PDA

View Full Version : Shedding, white spots on fins

rasbora
02-27-2014, 01:29 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I began to notice some white on the tails and pectoral fins of some fish. I think it started because I cleaned out my canister filter which was major overdue. I have been using this filter from the beginning of this tank but it came from another one.

2. Symptoms (i.e. , excess slime, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White on fins. Shedding slime coat. Fins "receeding" including tail and dorsal this was happening quite rapidly to the original fish as if something was eating at it's skin. White poop. Fuzzy white spot on one fish that is now gone. The original fish that had the symptoms is now shedding stress coat massively and clamping fins.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

So far I have given a salt bath to a couple fish. I used 3 heaping tablespoons of salt in a 2 gallon bath for 30 minutes. The first time i did this I think I actually used 6 tablespoons of salt I can't remember, but the fish only lasted 20 minutes before it was sidways. I put it back in and it had a dramatic improvement. Whiteness on the fins cleared up and the fish became a lot more like its normal self after about an hour of being re-introduced to the tank.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75g 6 discus 4-5inch. 2 sub adult BN plec.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

40% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

6 months Bare Bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age water 24hrs. Ph swing is .5 or less.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84-86___

- ph __7___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- municipal water _100%___

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

I added translated some vals from another tank into this one in 2 pots. I did this a week ago.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://imageshack.com/a/img839/4079/4arn.jpg

pcsb23
02-27-2014, 05:21 AM
If you have seen improvement by doing salt dips, maybe that is the way forward. If you used 6 tablespoons and they keeled over after 20 mins that's fine, it will have done it's job. There is nothing obvious on the pic.

I've rarely had or witnessed many issues from cleaning a filter, the biggest risk is that the nitrifying bacteria get compromised so you may get a mini cycle.

OC Discus
02-27-2014, 10:43 PM
You might try raising the temp to 89 or 90 for a week or two to prevent a reinfestation/kill off young parasites

pcsb23
02-28-2014, 06:01 AM
You might try raising the temp to 89 or 90 for a week or two to prevent a reinfestation/kill off young parasitesWhy? Which parasites are we talking about here? It doesn't look like the fish has ick from the image posted (it may but there are no obvious signs such as cysts on the fish). High temps do not necessarily kill ick these days anyway. Until we know or have a better idea of what we are dealing with it is often better to lower temps as it will buy time, things happen an awful lot faster at high temps. It is true you can stimulate the fishes immune system with a short term blast of heat, but you also accelerate the growth and proliferation of pathogens too as well as reducing available O2 and asking the fish to use much more energy in the process.

OC Discus
02-28-2014, 10:43 AM
White spot has become slang for ick/parasite. Couldn't tell from the pic. May be just bacterial. I yield to Paul on this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk