PDA

View Full Version : Tank shape, size and type-of-glass question.

adapted
02-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I've decided my 75 is too small to provide the best home to 8 large discus so I'm returning it. (It also has a defect - the trim is not level.)

I thought it might be worth paying 150 bucks more for a 90G, mainly for more depth (48" x 18 x 25 vs 48 x 18 x 21).

Then I thought since it fits the same wall space, a 120 (48 x 24 x 25) might be the better option for 8 large discus.

If anyone has used both sizes for a similar sized group of adults could you offer an opinon on the value of the increased depth? Value to the fish, I mean... would they be more likely to thrive with the extra space?

Also, while I'm spending like a sailor on shore leave, is it worth it on either sized tank to pay 100 bucks more for low iron glass. (I'm a serious amateur photgrapher and I'm sort of picky about color rendition.) I', assuming the glass would be about 3/8 for the ninety and possibly one-half for the 120. (Buying from Glass Cages.)

Thanks...

Elliots
02-28-2014, 12:44 PM
I also bought from GlassCasges. I spent the extra money for low iron glass. I only bought the front glass in low iron. The larger the tank the better for your Discus. My tank is also 24" deep and I like it. With that depth there is more room for your fish to swim from back to front. If you want driftwood or plants there is more room for them. You have not really started spending. Wait until you buy Discus!

adapted
02-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Thank Eliot... that is exactly the sort of answer I was hoping to get.

As for the discus themselves. I had what was to me a decent amount budgeted for 6-8 fish from Hans or John Kretasoulos ($1200) but I had an unexpected root canal Wednesday (also 1200) so I have to regroup.

(Can two large men lift and position a 120G?)

OC Discus
02-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Adapted,

You said in a previous discussion you were looking for a local breeder. Astrochick in Birmingham is not too far from you, and will be selling some adults and juvies. May be worthwhile to see what she has.

As far as the tank, the only down side that I've heard for the deepest ones is the difficulty of cleaning them- vacuuming the bottom all the way to the back. Elliots can probably comment more on that.

zachrabbit15
02-28-2014, 02:03 PM
I love my stubby 120 (48x24x24) its a great size for Discus and also nice if you decide to do a planted tank. The depth front to back helps give a layout depth. Before you go with Glass Cages read some reviews. They tend to be bad to horror storys for the most part.

adapted
02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks OC... I will defnitely keep an eye on what astrochick has to offer.. Birmingham is an easy drive and there is no substitute for seeing what you're getting. (I think I will be getting some Stendker Santarems as well but that will be for another tank.

Adapted,

You said in a previous discussion you were looking for a local breeder. Astrochick in Birmingham is not too far from you, and will be selling some adults and juvies. May be worthwhile to see what she has.

As far as the tank, the only down side that I've heard for the deepest ones is the difficulty of cleaning them- vacuuming the bottom all the way to the back. Elliots can probably comment more on that.

adapted
02-28-2014, 02:15 PM
I love my stubby 120 (48x24x24) its a great size for Discus and also nice if you decide to do a planted tank. The depth front to back helps give a layout depth. Before you go with Glass Cages read some reviews. They tend to be bad to horror storys for the most part.

I have heard mixed reviews on Glass Cages ... I believe that had some quality control or some sort of problem s with their acrylic tanks. Discus Hans speaks well of them and he's bought plenty.

Elliots
02-28-2014, 02:52 PM
GlassCages may have had problems years ago. If you check the dates on the negative posts they are from at least several years ago. Their tanks are not perfect but they cost 1/4 to 1/2 of anyone else. Who cares if the corners are not perfectly square or there is some excess silicone, I like the $ saving.

adapted
02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
The woman at glass cages said they can drill the tank for $25. I wonder if it's worth it just for draining the tank for WC's when siphoning is so easy. (I keep a PVC U connected to a fat hose with a ball valve so all I need to do is open the valve and it drains out the window.) I had a few drilled tanks ten years ago (drilled them myself) but since I never used sumps I never saw them as indispensable or even noticeably better than my siphon set up.

kkdiscus
02-28-2014, 09:04 PM
I find 4 feet a bit small for the fish to RUN AWAY when being chased by the alpha fish in the tank... :p

Elliots
03-01-2014, 02:29 PM
4 feet is probably not too small for fish to run away and HIDE. I suggest driftwood and/or plants. If your tank is BB it possibly could be too small, I do not know.