PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to age tap water?

Hupp
02-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm wondering if there is a way around aging my tap water? Is there a way to "degas" as it comes from the faucet? I don't really have room for a water storage been in my home and I have a 110 gallon tank that I need to do changes on daily. The nitrogen bubble form the tap will strip the slime coat from my fish. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

JOSNNGUYEN
02-27-2014, 01:09 PM
I don't age my water. At first my discus did not like the micro bubbles but they are get use to it now. As long your water parameter is stable. I used to age my water before and then for some reason my discus did not like it so I stop. Hopefully there is someone can help you with this

DiscusLoverJeff
02-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Hupp,

Just add Seachem's Prime or Safe to the tank just prior to filling. Follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Hupp
02-27-2014, 02:45 PM
That's what I do now but if I do a large water change I notice the slime coat strippping away.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Then you need to test your water before and after filling. You have other issue possibly or are not using enough Prime.

JOSNNGUYEN
02-27-2014, 02:50 PM
It happened to my discus before but I haven't notice it for awhile and I do 75-90% water change every other day for 55 gallons tank with 5 discus in it. And they're seem fine.

Hupp
02-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Yes I use more than enough prime. It's the nitrogen bubbles that are causing this. I was trying to see if there was a method for eliminating this without aging. I splash against the side of the tank when filling but it doesn't defuse the bubbles.

Kingin
02-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Haven't aged my water for the past 8 months. I use straight from tap do 50% water changes every other day on both tanks 150g/65g. I did test my water straight from tap and after 24hr age ph was the same. Warm tap water not cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JOSNNGUYEN
02-27-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't think if there is another way to do it without aged water. But how's your discus? are they stress? or are they fine with those bubbles?

treemanone2003
02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
My only question is if you're on city or well supply ? Unfortunately, I can be of no use for help here. I'm on city water supply and as a JOSNNGUYEN and I talked about on another thread, I have no issues straight from the tap after many different testing variables. I'll try to find it now and copy and paste. Hope you can find an answer that works well.
Found:
I've tested it right from the faucet, aged 24 hours alone as well with and without both heat and air and the difference is nothing. I'm simply amazed I could be so fortunate. I am expecting some change once it becomes warmer but I could be wrong.
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
pH 6.8

That's both cold and warm tap water.

chubba
03-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Hi

I am new here and would like to understand the term "ageing the water"

For my water I use the water straight from the tap and into a water bucket. Heater and air pump in and then let it sit until the temperature is the same as the tank and leave it for 24 hrs.

How do you guys use the tap water and straight into the tank

Thanks

adapted
03-28-2014, 07:48 PM
The pH of tap water will often rise or fall after a few hours of aeration. The main thing you want to avoid is a sudden change in tank pH. "Ageing water" is mostly a matter of letting it settle into its natural pH state and thereby presumably match what's in the tank.

Some people associate aging with chlorine dissipation but that's a less prominent part of the process now that the addition of chloramines to public water supplies is widespread. (You can't count on aging water to remove chloramines.)

If you're lucky, your tapwater pH will be close to what's in the tank and you can just heat it, add Prime or Safe or some similar product and run it straight in. Be aware that it's not unusual for the pH of tapwater to change from one day to the next, some times by quite a bit.

Jstaabs
04-03-2014, 12:35 AM
I hook my hose to my shower and try to get the water as close as I can to what's in the tank. Which I'm normally with in 1-2 degrees

Eti
04-03-2014, 04:20 PM
I did not age my water for 6 months and all my discus were fine. Until winter came....Then microbubbles were appearing, stripping the slime coat off and I had a couple of dead discus within weeks. Winter can be tough on wc since the water is colder, I read that it retains CO2 more and that you have a higher PH swing. I now age my water in a 40g brute trash can, I have had NO problem. Make sure to use Prime too. I age my water with a rio pump in the can to make sure there is a good water circulation. You can also put a heater and an airstone

Cosabuena
04-04-2014, 01:03 AM
I did not age my water for 6 months and all my discus were fine. Until winter came....Then microbubbles were appearing, stripping the slime coat off and I had a couple of dead discus within weeks. Winter can be tough on wc since the water is colder, I read that it retains CO2 more and that you have a higher PH swing. I now age my water in a 40g brute trash can, I have had NO problem. Make sure to use Prime too. I age my water with a rio pump in the can to make sure there is a good water circulation. You can also put a heater and an airstone

Exactly my problem here in NYC. I remember even in warmer weather I was getting a lot of micro bubbles straight from tap with maybe 2-3 degree temp fluctuation. The part I didn't know was that it was eating my fish slime coat. I only thought that they shed and it was good -___-
Then found out not too long ago about the co2 on cold water/tap water. So when I got my 5 albino discus from Kenny. I made an investment on a 60 gallon barrel for my 75. I change 50% everyday. No problem. I keep a water pump for circulation as well :) and heater of course. Still takes me about 30 min emptying and refilling tank and refilling barrel again. Which I want to cut that time by a least a 1/3 any suggestions?

LeeAberdeen
04-04-2014, 06:06 AM
Yes I use more than enough prime. It's the nitrogen bubbles that are causing this. I was trying to see if there was a method for eliminating this without aging. I splash against the side of the tank when filling but it doesn't defuse the bubbles.

Had the same problem, minus the slime coat removal (see 'Micro-bubbles' thread below/above). Managed to remove nearly all the bubbles by attaching a shower head, which aerates the water as it comes out and leaves fewer bubbles which are gone within a few hours, unlike the previous bubbles which hung around for days if you didn't wipe them off. The fish seem much happier, too...