PDA

View Full Version : About drift wood

donnacona
03-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Is there any treatment to driftwood that can keep it from rotting and will not harm discus.
Thank you

OC Discus
03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
I'd like to know that too.

Skip
03-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Is there any treatment to driftwood that can keep it from rotting and will not harm discus.
Thank you

driftwood should not rot..

where did you get it.. ?
is it still green?

donnacona
03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
From a lake where I camp and no it is not green it is quite old

Len
03-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Any wood is going to rot. It's natural and won't harm the fish. Since it's from a lake. you should soak in in bleach or PP to make sure there aren't any nasties in it, or you can even bake it in the oven if it will fit. To answer your question though as it was posed - no you can't treat the wood with anything.

bayouboy85
03-05-2014, 02:43 PM
boil it on and off for a few hours boil it for a couple hours change the water and repeat process and u will be good

DiscusLoverJeff
03-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Are you seeing signs of rotting or are you seeing a possible fungus growth?

Sometimes pieces of wood will breakoff when cleaning.

OC Discus
03-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I boiled a piece of Mopani wood three times for an hour each time and rinsed between each time. It continued to leech tannin after I put it in the tank. Is it possible to stop Mopani or other woods from leeching?

OC Discus
03-05-2014, 06:44 PM
yes.. time

Skip,

Can you give approximate time for major types of wood for it to stop leeching?

DiscusLoverJeff
03-05-2014, 08:36 PM
I have Mopani in one of my tanks. I took well over 3 months. If you keep up on your water changes, you will hardly know its there.

adapted
03-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Mopani will leach tannins with the best of them. I've bought four pieces of it...I've cycled them through scalding baths in a Rubbermaid tub a dozen times and still it looks like someone dumped tea in the tank. But it's getting better, slowly. I think it's worth it... great looking wood.

Len
03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
I like the look of the stained water. It will go away after awhile and like was already mentioned, frequent WCs will keep it fairly light if they're large enough.

kkdiscus
03-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I hate it when the water changed to TEA colour. Love the clarity of the tank after each water change.

I did boil my driftwood for several hours before I first put it into the tank. It helps sinking the wood as well. I have just removed it yesterday though, as it traps too much nitrate underneath it, making cleaning hard.

donnacona
03-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I hate it when the water changed to TEA colour. Love the clarity of the tank after each water change.

I did boil my driftwood for several hours before I first put it into the tank. It helps sinking the wood as well. I have just removed it yesterday though, as it traps too much nitrate underneath it, making cleaning hard.

I do not have any problems with water changing color but there is a small bit of what I think is algae it is a couple of fuzzy balls that keep coming back, I don't have any algae eaters in the tank but I will be putting three in the new 77 gal I'm setting up after their quarantine.
Also what about disinfecting small pieces in a microwave has anyone tried it, or do they explode.