PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum vs Silicone on Canister O Rings

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Is a sterile petroleum sealant on canister o rings as safe and effective as silicone sealant?

sdrexler078
03-02-2014, 05:49 PM
I'd just get a new o ring. Is it bad and you're trying to reseal it?

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
No. It's new. Instructions with the canister suggest applying silicone sealant to the o rings after cleaning the canister. It actually came with a small amount, like grease- not a glue.

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Will petroleum products, like vasoline, react with the o rings?

sdrexler078
03-02-2014, 07:07 PM
It may I'm a mechanic and I know a lot of o rings get damaged by petroleum but some don't but that's with cars I'm not sure how yours will react. I would just use what they gave you if anything. I don't use any on mine. If it's to help slide it in you can just use water

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
It may I'm a mechanic and I know a lot of o rings get damaged by petroleum but some don't but that's with cars I'm not sure how yours will react. I would just use what they gave you if anything. I don't use any on mine. If it's to help slide it in you can just use water

Thanks. I think they recommend it to lubricate the seals and keep them from drying out and cracking.

I spilled a quart of oil into the spare tire well of a car once- a new car. The spare was sitting on a petroleum based cushion, for sound insulation. The cushion must have been petroleum based, because it reacted with the oil and turned to mush.

Does anyone else know if Vaseline is safe to lubricate canister o rings?

nc0gnet0
03-02-2014, 07:36 PM
use a beeswax based chapstick.

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 07:41 PM
use a beeswax based chapstick.

Thanks Rick. A little tube of this could be kept with the aquarium stuff.

Do you know if the Vaseline is bad? Actually "Aquaphor" is what I'm using. It is a sterile petroleum jelly.

sdrexler078
03-02-2014, 07:56 PM
A small amount of vasoline should be ok. It doesn't react as bad as wheel bearing grease which I would definitely not recommend.

Bill63SG
03-02-2014, 08:03 PM
I belive vasiline may break down the rubber,why take the chance if the already gave you silicone?

nc0gnet0
03-02-2014, 08:07 PM
While it is true Vaseline can break down rubber, there are very few, in any gaskets/seals made out of rubber anymore. Almost all are made of synthetic materials and Vaseline will not be an issue. Myself, I find a little tube of burts bees chap-stick is pretty handy, easy to work with, and doesn't take up much space in my miscellaneous supply's drawer.

Bill63SG
03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
After quick google,http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?4831-Vaseline-that-O-ring,why chance,I would use burt's,silicone,just not vasoline.

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 08:10 PM
I belive vasiline may break down the rubber,why take the chance if the already gave you silicone?

Bill, they only supplied enough for the initial assembly of the unit. That would be a no brainer if they sent a bottle.

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 08:15 PM
After quick google,http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?4831-Vaseline-that-O-ring,why chance,I would use burt's,silicone,just not vasoline.

Better to err on the side of caution. The last thing I need is to service my canister one day and the top ring is stretched out of shape. Probably a good idea to keep an extra set on hand. Looks like a trip to the drug store.

Bill63SG
03-02-2014, 09:28 PM
They also cary stuff for o-rings at a pool store if you have one near you.

brewmaster15
03-03-2014, 08:32 AM
I know they use Food Grade Silicone spray for alot of metal and non metallic parts in the food industry....not sure how it would work in this application. I use it to keep the feathers on my arrows dry and flexible. It should be fine for gaskets.

The idea behind treating the gasket with something isn't to help it make a seal BTW, its to protect the gasket from drying out and being unable to make a seal.

hth,
al

OC Discus
03-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Some people use Ky Jelly. Food grade.

OC Discus
03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Yea Jeff. I did a google search on silicone lubricant and turned up some interesting results. Almost posted a link here. :)

OC Discus
03-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Yea Jeff. I did a google search on silicone lubricant and turned up some interesting results. Almost posted a link here. :)

I had to place an online order, so I got this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9708

gerald.baranski
03-04-2014, 03:29 PM
I've used this with no ill effect to the fish. If any extra passed through the system I just skimmed from the tank surface

Super Lube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon Multi Purpose Lubricant 3 oz by Loctite http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_aLIftb0NVPRGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk