PDA

View Full Version : What strain is this?

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Does anybody know what strain is this discus?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/u2a7y3uj.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/y2ateryd.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/erutu7yz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terps
03-02-2014, 05:09 PM
That's a white discus that ate a lot of Astaxanthin.

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Snow White

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Sorry, but what do you mean, is it ill?

musicmarn1
03-02-2014, 05:44 PM
No just pink

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Snow White
It was sold to me as a white diamond but I guess it's the same as snow white, although it looks a little pinky but still only 6 cm.

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 06:06 PM
No just pink

Ok so it will go more white when it matures?

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 07:07 PM

I think Terps is referring to a food additive, or an ingredient in food, that causes white fish to turn salmon color and yellow fish to turn orange color. I started a new food and fed exclusively for three weeks and that started to happen to my fish. Before that, I fed only foods without any color enhancer so my albino yellow would not change color. I've eliminated the new food for about a week and the snow white is whitening up again. Also, the orange seems to be fading in the albino yellow.

I don't know the difference in white diamond and snow white. May just be the name. If you don't like the coloring of the white fish, try to use foods without color enhancers. Krill have been identified as a food that does this.

Wes
03-02-2014, 07:11 PM

Sorry, but what do you mean, is it ill?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?102524-Astaxanthin A red enhancer

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Ok just read up on it, thanks guys, this is a great site!

LFCYNWA
03-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Ok so how do I stop my white diamond eating the seafood based food meant to enhance the red on other discus? I could plop him in a net while the others ate it, but that would not be a good idea so should I stop adding it? No more food that enhances colours with white discus?

OC Discus
03-02-2014, 08:35 PM
That is the only option I know of. Or set up separate tanks.

You could cut back that food to once a day and observe for a week or two. I stopped the color enhancing food completely. I hate it too, because it was really good food and cost me about $25.

SortSay2003
03-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Agree w/ OC on the Snow White call because of the iris. Also w/ terps regarding the color (red) enhancer.

LFCYNWA
03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Damn, why didn't I think of this before I bought that fish! This is probably going to cost me another tank:confused:

Skip
03-03-2014, 06:15 PM
looks like normal snow white to me.. based on the pic quality provided..

LFCYNWA
03-03-2014, 06:21 PM
looks like normal snow white to me.. based on the pic quality provided..
Thanks for input Skip, it is only a juvenile so does it change like most discus as it matures and I presume this one will go more white?

Skip
03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
i don't like snow white.. nor have i had any.. but based on the fish sold in past by sponsors from juv. to adults.. its pretty much same color from juv. to adult..

LFCYNWA
03-03-2014, 06:39 PM
So it will always be pinky then or is it what the others are saying about the astaxanthin?

Skip
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
So it will always be pinky then or is it what the others are saying about the astaxanthin?

from what i have seen.. there is some pink.. not like a FULL Pigeon Blood.. but a hint of some other color than solid white..
i have noticed the pinkish colors are usually around face. where the attachment of fin are

LFCYNWA
03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
from what i have seen.. there is some pink.. not like a FULL Pigeon Blood.. but a hint of some other color than solid white..
i have noticed the pinkish colors are usually around face. where the attachment of fin are
So it's not a true white diamond or it has eaten too much astaxanthin, what's your guess?

Skip
03-03-2014, 07:19 PM
So it's not a true white diamond or it has eaten too much astaxanthin, what's your guess?

only from what i have seen.. if the Snow whites are white.. its a little easier to see color differences on the body or in the body..

unless i was feeding tetra bits alot to my fish.. i would not be worried about Color enhancing products in my foods.. UNLESS it states it

its going to be ok.. relax.. enjoy your fish

OC Discus
03-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Its a true white- identical to my snow white wi thw white eyes. Many of them get a light blue in the top fin where I think some blue diamond genes were involved. It is definitely the food that will change the color.

LFCYNWA
03-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Its a true white- identical to my snow white wi thw white eyes. Many of them get a light blue in the top fin where I think some blue diamond genes were involved. It is definitely the food that will change the color.

Blue Diamond for sure, bright blue on the edge of fins and bright blue eyes!

OC Discus
03-03-2014, 07:31 PM
All foods will have some ingredients that can affect color. Some foods are made as color enhancing food. Just avoid those enhancing foods and use a variety.