PDA

View Full Version : filter media question?

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 04:36 PM
What should I have in my filter canister? At the moment I have bio balls, ceramic rings, filter wool and every now and again I add charcoal or/and zeolite, is there anything else I should be adding?

treemanone2003
03-02-2014, 05:07 PM
From what I know, charcoal will remove meds. So if your treating sick fish with charcoal still in your filter, you're wasting lots of money on meds and not helping the fish.

100fuegos
03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
It is common among discus keepers to not use or recommend carbon in the filer unless meds are to be removed. With the ammount of wc neded to keep healty discus it is not needed.

Besides be aware that if for any reason salt is added to the tank zeolites will leach all the amonia adsorbed.

Enviado desde mi SM-T2105 mediante Tapatalk

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Clean wool, as much bio media as will fit, and possibly some purigen pouches. I've added purigen to my canister and have been very happy with the results.

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 05:33 PM
I only add charcoal to get rid of meds and zeolite when my nitrates rise, I was thinking of adding purigen but I wasn't sure although all reviews have been good. What is in purigen and should it be left in the filter permenantly?

100fuegos
03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Zeolites to remove nitrates???? You should be doing water changes instead and a lot of them, heck your nitrates shouln't be high to start with.

Enviado desde mi SM-T2105 mediante Tapatalk

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Should I not be using zeolites? Normally nitrates don't rise but I have it for emergency! Thanks for the tip about salts with zeolite in filter, ammonia will leach!

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Purigen is not a chemical. It is a filter media that removes very fine waste and helps prevent a rise in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It doesn't replace water changes, but can help the tank look better and be more healthy between water changes. Any discus tank, even with mature adults, should probably get at least 1 or 2 large water changes per week (75-90%) each to replenish minerals and remove waste products.

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Purigen is not a chemical. It is a filter media that removes very fine waste and helps prevent a rise in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It doesn't replace water changes, but can help the tank look better and be more healthy between water changes. Any discus tank, even with mature adults, should probably get at least 1 or 2 large water changes per week (75-90%) each to replenish minerals and remove waste products.
I am doing about 50% WC every other day at the moment but would like to add purigen, do I need to take out purigen if medicating?

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure about medicating. It will say on the instructions- just follow that. I added 4 pouches to the canister and have noticed a huge improvement in water clarity and quality after about one week.

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Purigen is a very fine grain product that comes in small pouches or loose. The loose form has to be put into a special bag fine enough to contain it.

LFCYNWA
03-03-2014, 06:16 PM
From what I know, charcoal will remove meds. So if your treating sick fish with charcoal still in your filter, you're wasting lots of money on meds and not helping the fish.
Thanks for the tip George, back in my early days of fish keeping this cost me a lot of money! But over the years I have become more wise!;) Even zeolites will remove certain meds!

LFCYNWA
03-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks OC Discus, I have heard a lot of good reports on purigen, I think I am going to have to give it a try!