PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts sand or gravel

tony nicholls
03-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Hi all new here. Just thought id ask what you think is better sand or gravel and why. Had a discus tank for a year now (still a beginner) what a great fish may I add. Just closed my tank down for a couple of week so would be a great time to change. But there is a lot of different opinions out there as to what is the best and why, what do you guys have does it work many thanks.

pastry
03-01-2014, 05:22 PM
You probably all ready know the most vocal majority on here would say the best is bare bottom. As for me, I'm a substrate guy and I have sand. It's not powdery but it doesn't let crap sink down in crevices (unless fish move suddenly and kick up some sand)

DC Discus
03-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I've used sand and gravel and prefer a thin layer of sand. Be sure to get pool filter sand, it's cleaner and better looking.
Cheers,
DC

tony nicholls
03-01-2014, 07:13 PM
yeah lol most are bare bottom guys on here and i get why I have gravel at mo with an undergravel filter which I have decided to take out to be honest as I agree with a lot of people on here about the problems they can cause . But I to like substrate and a planted tank I think it adds character to a tank but being told in the past not to use sand but have all ways wanted to I see many photos of sand bottom tanks and think they look great but its also whats best for the fish and as I don't know any imput is more than welcome thanks for your reply pastry

tony nicholls
03-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks for imput

GeauxDiscus
03-01-2014, 08:37 PM
You can actually paint the outside bottom of your tank with a course paint that looks just like sand, and that would allow you to get the benefits of bare-bottom and the look of sand. I'm sure pinterest or other sites have directions. I've seen them, and you have to really look hard to tell a difference.

pastry
03-01-2014, 10:33 PM
no problem tony. I have a thread in the planted section that has plenty of pics of my tank with sand. I probably have the dirtiest tank on this site by the way... so there's my disclaimer :p

Cichlidcraze
03-02-2014, 01:50 AM
1) Bare bottom is the easiest to clean and keep clean.
2) Sand can be kept clean but requires more effort than BB.
3) Gravel traps too much dirt and is unsuitable IMO.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-02-2014, 08:20 AM
What size tank?
How many discus are you planning to have?
What size, juvies or adults?

Bare-Bottom works best for raising juvies because of all the water changes needed. Sand can be used with adults. Gravel is a no for most people.

discuspaul
03-02-2014, 10:10 AM
If you want a substrate along with a few plants, the best way to go is pool filter sand, obtained from a pool or spa supply store.
Grows plants well and is by far the easiest to keep super clean.
Here's a look at mine:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins

Cosabuena
03-22-2014, 03:02 PM
If you want a substrate along with a few plants, the best way to go is pool filter sand, obtained from a pool or spa supply store.
Grows plants well and is by far the easiest to keep super clean.
Here's a look at mine:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins

I hate pool sand. It's the finnest sand out there. Fish swim by it d it's a disaster. I actually dumped everything and got a bag from Home Depot of medium coarse sand. 6$ for a 60lb bag. This was much much better.

Pool sand is like powder form. This other sand was way better n much heavier too.

discuspaul
03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
I hate pool sand. It's the finnest sand out there. Fish swim by it d it's a disaster. I actually dumped everything and got a bag from Home Depot of medium coarse sand. 6$ for a 60lb bag. This was much much better.

Pool sand is like powder form. This other sand was way better n much heavier too.

Have to disagree. Pool filter sand is not fine, powdery sand. You are misinformed.
#20 grade PFS is what is generally sold, and it's much larger-grained and much denser than most other sands, particularly play sand which is usually very fine & powdery, and contains a lot of dust, dirt & grime. PFS does not flow up into the water column when disturbed, is easily vacuumed up without getting siphoned out, and will not get into, and clog up filters.
I've used it in 2 discus tanks, and other tanks, for several years straight, and swear by it for ease of cleaning, as well as growing out plants well, as I previously mentioned. Did you have a look at my discus tank above ?
Many discus-keepers use PFS in planted environments and are very happy with it.
I believe you did not get true PFS if yours was fine & powdery, and was a disaster, as you said.

Cosabuena
03-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Have to disagree. Pool filter sand is not fine, powdery sand. You are misinformed.
#20 grade PFS is what is generally sold, and it's much larger-grained and much denser than most other sands, particularly play sand which is usually very fine & powdery, and contains a lot of dust, dirt & grime. PFS does not flow up into the water column when disturbed, is easily vacuumed up without getting siphoned out, and will not get into, and clog up filters.
I've used it in 2 discus tanks, and other tanks, for several years straight, and swear by it for ease of cleaning, as well as growing out plants well, as I previously mentioned. Did you have a look at my discus tank above ?
I believe you did not get true PFS if yours was fine & powdery, and was a disaster, as you said.

