PDA

View Full Version : LFS has a blue wild pair for sale. Have a question?

we4wieners
02-26-2014, 07:15 PM
My LFS has a pair of what they called a blue wild pair. I haven't seen discus in the store ever. They are being housed a 10g hex plastic tank and they are about 5-6" each. They want 100. for the pair.

1. Can I mix wilds with my current stock of snakeskins and turks?

2. Any special way to q-tine them?

3. They are really timid and dark in that little tank, however their fins are bright blue.

I have no experience with wilds, so I apologize for the dumb questions.

Udeservit
02-26-2014, 07:34 PM
OMG, beware. Your scenario sounds like one I had and it ended badly. !00 bucks for a pair is really cheap. Can you find out where the store got the discus? Id see if they even eat at the store. If its a project you want and you have the available tank for a pair and $ if they are sick then why not!!! you sound intrigued . you have a min 30 gal for this pair? QT, you ask? YEs!!!! I think Id find a permanent separate home for the pair if its breeding you want to experiment with.

I wouldn't mix a pair at all if thats what your wondering. thats my opinion. Give them the best home possible min 30 gal and hope for the best, but by your description I think you'd be taking a chance for just about every variable. Breeding proof? are they really a pair? Where did LFS get them? etc.....

I am soooo interested in following this if you do make the purchase. But I'd be wary from the info you've shared.

Cheap pair experiment :) Or expensive... However you see it.

Cheers

we4wieners
02-26-2014, 08:18 PM
I am very skeptical. However, I really want these guys, but I don't want to make a rash purchase. I only have a 20g for a QT. Is there any reason to add anything to the QT? If I do decide, I will certainly make sure they eat at the store.

brewmaster15
02-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Take a few pics and post them here.. At least we can give you some feed back on the strains and health... but honestly.. walk away. Between how they are keeping them and your experience and equipment on hand, Its really not a good idea, IMO.

Impulse discus buying at a LFS is usually a recipe for disaster.

hth,
al

yim11
02-26-2014, 08:44 PM
They are really timid and dark in that little tank

That's when I walk away...

we4wieners
02-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Take a few pics and post them here.. At least we can give you some feed back on the strains and health... but honestly.. walk away. Between how they are keeping them and your experience and equipment on hand, Its really not a good idea, IMO.

Impulse discus buying at a LFS is usually a recipe for disaster.

hth,
al
I agree. Takin' the advice here. I really want them, probably because I've never seen them there before..especially wilds. Gonna take some pics and post them tomorrow. Wait for you guys to chime in on them and their health.

Second Hand Pat
02-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Do yourself a favor and walk away. Get a couple of wilds from snookn21 if you want wilds but do so with proper preparation.

we4wieners
02-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Do yourself a favor and walk away. Get a couple of wilds from snookn21 if you want wilds but do so with proper preparation.

Doesn't need to be said again.......hear that? That's me walkin' away!

brewmaster15
02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Second Hand Pat;1072904]Do yourself a favor and walk away. Get a couple of wilds from snookn21 if you want wilds but do so with proper preparation.[/QUOTE

Doesn't need to be said again.......hear that? That's me walkin' away! walk faster!:bandana:....better yet...Run! LOL

Bill63SG
02-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Take some pics anyway.We can probably make you feel better about walking away.

kkdiscus
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
I would love to see the pics! :)

Elliots
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
First hint not to buy. Two 5-6" Discus and a pair no less for $100. Way too cheap and remember your LFS is making a profit of 100-200%. If you hunt you might one nice 5-6" Discus for $100 on the net but I do not think you can ever find a good 5-6" fish for $100 at a LFS.

we4wieners
02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
I am in South Jersey. Gonna take a trip to Hans here in the next few weeks. Looking to finish my stocking with 2 more. In regards to the wild pair, I will post pics tomorrow.

Skip
02-26-2014, 10:14 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/gorilla-walking-away-gif.gif
That's when I walk away...