PDA

View Full Version : Gone for the weekend

Jstaabs
02-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Besides a auto feeder what is te best way to feed the discus while your out of town for a few days?

Tankster
02-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Find the neighbor with the nicest lawn in the neighborhood... someone who shows a propensity for being quite particular, and make friends with them :)

Tankster
02-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Other than that, and not from personal experience but through my readings of some of the people I respect as experts on this forum, unless you are in the middle of a grow out, and even then, fasting for a few days will not stunt your fish. They will be just fine. Just do a 90% water change the day of, or day before you depart.

Keith Perkins
02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
What Greg said. Unless they're quite young fish, you're better off just leaving them with really clean water while you're gone.

Jstaabs
02-27-2014, 02:23 AM
Alright thanks guys...and I think I have the greenest grass where I live right now haha

Jstaabs
02-27-2014, 02:28 AM
And has anyone tried using a corner air filter for a breeder tank? I bought one that has a three stage filtration my thought was the carbon would help with keeping the water clean and stuff out of the water

Keith Perkins
02-27-2014, 08:46 AM
About the only thing carbon is really good for is removing medications from water, and I don't even use it for that. You should be doing enough WCs in a breeder tank that you don't need anything other than a sponge filter.

BODYDUB
02-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Yup, I only use carbon to remove any meds that are in the water after a treatment. I've personally have been out of town for a week without any feedings given to my fish. But I did do a almost 100% water change the day of and the day after I get back from being away...........

Jstaabs
02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
That's kinda what I thought about that extra filter. I kept having my nitrate and ammonia spiking so that why I tried that. I have another question I was doing a wc 50% on my main 135 last night and added water back in and since last night my tefe is half blackish brown on one side of his body and the other side is normal. I can't think of what would cause one side to do that

Tazalanche
02-27-2014, 07:55 PM
I have another question I was doing a wc 50% on my main 135 last night and added water back in and since last night my tefe is half blackish brown on one side of his body and the other side is normal. I can't think of what would cause one side to do thatIt might be best to start a new thread for that in the disease section, with the completed questionnaire.

Jstaabs
02-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Ok will do

SortSay2003
02-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Other than that, and not from personal experience but through my readings of some of the people I respect as experts on this forum, unless you are in the middle of a grow out, and even then, fasting for a few days will not stunt your fish. They will be just fine. Just do a 90% water change the day of, or day before you depart.

LOL!!!!! This is exactly what I did! 90% wc on 2/16 after big feeding and before departure last week when I had to leave for a week, 2/16-2/22. Asked my wife to feed on Wed. only and they were fine when came back and did wc on 2/22. A lot of what I did was from reading some of the posts by the Experts on SD.

They are GREAT and it WORKS!!!!:) Thank you ALL!!!!! Hth