do was make it stand out more, I certainly wasn't shouting at anyone!No probs, just letting you know nicely (makes a change for me ;))

Don't skimp on water changes, I have a simple rule I follow, if in doubt do a water change!

Elliots
02-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Once my tank cycled I stopped testing for nitrates. There are organic compounds and dissloved gases in the water that we do not test for and these trace amounts can build up so no matter what your test results are, change water. Currently I change 50% 3-4X weekly. I have a tank with a large bioload. If I do miss a couple of changes my fish do not look so good but the next change perks them up. I would like to change more water more often but sometimes I am busy or just lazy.

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Ok guys and thanks again for advice, no more tests, just WC as often as possible, at least 5 times a week 50%! And no zeolites or carbon in filter unless an emergency!

reef-keeper
03-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Quick question ... John do you put anything in the water as in an additive or just water when you do your changes??

John_Nicholson
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Quick question ... John do you put anything in the water as in an additive or just water when you do your changes??

I have done both through the years depending on the local water supply at the moment. I live in the country but we have the deepest ground water in the entire state. Wells are not practical so I have "city" water of all things. I use safe when I need to add stuff.

-john