Lol. My mistake. I meant to play sand. -___-
I bought that crap a while back and was like "why do people even suggest this crap" didn't even last 3 days in my tank. Went back to Home Depot for quekrete medium sand.
I'm from New York and I couldn't find pool sand. Online was charging a lot for shipping. Good thing is. I have about 1/2 lb of sand on my tank. Taking out in every water change. Going bare bottom. Much easier. Lol.

GeauxDiscus
03-23-2014, 06:54 PM

So will the 20 grade sand slide through a net? The reason I'm asking is because I like to net out the poop instead of siphoning because netting is much quicker. I've been considering adding a very thin layer of sand lately in an effort to combat the infamous "poopnado". The filter exhaust and my small power head both point to the top of my 150, but there is still a small current that makes it to the bottom of my tank and seems to gather all the poop on one side of the tank. This same small current creates a little poopnado over the course of the day, and that crap can't be good floating in the air and getting in their gills. Would a thin layer of sand help combat the poopnado? :D

Yong73186
03-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Under gravel filters are the worst!! Had it once when I kept non discus fish. Loads of sh*t just cover the tank the moment u took the filter out. Couldn't even find where the fish are!!!!?It's useless!!!!

discuspaul
03-23-2014, 11:19 PM
So will the 20 grade sand slide through a net? The reason I'm asking is because I like to net out the poop instead of siphoning because netting is much quicker. I've been considering adding a very thin layer of sand lately in an effort to combat the infamous "poopnado". The filter exhaust and my small power head both point to the top of my 150, but there is still a small current that makes it to the bottom of my tank and seems to gather all the poop on one side of the tank. This same small current creates a little poopnado over the course of the day, and that crap can't be good floating in the air and getting in their gills. Would a thin layer of sand help combat the poopnado? :D

Under gravel filters are the worst!! Had it once when I kept non discus fish. Loads of sh*t just cover the tank the moment u took the filter out. Couldn't even find where the fish are!!!!?It's useless!!!!

What the heck is "poopnado",...... and why are we all of a sudden talking about under gravel filters ? What have I missed here ?
LOL
As for sand sliding through a net, it all depends on whether the net is fine mesh or larger mesh. You'd have to try it out for yourself, Shane.

farebox
03-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Use pool filter sand, thin layer. For cleaning, just hover over the sand with the python,bam all the debris sucked up and out. A quick wiz during WC on the ole 125g...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yong73186
03-24-2014, 02:42 AM
What the heck is "poopnado",...... and why are we all of a sudden talking about under gravel filters ? What have I missed here ?
LOL
As for sand sliding through a net, it all depends on whether the net is fine mesh or larger mesh. You'd have to try it out for yourself, Shane.
Hummmm! I thought someone did mention about under gravel filter. My bad for the confusion!!!

GeauxDiscus
03-24-2014, 10:50 PM
LOL

I can't be the only one who's experienced the poopnado. It's sort of like a tornado, but with fish poop. The current picks up the poop and spins it up into something that resembles a dust devil. It's annoying as crap (no pun intended).

BuffaloTodd
03-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Good info here.

sgchick
03-28-2014, 12:40 PM

I liked your idea Shane for a quick clean- up, but neither of my fish nets let the sand filter through. I have the PFS also. Even a couple of my cooking strainers weren't big enough. Probably not a good dea to go through your wife/ girlfriends strainers though. Haha. I'm going to be on the hunt for a strainer big enough. :-)

GeauxDiscus
03-29-2014, 12:57 PM
That's good feedback - thanks. I went ahead and bought a small bag of sand that I can experiment with in a bucket. I doubt I'll end up adding the sand, but I sure would like to add a thin layer if I could just find a quick method for daily pooper-scooping.

tonytheboss1
03-31-2014, 02:28 AM
I'm from New York and I couldn't find pool sand. Online was charging a lot for shipping. Good thing is. I have about 1/2 lb of sand on my tank. Taking out in every water change. Going bare bottom. Much easier. Lol.

:bandana: Can't argue that bare bottom is easier but I like the look of a sandy bottom. What part of NEW YORK? Any Ace Hardware http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11683357 . As to the net, I often use a medium grade net in between vacuums w/ no problems. Sifts the sand & holds the waste. "T"

kwan8911
03-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Sand is better that gravel... it is not likely to trap poop..